Wiki Posts
Search

Sumo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Sumo

Ok, I may be the only one who gives a hoot but this month's Grand Sumo Tournament at the Kukugikan is an absolute slaughter. Both yokozunas have dropped out with injuries, along with the top ozeki. The two remaining ozekis are performing so poorly that they are at risk of missing their majority of wins. The rest of the guys are beating up on each other so badly that the eventual tournament champion may wind up winning with 3, 4 or even 5 losses. It is brutal this time. Wish I was there.
LapLap, rustykettel and Shi like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The two remaining ozekis are performing so poorly that they are at risk of missing their majority of wins.
Goeido is still in contention to win the yusho with his 9-4 record, and he has looked really good the last couple of bouts. I wouldn't be surprised if he managed a from-behind win. Tochinoshin will have a tough time winning his last two; I suspect he will get demoted.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Wish I was there.
Yes, me too, it has been a very exciting tournament. Hoping either Takakeisho or Mitakeumi will win the cup.
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have been watching highlights that NHK shows daily in English on my cable system. I don't remember a tournament where so many high level wrestlers either dropped out or kept losing! Maybe this tournament was programmed by Vince McMahon.
abmj-jr and Shi like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Sumo wrestler Hibikiryu dies aged 28 one month after match

Hibikiryu aged 28 died one month after suffering concussion during a match (he apparently fell on his head)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56933613
Old May 2, 2021, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hibikiryu aged 28 died one month after suffering concussion during a match (he apparently fell on his head)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56933613
I saw that match (won't post a link to it; you can find it on Youtube if you really want to). He was trying throw someone by the belt but fell down first without a hand to protect himself. It was something that could have happened to anyone. A real tragedy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.