How long to stay in Hiroshima?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to stay in Hiroshima?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'm sure that the island wouldn't be famous if it didn't have its famous torii, but I think its worth visiting even when the torii is under wraps - for the deer, the park, the small-town feel, the cable car ride (or healthy hike) to the mountain top and the view from there. YMMV.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:50 am

I guess the question of whether to visit Miyajima while the Torii is under scaffolding boils down to whether you will visit Japan again in the future. If this is it for Japan, sure, may as well go see it. If you plan on coming back, I would just hold off.

FYI, I went to Japan for the first time in 2016. Before I went, I assumed that it would be a 1 time experience for me. Next year will be my 3rd trip there
beanie72 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

We'll be going at the end of April, so hopefully the scaffolding is gone. It is definitely on our must-see list.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by azotw
We'll be going at the end of April, so hopefully the scaffolding is gone.
Afraid not.

From japan-guide.com:
CONSTRUCTION NOTICE:

Renovation works on Miyajima's famous floating torii gate started in June 2019. During the renovation works, the torii gate is covered up under a partially transparent scaffolding. Furthermore, a bridge is being built on the left side of the gate (when viewed from the shrine) to aid the renovation works. A date for the completion of the renovation works has not been set yet, but the works are expected to take at least one year.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Just my luck...sigh. Well, at least there are some other sites/museums/etc to keep us busy.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by azotw
Just my luck...sigh. Well, at least there are some other sites/museums/etc to keep us busy.
I also have a lot of really bad luck when it comes to scaffolding. Went to China earlier this year and did the Big Buddha cruise, Buddha was completely covered up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.