Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused entry at Tokyo restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kannai
Most gay bars in Japan are tiny. And most are type-specific, whether that's bears or chubs or twinks or whatever. They don't people who don't fit that type taking up space.
Listen, if it had been in the US, I would have been insulted. But in Japan, I recognize that gaijin aversion is a part of their culture.

It wasn't the size of the bar. It wasn't all the other 'reasons' people are coming up with.

It is an aversion to foreigners. I get it.

I just recognize it for what it was and moved on.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit Japan again. I absolutely loved my visit. But it is what it is. And you just spend your money where people welcome you, and not where they don't want you.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Youse gets your "letter of support" from a member, you're welcome to join. Otherwise, sod off.
Your mafia dialect is showing through.... (just kidding)

But in all seriousness... I frankly love Japan, but the people who talk about discrimination and foreigner/gaijin aversion are more likely to be correct than the ones trying to defend them. I'm not saying that everyone is racist but it is highly prevalent and fully even into the upper reaches of the government. Take for instance:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/b...immigrant.html

Japan has a history of paying actual citizens of foreign descent to leave. This is an article from 2009, but the first time I'd heard about this was at least 25 years ago how the government created a special program to pay anyone of African descent to leave Japan and live in Brazil. I didn't actually believe it at the time, but then this article came out over a decade later which makes me think there was some truth to the first time I heard the story. This story also popped up the other day:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...hnic-identity/

Although he apologizes for it later due to the controversy, you have to consider what he was actually saying, and the pride with which he originally said it. Japan is Japanese only... and this is coming from one of the top leaders in the government. And of course:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-applications/

I think this last one speaks for itself.

Now... I'm not saying they're wrong or right. Ethnocentrism and racism have recently been repackaged as "populist" and have gained a lot of traction worldwide in recent years. I think I don't need to point out the various current world leaders that fall under this flag. However, most countries go through phases of "populism" that ebb and fade. In the case of Japan, at least according to the Deputy Prime Minister, it has lasted for 2,000 years. I don't agree with it but at the end of the day, it's their country.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:46 am

Yes, this happens in Japan especially in the entertainment/hospitality industry (ironically). Small local establishments see themselves as informal clubs. Even an unknown Japanese customer would get the cold shoulder. However, said Japanese would also understand the 'rules' and politely excuse themselves. Bring a foreigner into that scenario and boom. Red flags and paranoia abound.

However, it IS illegal, even though enforcement is spotty at best. Many shops try to explain it away by saying that admitting foreign guests would discomfort their regular customers and cost them business. But frankly, that's too bad. Open to the public means ALL the public. Especially in such an international city as Tokyo, with the Olympics coming this year.

There was a famous (locally) case several years ago of a caucasian man (American by birth but naturalized Japanese citizen) being refused entry into a public bath merely for being foreign looking. His wife could enter, one of his daughters could as she looked more Japanese but the other could not as she resembled her father more. He sued and won a settlement from the business.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
It wasn't the size of the bar. It wasn't all the other 'reasons' people are coming up with.

It is an aversion to foreigners. I get it.
Most gay bars have "admission criteria" posted on their websites or other directories, indicating what body type / hair style / Japanese proficiency / ages .. etc they would admit.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:14 pm

There is a whole constellation of Michellin Star-caliber restaurants in Tokyo that remain critically and publicly unknown due to their membership and guest policies.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
And there are more great restaurants in Tokyo that will accept you than you can ever possibly hope to visit in a single lifetime.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by hailstorm
And there are more great restaurants in Tokyo that will accept you than you can ever possibly hope to visit in a single lifetime.
True but for some it's omg the FOMO!!!!

Last edited by fimo; Jan 26, 2020 at 1:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.