Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Transportation suggestions from HND to Conrad Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP

Hi FT community,

Wife and I will be travelling from BKK to Tokyo. From flights, it looks like we can take a red-eye on JL arriving to HND at 6:05 am local time. We will be staying at the Conrad Tokyo (105-7337, Tokyo, 1-9-1 Higashi-Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Japan), and wanted to get thoughts/suggestions on fastest way to get hotel without breaking the bank? Looking at Klook, there is a private taxi from HND to Tokyo for starting at $93 USD.......knowing that we can't check in, we like to get to hotel to leave our luggage and start exploring. This will be our 1st time in Tokyo and not sure if $93 for one-way airport transfer is the "norm"

Mods, apologize if this isn't the right place to post thread and feel free to move correct thread.

Thanks in advance for guidance!
Valuechaser likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Do you have much luggage?

I did this trip in January with a Large suitcase and It was ok.

From the International terminal I took the Keikyu -Kuko ( towards Keisei-Takasago), got off at Shimbashi and walked on the overhead passage ( follow signs for the Yurikamome rail ine and follow the tracks which will be above you, follow the curve and at Shiodome station go down the escalator to the entrance lobby for the Conrad ( about 10min walk from Shimbashi station) for Y490. The train was a limited express train IIRC and first stopped at Shinagawa then may be another stop before Shimbashi ( there was a map showing the station stops on the departure time screens. You can take the luggage trolley onto the platform but not the train ( there is a place to put your trolley by the wall on the platform)

Going back I took a regular taxi to Hamamatsucho (Y570) then the Tokyo monorail ( about Y490) to the International Terminal and with the suitcase and a back pack it was ok

There will be more advice on the Hilton Honors forum for the Conrad Tokyo ( lobby is on the 28th floor)

Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Transportation Links:
https://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/...irections.html

Says the Taxi fare is Y8000. ( I think it is about $75) but Klook might include a meet and greet.

The limosine bus is convenient but the timings to the Conrad look lousy ( first one is early afternoon)

You could ask at check in if you could use the Executive lounge for a little while before exploring Tokyo ( as you are a HH diamond per your profile)
I spent 3 days at the Conrad in January this year and loved it.

When are you heading to Tokyo?

Regards

TBS
LapLap and Valuechaser like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Feb 10, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

From the International terminal I took the Keikyu -Kuko ( towards Keisei-Takasago), got off at Shimbashi and walked on the overhead passage way to the Conrad ( about 10min walk from Shimbashi station) for Y490

Going back I took a regular taxi to Hamamatsucho (Y570) then the Tokyo monorail ( about Y490) to the International Terminal and with the suitcase and a back pack it was ok

Regards

TBS

There will be more advice on the Hilton Honors forum for the Conrad Tokyo
Thank you for the suggestion and I'll start combing through the Conrad Tokyo forum! We're only going for 3 days so will probably only have 1 medium size suitcase that we'll check and each of us will have backpacks for carry on. We may just avoid the check bags altogether and each of us bring our own carry on.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
we had plenty luggage (5pcs for 3 ppl) but the walk from shinbashi to conrad isnt hard if you know where to look for - covered underground all the way.

or to save a good part of 100 bucks you can take the monorail to hammamatsucho then taxi- it wont be frowned upon.

and yes- taxi to conrad should be around 90usd. its 8800 yen from hnd to taukiji market, which is around the corner from conrad.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 12, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:16 pm

Generally speaking, Keikyu train from HND to Shinbashi (as mentioned by Banking Scot) is the way to go. Keep in mind, though, that it's not only the Keisei Takasago bound trains that go to Shinbashi. Keikyu trains bound for Inba Nihonidai Medical, NRT, Aoto and Keisei Takasago all go to Shinbashi.

Once you get off at Shinbashi, maybe it's just me but I always find it a chore to find my way to Conrad (mind you, this is getting off at JR Shinbashi Station). I've stayed at Conrad many times but I still get lost. You see signs to Conrad initially, but it's not posted consistently and the Conrad signs disappear and instead you have to start following the signs for Shiodome Building. Going from the hotel to the station is always more straightforward, though. You'll probably be fine, because everyone else seems to say it's easy to get there. But I'm just sharing my experience.

