Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Word is that the quasi-emergency measures to start from Monday in Tokyo will include the 23 wards and several other cities (but not Mitaka, because nobody cares about Mitaka)

Kyoto measure will be for the city of Kyoto, and Okinawa will be mostly cities on the main island.
Perhaps they will wall off Kabuki-Cho and let folks in but never out.....kind of like the "Hotel California".
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. I’ve heard that the usual military seaplane option is the contingency for a sudden medical emergency. I think that evacuating an infected patient is going to add some complexity to that exercise.
I think they had a Covid evacuation last year. Jieitai heli to Iwojima and then Coast Guard jet from Iwojima to Haneda (if I remember correctly)
freecia and jib71 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
I think they had a Covid evacuation last year. Jieitai heli to Iwojima and then Coast Guard jet from Iwojima to Haneda (if I remember correctly)
Now you mention it, I think I remember that. Not the kind of thing that you can easily do with a patient who requires ventilation, so someone has to make the call before the patient gets to that stage. And oh look ... the cost of airlifting a patient who requires ventilation is 4 lakh
https://www.timesnownews.com/busines...t-costs/650127

Last edited by jib71; Apr 8, 2021 at 10:51 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:49 pm

Duplicate
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Now you mention it, I think I remember that. Not the kind of thing that you can easily do with a patient who requires ventilation, so someone has to make the call before the patient gets to that stage. And oh look ... the cost of airlifting a patient who requires ventilation is 4 lakh
https://www.timesnownews.com/busines...t-costs/650127
What the heck is a lakh?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:20 pm

What the heck is a lakh?
10万 (juu-man) Unit of 100,000 in India https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakh
400,000 rupees = ~ 580,000 JPY = ~5,300 USD

For USD heli evac, that seems like a bargain. Bengaluru to Chennai is ~ 6.5 - 7 hrs drive on Google Maps at the moment or 50min flight.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:46 pm

The vaccination schedule is interesting. I would have thought that it would make sense to have a broader vaccination of all people over, say, 50. The population is small so it won’t greatly impact on the mainlanders’ vaccination plans. Pfizer vaccine comes in fixed quantity trays and is hard to transport so it would make sense to carry a larger quantity at once. The benefit of getting a broader population vaccinated is great - the human and economic cost of dealing with an outbreak on the remote islands would be significant.
The population might actually skew younger than some mainland villages of similar size?

https://ecitizen.jp/Population/City/13421
https://www.vill.ogasawara.tokyo.jp/...enryaku_an.pdf

65 and older is the official age bracket for the second group, correct? What is the third group? Perhaps they can use spare doses on those with health issues which put them at higher risk and/or essential workers? I'm guessing they would follow the rules but spares due to being administered in multiples of 6 + transport + declined should have a way of being used rather than discarded. Talk about mottainai.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by freecia
The population might actually skew younger than some mainland villages of similar size?

https://ecitizen.jp/Population/City/13421
https://www.vill.ogasawara.tokyo.jp/...enryaku_an.pdf

65 and older is the official age bracket for the second group, correct? What is the third group? Perhaps they can use spare doses on those with health issues which put them at higher risk and/or essential workers? I'm guessing they would follow the rules but spares due to being administered in multiples of 6 + transport + declined should have a way of being used rather than discarded. Talk about mottainai.
My understanding is that the third group are adults with as yet unspecified underlying conditions.

My other understanding is that for islands with a small population, they will just vaccinate everyone that wants it regardless of age to avoid waste.
jib71 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is supposedly a ferry that will do a swing around remote islands off Kagoshima, once in April and once in May for second doses.
jib71 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:58 am

What the heck is a lakh?
Not sure, but I'm getting a hint of why nothing changes when I complain about the lack of capable staff ...
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
537 cases in Tokyo today, seems we have hit a bit of a plateau, then we can start speculation on how long a plateau, and whether we go up or down after.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
537 cases in Tokyo today, seems we have hit a bit of a plateau
Haven't you learned how to play the game by now? The only valid comparison is between the same days of the week.

The last four Fridays have been 303, 376, 440, and 534. Doesn't look like a plateau to me.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Haven't you learned how to play the game by now? The only valid comparison is between the same days of the week.

The last four Fridays have been 303, 376, 440, and 534. Doesn't look like a plateau to me.
Considering your Google Trends prediction of 1,000 cases for today...

On a serious note, 303, 376, 440, 534, and 537 does actually look like hitting a plateau. Also as Friday/Saturday has normally been the highest numbers of the week and we were higher than 537 earlier this week, there are signs that we are plateauing. Plateauing at a (for Tokyo) relatively high number.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering your Google Trends prediction of 1,000 cases for today...
My Google Trends? What am I doing here if I'm a billionaire...

On a serious note, 303, 376, 440, 534, and 537 does actually look like hitting a plateau.
Excuse me for the typo. Three weeks prior was 303. Two weeks prior was 376. Last Friday was 440. Today was 537.

Moreover the seven day average was 115.6% of the seven day average a week ago. This is about the same percentage as last week's number was to two weeks ago. So if anything is plateauing, it's the rate of increase.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Google Trends? What am I doing here if I'm a billionaire...

Excuse me for the typo. Three weeks prior was 303. Two weeks prior was 376. Last Friday was 440. Today was 537.

Moreover the seven day average was 115.6% of the seven day average a week ago. This is about the same percentage as last week's number was to two weeks ago. So if anything is plateauing, it's the rate of increase.
Even billionaires can be interested in discussing what happens around them...

But with the 534 being the 537 of today, yes the Friday trend does not look promising. Though normally also numbers increase over the week Tuesday through Saturday, then quite low Sunday and Monday. So let's see....

Once we ended the SOE, a certain increase in cases would be expected, as you as a consequence get more activity in society. The question really is how much more, and for how long will there be growth. Osaka clearly far more than Tokyo so far. Though Tokyo still have a change to catch up. I'll be moderately optimistic for a bit still though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.