Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-End Traditional Washoku in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
High-End Traditional Washoku in Tokyo

I need a recommendation for a high-end, non-sushi, traditional Washoku restaurant in Tokyo. Not Nihonryori Ryugin, which seems to get really bad reviews, but something similar - seasonal menu, non-tourist clientele, high-end ingredients, presentation and ambiance, but reservations are doable within 30 days of the dining date.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you ask your hotel concierge for suggestions?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

High end washoku to me suggests
母さんの台所 (Mother’s Kitchen) in Ginza

But I think you yourself mean somewhere more along the lines of Kasuitei https://kasuitei.jp/

I’m not done with exhausting Teishoku options in Tokyo yet, the concept of rarefied washoku isn’t something I’ve ever looked into.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Sounds like you are looking at Kaiseki Ryori (懐石料理) or similar type of a restaurant which is called Ryoutei (料亭).. I do agree one of good source is to ask recommendation from your hotel.

When you mentioned "high end" I am not sure how higher up you are looking at. Typically in Japan those truly high end restaurants, which considered to be at the top of the game, usually has a policy of "Ichigennsann Okotowari" (一見さんお断り) which means they will not take a customer who are not familiar for them. Those truly high end Ryoutei do not have their phone number public, they do not have a web site or any form of commercial materials. They only take a customers they know, and new customers are only taken by a recommendation by current customers and they only take new customers with a proper background and when they know a new customer will become their regular, not just one time visit.

Those restaurants are obviously not listed on Michelin Guide. Through their corporate connection of corporate Michelin, Michelin Guide has been able to visit those restaurants but pretty much most of them declined to be listed on Michelin Guide and been asked Michelin not to mention their name in any way.

If you are looking at those truly the top restaurants then often those are out of reach of people like us. That just the way things work in Japan.
LapLap and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:18 am

I'm not a connoissoir of high-end or critically-acclaimed or Michelin world when it comes to Tokyo dining.
But... Tofutei at Gajoen.

I'm really a one-trick pony when it comes to kaiseki rec in Tokyo, as this is one of the few kaiseki places I've actually been to in Tokyo. But perhaps it may meet some of your requirements. Gajoen is an elegant facility with a great ambiance. And you should definitely be able to book a table on a short notice.

I'm more of a buffet and casual dining guy and kaiseki is totally wasted on me, so I cannot judge their food. But I know my family rates the place highly.
bocastephen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.