If you want the most fail-proof but economical way to get to the hotel, take the monorail to the last stop Hamamatsucho then taxi to Conrad.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

From the International terminal I took the Keikyu -Kuko ( towards Keisei-Takasago), got off at Shimbashi and walked on the overhead passage ( follow signs for the Yurikamome rail ine and follow the tracks which will be above you, follow the curve and at Shiodome station go down the escalator to the entrance lobby for the Conrad ( about 10min walk from Shimbashi station) for Y490. The train was a limited express train IIRC and first stopped at Shinagawa then may be another stop before Shimbashi ( there was a map showing the station stops on the departure time screens. You can take the luggage trolley onto the platform but not the train ( there is a place to put your trolley by the wall on the platform)

There will be more advice on the Hilton Honors forum for the Conrad Tokyo ( lobby is on the 28th floor)

Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Transportation Links:
https://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/...irections.html

Says the Taxi fare is Y8000. ( I think it is about $75) but Klook might include a meet and greet.

The limosine bus is convenient but the timings to the Conrad look lousy ( first one is early afternoon)

You could ask at check in if you could use the Executive lounge for a little while before exploring Tokyo ( as you are a HH diamond per your profile)
I spent 3 days at the Conrad in January this year and loved it.

When are you heading to Tokyo?

Regards

TBS
Great idea about the executive lounge.....we are heading there the second week of June.....never to early to research and start planning. Thx!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Generally speaking, Keikyu train from HND to Shinbashi (as mentioned by Banking Scot) is the way to go. Keep in mind, though, that it's not only the Keisei Takasago bound trains that go to Shinbashi. Keikyu trains bound for Inba Nihonidai Medical, NRT, Aoto and Keisei Takasago all go to Shinbashi.

Once you get off at Shinbashi, maybe it's just me but I always find it a chore to find my way to Conrad (mind you, this is getting off at JR Shinbashi Station). I've stayed at Conrad many times but I still get lost. You see signs to Conrad initially, but it's not posted consistently and the Conrad signs disappear and instead you have to start following the signs for Shiodome Building. Going from the hotel to the station is always more straightforward, though. You'll probably be fine, because everyone else seems to say it's easy to get there. But I'm just sharing my experience.

If you want the most fail-proof but economical way to get to the hotel, take the monorail to the last stop Hamamatsucho then taxi to Conrad.
Thank you for the suggestion about monorail to Hamamatsucho I'm assuming you can take the monorail right from HND?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by A651346
Thank you for the suggestion about monorail to Hamamatsucho I'm assuming you can take the monorail right from HND?
yes. Both monorail and Keikyu leave right from the terminal.
kaka likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Hi all- bumping this thread, as I'm heading to the Tokyo next week, and my plans just changed such that I'll be heading to the Conrad from HND. My flight gets in at 5:10am and I'll be travelling with my wife and 2 teenage kids, and some luggage (probably 3 full sized suitcases and a carryon). From this thread, it sound like both the monorail+taxi and Keikyu are feasible cost-effective ways for us to get to the hotel-- given that we have the luggage, is one of those a better option than the other?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
  • Keikyu Line (510 JPY each) + Walk (500m - Free!!) is cheapest but your family won't thank you for making them walk half a km with luggage.
  • Monorail (500 JPY each) + Taxi (2,000 JPY?) is less onerous on paper, but Hamamatsucho station is a mess right now. I regularly pass through on my own but ...
  • More relaxing would be to take a large taxi all the way from the airport to the hotel. You'll need one of the minivan style taxis. The cost should be around 8,000 JPY I think. (Flat rate). Twice the price of the Monorail option for a family of four and worth it IMO.

