Suica card - is it possible to top up using phone or credit card at machines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suica card - is it possible to top up using phone or credit card at machines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
what about android pay? Any experience with using this for suica ?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30162123-post6.html
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Thanks - I'm not sure this is the same as samsung pay (they are talking about google pay - not sure what this is) Well I have a few months before my next trip
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:16 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Thanks - I meant to say Samsung pay (which AFAIK is the same as google pay but with magnetic strip technology) - I suppose this is a no go
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Won't work unless you have japanese carrier locked phone. - quote from the blog post - "if you live in Japan and have an Osaifu-Keitai eligible phone".
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:27 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks - I meant to say Samsung pay (which AFAIK is the same as google pay but with magnetic strip technology) - I suppose this is a no go
Samsung Pay and its MST is apparently more widely available as not enough banks have signed up to support Android Pay.

To this end, most any device that allows the swiping of the magnetic strip should work for Samsung Pay.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
To this end, most any device that allows the swiping of the magnetic strip should work for Samsung Pay.
Even in Singapore I had serious problems using Samsung Pay with MST (when TR promo was going on) - about half of places simply refused even to try it.

Now move to Japanese reality, when not speaking language and other side is not even know what the technology is about... I would not even go there.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Even in Singapore I had serious problems using Samsung Pay with MST (when TR promo was going on) - about half of places simply refused even to try it.

Now move to Japanese reality, when not speaking language and other side is not even know what the technology is about... I would not even go there.
Actually I used Samsung pay at a few places in Japan to some VERY surprised faces on the vendor I just politely asked to try and if it didn't work I'd give them a card.
Of interest in one hotel one of the terminals worked but the other one didn't (a Courtyard) so there's something weird going on (had a similar experience also last year in Thailand)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
If you have an iPhone you can simply change your region to japan and add an IC card.

I agree cash cash is not convenient specially when I want to use credit card only and don’t want to withdraw cash from a credit card.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:33 pm

Do they charge extra if reloading the Suica card with a credit card thru an apple device?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ahhlun
Do they charge extra if reloading the Suica card with a credit card thru an apple device?
JR East does not charge extra fees for recharging/reloading SUICA through Apple Pay, but your card issuer might charge you currency conversion fees unless the card has the no foreign transaction fees benefit, so choose which card to load the funaccordingly.

Edit: Since I plan to visit Japan soon I just did a recharge of 3,000 yen to SUICA through Apple Pay with my credit card and I got charged exactly 3,000 yen (converted to $27.88 USD @ exchange rate of 107.6040, compare to what Google said would be $27.85 USD) and no other cost.
Mizunara likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.