Wiki Posts
Search

24 hours in Tokyo [staying at Park Hyatt Tokyo]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
24 hours in Tokyo [staying at Park Hyatt Tokyo]

I arrive next Sunday afternoon around 1500 at PH Tokyo from Kyoto and have a flight next day out of Narita at 1900.

Assuming I have to leave hotel by 1500 to take NEX to Narita, I’d like to do following (1st time visit)

Sunday: NY NY at PH, Golden Gai, Shibuya Crossing

Monday: Meiji Shrine and Sensoji Temple

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of using NEX, check the schedule for the Friendly Airport Limobus service which is door to door. It's so much easier than taking a train/subway/taxi combination.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
How much luggage will you have and is this your first visit to Japan or just Tokyo?

If you're set on hitting Meiji Jingu and Sensoji & you have a single smaller bag or HBO, I would walk to/from Meiji Jingu in the morning, retrieve my bags from the PH and go to Asakusa Station via Oedo/Ginza Lines or Oedo/Asakusa Lines , store bag/HBO at a station locker while at Sensoji, then return and take Ginza line to Ueno Station and Skyliner from there to NRT.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Building on the post above, I'd ride the Yamanote Line to Ueno and park any luggage there. The subway is faster, but on a short trip to Tokyo you might as well enjoy the above-ground view from the train. Then you can wander around Ueno Park / Ameyoko, or head over to Asakusa (about a 6 minute ride on the subway). I'd plan to take the 5 pm Skyliner from Keisei Ueno, which would get you to NRT a little over an hour before your flight, plenty of time by NRT standards.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can bike between the PH and Meiji Jingu, the PH loans out bikes (and helmets) for free. It is probably the fastest way to get there.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Instead of using NEX, check the schedule for the Friendly Airport Limobus service which is door to door. It's so much easier than taking a train/subway/taxi combination.
Im piggybacking on this thread since Ill be going for 48 hours and also staying at PH Tokyo.

Understand the Airport Limobus is door to door, however what is traffic going to be like on the Limobus coming from Narita vs next taking the NEX? What is the overall time comparison between the 2? I do understand would have to take a taxi from Shinjuku station to get to the PH if I took the NEX...

I would be doing either leaving from Narita on a Friday morning at :730am

Thanks in advance....
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by elg26
Im piggybacking on this thread since Ill be going for 48 hours and also staying at PH Tokyo.

Understand the Airport Limobus is door to door, however what is traffic going to be like on the Limobus coming from Narita vs next taking the NEX? What is the overall time comparison between the 2? I do understand would have to take a taxi from Shinjuku station to get to the PH if I took the NEX...

I would be doing either leaving from Narita on a Friday morning at :730am

Thanks in advance....
Limousine Bus has been in service since Narita Airport has opened in 1978 and it has proven record. They know Tokyo traffic better than any of us, that is their everyday job, and schedule has traffic in consideration and often buses arrive ahead of schedule. Myself using Limousine Bus for few decades have not had an experience where bus was delayed 20 min. or more. Limousine Bus keep track of traffic condition and contact bus drivers on road by radio and some time suggests alternate route.

Limousine Bus is great if you have luggage, because it is door to door and there are attendants at both end to load an unload your luggage from a bus. You just get off right in front of an entrance to a hotel, and you simply walk into a hotel with your luggage. NEX is reliable, but if you have luggage then navigating through Shinjuku station is not that convenient. Also, NEX is fast till Tokyo station, but slow getting to Shinjuku from Tokyo. NEX run from Narita Airport to Tokyo station (72 km, 49 miles) in 59 min. But from Tokyo station to Shinjuku station (17 km, 10.5 mile) NEX take 23 minutes. You will not save much time by taking NEX than Limousine Bus.
elg26 and LapLap like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Limousine Bus has been in service since Narita Airport has opened in 1978 and it has proven record. They know Tokyo traffic better than any of us, that is their everyday job, and schedule has traffic in consideration and often buses arrive ahead of schedule. Myself using Limousine Bus for few decades have not had an experience where bus was delayed 20 min. or more. Limousine Bus keep track of traffic condition and contact bus drivers on road by radio and some time suggests alternate route.

Limousine Bus is great if you have luggage, because it is door to door and there are attendants at both end to load an unload your luggage from a bus. You just get off right in front of an entrance to a hotel, and you simply walk into a hotel with your luggage. NEX is reliable, but if you have luggage then navigating through Shinjuku station is not that convenient. Also, NEX is fast till Tokyo station, but slow getting to Shinjuku from Tokyo. NEX run from Narita Airport to Tokyo station (72 km, 49 miles) in 59 min. But from Tokyo station to Shinjuku station (17 km, 10.5 mile) NEX take 23 minutes. You will not save much time by taking NEX than Limousine Bus.
Thanks for explanation...... sounds like the way to go for sure for me......
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Also, NEX is fast till Tokyo station, but slow getting to Shinjuku from Tokyo. NEX run from Narita Airport to Tokyo station (72 km, 49 miles) in 59 min. But from Tokyo station to Shinjuku station (17 km, 10.5 mile) NEX take 23 minutes. You will not save much time by taking NEX than Limousine Bus.
NEX isn't even particularly fast to Tokyo Station -- it's a few minutes faster to take the Yamanote to Nippori and change to Skyliner, even factoring in the transfer time. The cheap buses between NRT and Tokyo Station are almost as fast as the NEX, except during rush hours when they have to pad the schedules by 20 minutes or so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.