Last edited by jib71; Feb 4, 2024 at 11:02 pm Reason: No flat rate to Minato Ward (too close to the airport). Flat rate applies to other Tokyo wards farther from HND..
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
  • Keikyu Line (510 JPY each) + Walk (500m - Free!!) is cheapest but your family won't thank you for making them walk half a km with luggage.
  • Monorail (500 JPY each) + Taxi (2,000 JPY?) is less onerous on paper, but Hamamatsucho station is a mess right now. I regularly pass through on my own but ...
  • More relaxing would be to take a large taxi all the way from the airport to the hotel. You'll need one of the minivan style taxis. The cost should be around 8,000 JPY I think. (Flat rate). Twice the price of the Monorail option for a family of four and worth it IMO.
Hi,

I took a taxi from the Conrad to Haneda international terminal last Friday at 1045 (Y 9,400 inc Y 600 in tolls ). Took 30min and saved a whole lot of hassle with luggage ( we went via the Rainbow bridge which offered nice views of Tokyo)
When I travelled from the Hilton Yokohama to the Corad I sent my large suitcase by next day luggage delivery ( Y2400) and took my rollerboard and backpack with clothes for one night to save the walk from Shimbashi station ( lifts are available but can be a hike with heavy/large suitcases)
Regards

TBS

PS Getting an early check in might be hard at the Conrad but will be able to drop off bags
AlwaysAisle likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I agree with jib71 and The_Banking_Scot. Just take taxi from the airport. Transfer at a station or walking through Shimbashi station with 3 large suitcases and 2 teenagers toward Conrad Tokyo is not worth monetary saving you are getting from taking Keikyu or monorail.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Thank you all for your advice. I'm a cheapskate, but will take the taxi, and likely escape the ire of my wife!
Will all of the taxis automatically give me the flat rate price, or do I need to use a particular service for that?

@the_Banking_Scot: Thanks for thet tip. I'm expecting to drop off my bags and then not check-in until the late afternoon, especially given that the Conrad seems to be sold out while we're there. Am hoping, though, that they might let us grab breakfast in the lounge (I'm HHD) - don't know if you had any luck with that?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Thank you all for your advice. I'm a cheapskate, but will take the taxi, and likely escape the ire of my wife!
Will all of the taxis automatically give me the flat rate price, or do I need to use a particular service for that?

@the_Banking_Scot: Thanks for thet tip. I'm expecting to drop off my bags and then not check-in until the late afternoon, especially given that the Conrad seems to be sold out while we're there. Am hoping, though, that they might let us grab breakfast in the lounge (I'm HHD) - don't know if you had any luck with that?
Hi

Not sure about breakfast as I have not arrived that early.
Last Sunday there was a queue at main check in. I could have waited in the lounge ( still a queue in the lounge ) and it was a beautiful afternoon so left my bags abd walked up chuo dori ( main ginza shopping street which is closed to traffic on Sunday afternoons ) and it was beautiful as the sun set and lights came on before the street reopened at 5pm.
aLso went up to the rooftop garden af ginza six which had a small ice rink
arrived back at the conead at 530pm and no queue to check in

Regards

Tbs
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Flat fares are automatically applied for rides from HND but it may be that fixed rate won't apply for your trip. I looked at Nihon Kotsu and KM Taxi's websites - They have maps that show the fixed fares to various city wards. But for the closest areas, like Minato Ku, where the Conrad is located, meter fare applies. I would not expect it to cost more than the fixed fare to wards that are further away. You can expect traffic to be light at that time in the morning.

Be aware that cab fares are 20% more expensive from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM. If your flight lands super-early and you take a cab just before 5:00AM, the elevated rate will apply until 5:00 and then the normal rate will kick in.

EDIT - Although you're taking a cab, you should buy "Welcome SUICA" or "PASMO Passport" cards for yourself and your family at the airport. (If you forget at the airport, you can buy PASMO passport cards at Shinagawa station near the Conrad https://www.pasmo.co.jp/visitors/en/buy/). The cards will help you to use public transportation as much as possible for travel around Tokyo. Be aware that they expire after 28 days, so you should use up the balance during your stay.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by jib71; Dec 13, 2023 at 1:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.