Wiki Posts
Search

Japanese Baseball Draft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Japanese Baseball Draft

Can someone explain to me the Japanese Baseball Draft?

There seems to be no merit for having a losing season and it seems that the strongest teams has an equal chance of getting the best players in the draft. Seems really unfair.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Round 1:
All teams provide a name of one player. If only one team names the player, then the team gets it. If more than one team name the player, then a team will be chosen by lottery. Teams lost on the lottery can name another player. The system is repeated till all teams get one player.

Round 2:
Player is chosen one team at a time. The team ranked bottom of the ranking get to choose first, then go up the list. Each team gets one player.

This year's order is Rakuten-Hanshin-Lotte-Chunichi-Orix-Yokohama-Nippon Ham-Giants-SoftBanks-Yakult-Seibu-Hiroshima.

Round 3:
Player is chosen one team at a time. The team ranked at the top choose first and go down the list. Each team gets one player. Reverse order of Round 2.

Round 4:
Round 2 and Round 3 are repeated till all players in the draft were chosen, or 120 players were chosen.

If there are more than 120 players in the draft, then there will be players who will not be chosen.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:00 am

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but this is better than what we have in the USA.
The tankathon in the NBA is ridiculous, and unfortunately I too find myself joining the madness. Every year I'm rooting for my team to lose in the second half of the season.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:50 am
Original Poster

So there is no inherit positive to a bad year..

You still need to rely on lady luck and it means that sometimes, the best teams (Hiroshima) can get the player they want in the first round.

While tankathon IS ridiculous, having loyal fans endure a bad season to get kicked in the head again by the draft seems unfair.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Carp VS Hawks, first game in the series ends in a twelve inning TIE!!!!!

Now what? Winner is first team to win 4 games, does that mean that there is a potential of playing 8 games????
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Beats having to go eighteen innings
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Beats having to go eighteen innings
Yea, but Red Sox won the World Series! Good to be at Boston, go Bean Town! Oh, this Japan forum, isn't it? 😛
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

Now what? Winner is first team to win 4 games, does that mean that there is a potential of playing 8 games????
yep.

From wikipedia:
With changes introduced as of 2018, the current rules stipulate that the first seven games originally scheduled are called if tied after 12 innings, and if extra games are necessary, the games are played until a victor is decided (unlimited innings), with no curfew limitations.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Not sure about that.

18 innings was just plain awesome!!! It was exciting and there was an actual victor after that exhaustive effort by all.
angra likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:39 pm

I guess Softbank announced all the players they're waiving the day after they won the championship.
You'd think they could at least wait a few days.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
The 1997 Marlins say hello.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Round 1:
All teams provide a name of one player. If only one team names the player, then the team gets it. If more than one team name the player, then a team will be chosen by lottery. Teams lost on the lottery can name another player. The system is repeated till all teams get one player.

Round 2:
Player is chosen one team at a time. The team ranked bottom of the ranking get to choose first, then go up the list. Each team gets one player.

This year's order is Rakuten-Hanshin-Lotte-Chunichi-Orix-Yokohama-Nippon Ham-Giants-SoftBanks-Yakult-Seibu-Hiroshima.

Round 3:
Player is chosen one team at a time. The team ranked at the top choose first and go down the list. Each team gets one player. Reverse order of Round 2.

Round 4:
Round 2 and Round 3 are repeated till all players in the draft were chosen, or 120 players were chosen.

If there are more than 120 players in the draft, then there will be players who will not be chosen.
Thanks for the information, i had the same question a few weeks back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.