HOOTERS Japan in bankruptcy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

HJ, the company which operates HOOTERS restaurants in Japan has filed reorganization plan in the bankruptcy court in Japan. HJ has a franchise agreement with HOOTERS in the U.S. and opened first HOOTERS restaurant at Akasaka, Tokyo in 2010. Initially HOOTERS did well in Japan and expanded to 7 restaurants. However, after initial hype in the media HOOTERS restaurants struggled to increase sales and lately were showing decline in sales. February of this year HOOTERS at Fukuoka was closed and now reorganization at the bankruptcy court.

Any thoughts on why HOOTERS did not work in Japan?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
No maid outfits?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:36 pm

This is very sad
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe people started trying to eat the food?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Any thoughts on why HOOTERS did not work in Japan?
I have some thoughts but they would send this thread to OMNI/PR pretty quickly.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I simply love their Buffalo Shrimp. My local Hooter's (across the street from Shanghai Library) closed for renovations about a month ago, and I have been saddened by its absence. I hope it reopens soon, but I don't have a good feeling about this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I don't think it was the food. I think it was the marketing. The outlets were full of kids and couples. For some reason the Japanese thought it was a family restaurant.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:08 am

Hooters not doing great in my neck of the wood either. Was sad when the one in Vancouver closed. Ones in Seattle just disappeared. The problem could also be the waitress' attire is not aggressive enough, lagging behind their competitors'.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Exactly. Even their fried chicken is subpar.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by moondog
I simply love their Buffalo Shrimp. My local Hooter's (across the street from Shanghai Library) closed for renovations about a month ago, and I have been saddened by its absence. I hope it reopens soon, but I don't have a good feeling about this.
Hooters in Shanghai is entirely different than Japan and the food there (especially the fried boneless chicken wings) is passingly decent. I’ve been to the Pudong one a few times.

Same can’t be said for the Ginza or Akasaka branches.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational

Hooters in Shanghai is entirely different than Japan and the food there (especially the fried boneless chicken wings) is passingly decent. I’ve been to the Pudong one a few times.

Same can’t be said for the Ginza or Akasaka branches.
I have never visited a Hooter's in Japan; my ex-gf didn't let me. But, I frequently went to the Shanghai Library branch, which is only 3 minutes away from me (walking). They dropped their prices by 30% 6 months ago. Perhaps this revenue loss was too big for them to keep paying the rent. I have a picture on my phone that I can potentially post here; the gist of it is that the inside is currently completely demolished.

Off topic, Outback is also gone (from Shanghai), and they started serving USDA Prime steaks during their final month, which were very nice.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
The Chain apoears to be in decline globally. Certainly in the U.S. And the Beijing branch near gong ti closed.

Flyer talk connection: anyone ever take Hooters air?
​​​
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720
The Chain apoears to be in decline globally. Certainly in the U.S. And the Beijing branch near gong ti closed.

Flyer talk connection: anyone ever take Hooters air?
​​​
Sad to hear this. I have many friends who used to work there.

Scantily clad ladies or not, I honestly prefer Hooter's to TGIF, Applebee's, O'Charley's, Chili's, and Ruby Tuesdays. And, it appears that we don't have any of these options in China any more.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by moondog
Sad to hear this. I have many friends who used to work there.

Scantily clad ladies or not, I honestly prefer Hooter's to TGIF, Applebee's, O'Charley's, Chili's, and Ruby Tuesdays. And, it appears that we don't have any of these options in China any more.
I did see one in Taipei the other day! Though whether that constitutes "China" is firmly in OMNI territory
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:36 pm

My wife and I have eaten at Hooters in Japan 3 times over the years, at her suggestion. (Not that I didn't enjoy it.)

First time, in Akasaka, the food was great and the waitresses were cheerful and seemed to enjoy working there. They also let us take as many photos and videos as we wanted - we even asked in advance to make sure, and everybody was doing it. It was a real party atmosphere.

Second time was a totally different experience. I can't remember which location this was but it wasn't Akasaka and was a couple years later. The food was at best unremarkable, and they seemed to have a new no-video policy. The waitstaff seemed rushed and not particularly cheerful, although you could say it was more like a US Hooters in that way so it seemed kinda normal to me. But not like a place in Japan.

Third time we went thinking maybe the second was an anomaly, but it was even worse. Every time we tried to take a pic or video, somebody rushed over to stop us. The food was borderline inedible. The waitstaff looked like they could not wait to get out of there. We barely had any service.

I think they got into a vicious cycle somewhere where the food and service began deteriorating, which probably caused business to drop off, which led to further morale problems, and repeat.

I don't think the fact that families went had anything to do with it; there's nothing particularly adult about Hooters, and families go in the US too. I think families *not* going at the end probably had more to do with the bankruptcy... generally it's a lack of customers that leads to that, not too many of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.