Wiki Posts
Search

Private Guide for Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Private Guide for Tokyo

I'll be traveling to Japan for the first time next month. I am interested in finding a local fixer. Not a guide per se. I'm less interested in the names of building and/or when they were built than I am just someone to help me navigate/translate/point me to cool places to drink a beer. Google isn't revealing much in this regard - everyone seems to be more formal tour guides.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:12 pm
gpy

Friends have recommended Yukari Sakamoto.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet
Google isn't revealing much in this regard - everyone seems to be more formal tour guides.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Google would be of fantastic help, you just need to use it properly.

I don’t know any guides in Tokyo, but I do know how to hook up with people I share interests with. Google is an amazing resource for that.

First way to find someone to point you to “cool” is to think about what it is that you find “cool”. Tokyo is a maelstrom of niche shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. Many don’t bother with servicing 90% of potential clients, they just figure out what 5% like (or 2%, or 1%) and cater to that group. Tokyo is so vast, a small subset of people can sustain a small business.
As well as individuals, groups meet up in these places and many of those groups enjoy meeting up with like minded visitors. A decade and a half ago, before the whole blogosphere took off and when translation tools barely existed, I used to talk to people and find information at Record Shops. It’s much easier now.

Alternatively, just comb through the NHK “Tokyo Eye” series on YouTube. It covers lots of interesting neighbourhoods and points out some quirky and beguiling places. But stick to the recent episodes as information about Tokyo can become out of date very quickly (I called Tokyo a maelstrom for a reason!)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
"Cool places" can carry many different meanings. If I were to make a suggestion, I would seek out some of the different yokochos (back alley collections of bars, etc) and just poke your head in. I've done this a bunch (most recently last week) and have never been treated badly. Most nights I would end up the only english speaking person in the place. Granted, most of these only seat 5-10 people. For me that's a win.

For a more formal cocktail experience, I can heartily recommend Bar Gen Yamamoto. It's a tasting menu experience of 4-6 cocktails that's outstanding. Reservations required

Yukari is actually a friend of mine. She tends to focus more on small group tours but could likely offer some other suggestions. If you would like her contact info it's on her website, http://foodsaketokyo.com

The city is well served by just roaming and being open to what happens!
gpy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.