First time in Tokyo - Asakusa and Ueno

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Tokyo - Asakusa and Ueno

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I've used the Ryokan Shigetsu in Asakusa multiple times and recommend it. Despite the name, the property is half Japanese-style and half western-style rooms. The western rooms are typical of business hotels. Meals are taken in the dining room and must be reserved the day before. I only ever ate breakfasts there but it is quite good if you specify Japanese breakfast. The property is 2 short blocks off Nakamise Dori and a 2-3 minute walk from Senso-ji temple. Staff in yukata, some who speak English, koto music playing in the hallways, a small onsen on the top floor and a nice ambiance. The property is a 5 minute walk from the subway station near the Matsuya department store and less than 10 minutes walk to the water taxi dock for the ride to Hama Rikyu garden.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberto99
OP, will you be flying in/out of NRT or HND?

I ask since there are no-connection train routes for NRT-Ueno and HND-Asakusa
There are also “no-connection” trains that run directly between Narita and Asakusa (Tobu)
If you can get the right train (for instance the “Access Tokkyu” leaving at 16:04) the journey takes 60 minutes and costs 1,290yen. There are usually two of these faster options per hour.
There is also a slightly cheaper alternative that takes 20 minutes longer and costs 190yen less, but I’d recommend the faster train in this case.

Access Express | KEISEI Electric Railway
Attached Images  

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 17, 2019 at 12:07 am Reason: To add link
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
There are also “no-connection” trains that run directly between Narita and Asakusa (Tobu)
Is that relatively new or did I just miss it? I always used the subway to/from Ueno and the Skyliner to/from NRT. Wish I'd known about an easier/cheaper way.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jan 16, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Is that relatively new or did I just miss it? I always used the subway to/from Ueno and the Skyliner to/from NRT. Wish I'd know about an easier/cheaper way.
I know, right?!
Was looking for ways to get to Shirokane Takanawa from Narita Airport and realised that there is a direct (and quick and cheap) route to Sengakuji. It stops at Asakusa on the way.
Got some help understanding it in this thread
Hints for first time visitors to Japan. (Post #134 onwards)
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by stut
I stayed at The Gate hotel in Asakusa, which I thoroughly enjoyed, on my last trip there. Liked the neighbourhood - I'm not interested in glitz and high-end stuff, and it was very well connected. You can get the train direct from NRT to Asakusa Station (the Keisei Limited Express) which delves into the metro. There are lifts to take you to street level. Easy enough if you're Black-Catting your luggage and don't mind the longitudinal seating.
The Gate was top of my list but the best price was through Yokoso and when I tried to book, it failed booking and I couldn't be bothered. Wound up booking the newly opened Gracery Asakusa which seems nice and very close to the train station.

Thanks to all for your replies. Part of my reasoning for staying in this area is due to friends we are traveling with who will be staying with family in Asakusa. As for night life, a late night would 10pm for us getting to from Shinjuku would fine for our night life.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
If you can get the right train (for instance the “Access Tokkyu” leaving at 16:04) the journey takes 60 minutes and costs 1,290yen. There are usually two of these faster options per hour.
There is also a slightly cheaper alternative that takes 20 minutes longer and costs 190yen less, but I’d recommend the faster train in this case.

Access Express KEISEI Electric Railway
There are three rail stations around Asakusa area.

Asakusa station by Tobu Line
Asakusa station by subway Ginza Line
Asakusa station by subway Asakusa Like

The station which has direct train service (no transfer required) to Narita Airport is Asakusa station on subway Asakusa Line. Subway Asakusa Line runs directly into Keisei Line, and there are trains go directly to Narita two or three every hour from subway Asakusa Line Asakusa station.

There is no direct (no transfer required) train service from Asakusa station of Tobu line to Narita. From Tobu Line Asakusa station, likely easiest way is to take Tobu Line to Kita-Senju, transfer to JR line at Kita-Senju and catch a train to Narita, Narita city station. At Narita transfer to a train to Narita Airport.

The link you posted does show the direct service between Narita Airport and Asakusa by direct through service of Keisei Line and subway Asakusa Line.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
There is no direct (no transfer required) train service from Asakusa station of Tobu line to Narita. From Tobu Line Asakusa station, likely easiest way is to take Tobu Line to Kita-Senju, transfer to JR line at Kita-Senju and catch a train to Narita, Narita city station. At Narita transfer to a train to Narita Airport.
Tobu Line station to Asakusa Line station is a couple of blocks, isn't it?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no direct (no transfer required) train service from Asakusa station of Tobu line to Narita.
Seems you were unaware of this route also.

