Reload this Page >

4 Weeks in Kyushu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Weeks in Kyushu

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:04 pm

3 days in Sage seems a little long. It's rural and don't have much to visit unless you are going to Takeo Onsen at the same time. Also, I'd add Beepu/Oita in there. They are worthy destinations and aren't too far from FUK. If you like shopping stop by the Tosu outlets outside of FUK
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Beepu! I love it. We should keep it. Right up there with Rappungi.
Cheetah_SA and cowie like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Beepu! I love it. We should keep it. Right up there with Rappungi.
What, with Ickybukero?

For the rail fans, Saga has the Chikugo River Lift Bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikugo_River_Lift_Bridge. It is pedestrian only these days.

Shimabara is connected-ish to Kumamoto by a ferry https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4451.html and a few buses/taxi if you're a pedestrian.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Taipei
(JR Kyushu has some interesting trains).
I noticed that myself. stylish both inside and out. Feel like they could install a lot more seats per train if they wanted to. here's a pic i took of the train's interior (was a train from Oita)

Originally Posted by V6Lover
3 days in Sage seems a little long. It's rural and don't have much to visit unless you are going to Takeo Onsen at the same time. Also, I'd add Beepu/Oita in there.
OP said the 3 days in Sage were for festivals. I'm personally not a huge fan of Beepu. It's okay, but there are onsen places with much better ambiance. Same goes for Beppu.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:56 pm

Kyushu recommendations

we just got back from a trip to Japan that included a few days in southern Kyushu. I recommend spending some time on the Miyazaki coast. Heading south there are the Easter island replica statutes at Sunmesse, the cliff-side Udo cave shrine and the castle ruins at Obi. The island shrine off Aoshima is also worth a stop and there are some nice beachside bars in the area as well. We also spent a day at the natural hot spring onsen in Kirishima. You can actually see jets of steam shooting out of the ground. If we had more time we would have explored Kagoshima and the sakurajima volcano.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taipei
I am not sure you will visit Beppu? I was there two weeks ago, liked the hot springs and the Monkey Park (even though there are like Monkeys in Kaoshiung Taiwan here, the ones here are not so tame) and chance to ride the special trains was a thrill for me (JR Kyushu has some interesting trains).
If we go to Beppu, we will struggle with enough time for the islands , which I'm very keen on. As we will (hopefully) stay at Kurokawa Onsen and Unzen Onsen, we should get to enjoy plenty of nice baths

Originally Posted by evergrn
I noticed that myself. stylish both inside and out. Feel like they could install a lot more seats per train if they wanted to. here's a pic i took of the train's interior (was a train from Oita)

OP said the 3 days in Sage were for festivals. I'm personally not a huge fan of Beepu. It's okay, but there are onsen places with much better ambiance. Same goes for Beppu.
The train is super cool!
I think Saga will be 3 nights/2 days. 2 nights would probably be enough but it would now cost more to change to 2 nights than stick with 3 as hotel costs have risen. The Karatsu Kunchi festival looks unmissable, the
definitely seems like it's worth half a day, wouldn't you agree?

Originally Posted by xychromosome
we just got back from a trip to Japan that included a few days in southern Kyushu. I recommend spending some time on the Miyazaki coast. Heading south there are the Easter island replica statutes at Sunmesse, the cliff-side Udo cave shrine and the castle ruins at Obi. The island shrine off Aoshima is also worth a stop and there are some nice beachside bars in the area as well. We also spent a day at the natural hot spring onsen in Kirishima. You can actually see jets of steam shooting out of the ground. If we had more time we would have explored Kagoshima and the sakurajima volcano.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks a lot, I've planned a day or two for the Miyazaki coast, realistic?

Last edited by armagebedar; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:39 pm Reason: multiple subsequent posts
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:47 am

We were there for 2 days and that was plenty of time. We stayed at the Holiday Inn at Aoshima which was a convenient location for exploring that area.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Updated Itinerary

Now the winter flights are available I've updated my itinerary.

Any comments are most welcome, especially on the amount of time in Yakushima and Amami Oshima and where to stay in going from Kagoshima along the Miyazaki Coast.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.