Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Sports thread (besides Baseball, Sumo, Olympics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Sports thread (besides Baseball, Sumo, Olympics)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:20 am
Original Poster

J1 average league match attendance was announced to have exceeded 20,000 for the first time.
That's really awesome. In comparison, Serie A is ~25,000, so not far behind.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
I made a stop at Tokyo Racecourse during my visit to Japan in April. JRA has a mini museum on the grounds. Fun bit was sitting on a (plastic) horse with a starting gate that swung open when you pushed a button. It sounded really violent, no wonder why some horses hate going in it. I forgot to take a picture of it, but here's some real horses and a gate:

Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Going to watch a session of the Japan National Curling Championships next month in Karuizawa. Will be my first time watching live curling since the Nagano Olympics.

In the past, admittance was free to everyone, and there were rarely more than a smattering of fans in the stands. Now they sell seats for each session at between 2000-5000 yen a seat, and several of the sessions have already sold out.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

J1 club Sagan Tosu in financial crisis, on verge of folding.

They apparently are close to $20million USD in red.
J-League will not offer assistance loan to the club, as there's no realistic prospect of the club being able to pay back within 3 years which is the condition for any assistance.
Apparently the only options are to fold, be relegated to amateur status, or miraculously find some white knight.

Very sad to see this, less than 2 years after they made a splash with Fernando Torres signing for 8 oku (>$7million USD) a year.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Hideki Matsuyama wins a major!
Long overdue.
A big monkey off the shoulder for a Japanese man to have finally won a major!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And how fitting that it's the most racist and sexist major of them all!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
And how fitting that it's the most racist and sexist major of them all!
And that's saying something when you consider the competition:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...major-gowen-is
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

I had to google to find out what hailstorm was referring to, and I guess I don't understand the relevance of jib's follow-up.
Regardless, this is an accomplishment a lot of people have been waiting a long time for.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't understand the relevance of jib's follow-up.
My comment pointed to a more racist major.
I could have inserted a video clip, but decided that the article about the scene would be less likely to offend.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I had to google to find out what hailstorm was referring to, ....
Augusta National has been one of the most racist and sexist institutions in one of the most racist states for over a century. Until relatively recently, the club would not allow women or blacks as members and restricted even when they could play as guests. No non-white was even allowed to play in the Masters until 1975, although several players were otherwise qualified. All of that has been changing slowly but the reputation persists.

None of the above detracts at all from the achievement of Matsuyama. He simply played much better than anyone else, particularly on the final day. His calm under intense pressure was amazing. An achievement to be proud of.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
None of the above detracts at all from the achievement of Matsuyama. He simply played much better than anyone else, particularly on the final day. His calm under intense pressure was amazing. An achievement to be proud of.
After the first couple holes, he was in command pretty much the entire final round.
He was up by 5 shots after the 14th hole, I think. Couldn't believe how quickly that lead evaporated with Matsuyama's shot into the water and Xander roaring back. But as soon as Xander himself hit one in the water on the 16th, it was game over. So the whole day was tense, but I would say there was never any nail-biting moment, and kudos to Matsuyama for having no meltdown.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:31 pm

After the first couple holes, he was in command pretty much the entire final round.
He was up by 5 shots after the 14th hole, I think. Couldn't believe how quickly that lead evaporated with Matsuyama's shot into the water and Xander roaring back. But as soon as Xander himself hit one in the water on the 16th, it was game over. So the whole day was tense, but I would say there was never any nail-biting moment, and kudos to Matsuyama for having no meltdown.
you must not have watched how easy it is to collapse at Augusta. I still feel sad for Norman's collapse. that course is unforgiving.

I'm so happy matsuyama hung on. Generational changing sport moment for Japan. Like when Japan beat scotland in the rugby world cup. Very important events.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Topcare
you must not have watched how easy it is to collapse at Augusta. I still feel sad for Norman's collapse. that course is unforgiving.

I'm so happy matsuyama hung on. Generational changing sport moment for Japan. Like when Japan beat scotland in the rugby world cup. Very important events.
Probably the match that’s considered by Jpn rugby fans and media to be the most historical and biggest upset is the SAfrica match from the 2015 WC.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:19 am
Original Poster

tennis ranking

Nishikori's slipped all the way down to No.57 in the world and, in fact, he's no longer Jpn's top-ranked player.
I read that he may not even be eligible for the Olympics. Unbelievable. Was hoping he'd get on the medal stand again, this time in his home country.

I don't understand this at all.
2 months ago, he was ranked No.39.
He's played in 4 tournaments in the last 2 months with record of 8 wins 4 losses, with all but 3 opponents in top-30.
Meanwhile Milos Raonic has played 0 match during that same period and his ranking stays the same.
So how the hell does Nishikori plummet nearly 20 places in ranking?!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nishikori made it to the Fourth Round at Roland Garros this year, and that hasn't been factored in yet, so I assume his rank will be going up a bit. He should be fine for the Olympics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.