Here, this will help you out.
1 - go to Hyperdia
2 - plug in route Asakusa (Tobu/Subway) to Narita Airport Terminal 1
3 - Choose time, I suggest 2pm (14:00)
4 - check out result for 2:17pm

Roughly twice an hour (the exception being roughly between 8pm and 11pm) there is a direct NO CHANGE service between Narita Airport and Asakusa.

You’re welcome!

Anyway, I see that what you are pointing out (but not very well) is that one should be careful to get on the right platform at Asakusa Station. Despite (Tobu/subway) being the way to identify the correct train on Hyperdia, one would need to find the Asakusa lines within the same Asakusa Station. Asakusa line platform 1 for trains to Haneda, Asakusa line platform 2 towards Narita Airport.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 17, 2019 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Seems you were unaware of this route also.

Here, this will help you out.

2 - plug in route Asakusa (Tobu/Subway) to Narita Airport Terminal 1

You’re welcome!
Hyperdia is showing Asakusa (Tobu/Subway) as all three stations together. Like showing airport in Tokyo as both Haneda and Narita, showing airport in London as both Heathrow and Gatwick. When the result show on the direct, non-transfer route, Hyperdia is showing the departure from Asakusa station of subway Asakusa line, nor Asakusa station of Tobu line.

I can assure you that you can go to Asakusa sation of Tobu Isezaki Line and you can stay there all day long and will not be a single train to Narita.

I know I am right and you still do not realize you are wrong. Even though three stations at Asakusa are near each other, those are three separate stations. Don't make assumptions from Hyperdia too much. Don't trust Internet too much. Check the fact by physically be at Asakusa.

I am sure your line of "You're welcome!" implies that snarky attitude of I am better than you reference.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:19 am

Anyway, I see that what you are pointing out (but not very well) is that one should be careful to get on the right platform at Asakusa Station. Despite (Tobu/subway) being the way to identify the correct train on Hyperdia, one would need to find the Asakusa lines within the same Asakusa Station. Asakusa line platform 1 for trains to Haneda, Asakusa line platform 2 towards Narita Airport.
Tobu Line Asakusa station and subway Asakusa Line Asakusa stations are two separate stations. It is not matter of difference between one platform and anther platform across.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Tobu Line Asakusa station and subway Asakusa Line Asakusa stations are two separate stations. It is not matter of difference between one platform and anther platform across.
However... IIRC, The Asakusa Line and Ginza Line stations are connected underground, meaning that you can use the lift from street level to the Ginza Line station and avoid the long staircarse into the Asakusa Line station, should you be carrying luggage with you (a terribly gauche thing to do, I realise )

(I was quite jetlagged at the time, so could be wrong...)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure your line of "You're welcome!" implies that snarky attitude of I am better than you reference.
And you’d be wrong.

It was a cheery but, yes slightly sarcastic way (I am British!) to point out how somebody less familiar with the Tokyo rail and metro system than you are actually experiences it. I pointed it out so that you can see that your information, despite being correct, was unhelpful and confusing.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by stut
However... IIRC, The Asakusa Line and Ginza Line stations are connected underground, meaning that you can use the lift from street level to the Ginza Line station and avoid the long staircarse into the Asakusa Line station, should you be carrying luggage with you (a terribly gauche thing to do, I realise )

(I was quite jetlagged at the time, so could be wrong...)
Here's a diagram of what the station looks like on the inside:
https://www.tokyometro.jp/station/as...map/index.html

Asakusa Line platforms are on the left, Ginza Line platforms on the right. The Tobu station is off to the right, where you see the arrow going out exit 7. You'll see that you can't get from the Tobu station to the Asakusa Line platforms unless you walk through Ginza Line platform 1, and even then you'd have to go down two flights of stairs (with lifts in case you're in a wheelchair).

There is a pair of elevators connecting the Asakusa Line platforms to street level, but you'd have to walk a few blocks from the Tobu station to exit A2b.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by joejones
Here's a diagram of what the station looks like on the inside:
https://www.tokyometro.jp/station/as...map/index.html

Asakusa Line platforms are on the left, Ginza Line platforms on the right. The Tobu station is off to the right, where you see the arrow going out exit 7. You'll see that you can't get from the Tobu station to the Asakusa Line platforms unless you walk through Ginza Line platform 1, and even then you'd have to go down two flights of stairs (with lifts in case you're in a wheelchair).

There is a pair of elevators connecting the Asakusa Line platforms to street level, but you'd have to walk a few blocks from the Tobu station to exit A2b.
Fantastic! Could have done with that when I was visiting (a few years ago now).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
There is a one-transfer route: take the Tobu local train one stop to Tokyo Skytree, walk from there to Oshiage, then take the Keisei express from there. Assuming you don't mind a long stroll through the Skytree shopping mall, it's probably faster than taking the Joban Line route above, but it would still be faster to just walk to Toei Asakusa and start the journey from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.