Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Bodywork Massage Therapists - Recommended Chain & demystify styles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Any recommendations for a massage therapy chain for some shoulder, upper back, and lower back work? I'm looking for a table massage 60-90 min to help get some knots out in Nagoya after a long trip over via UA154 Island Hopper. I'm aware there are massage chains like Global Sport/Temomin, Raffine, and Queensway which often have shops in shopping or transit areas. I know business hotels often have cards for a therapist to come in-room but I'm not comfortable with inviting an unknown person into my room and am not looking for "adult health services".

I've seen the general advice to look on HotPepper but have a few questions:
  1. What's the general therapist quality at such chains?
  2. Any specific massage style I should be looking for? I have some pretty firm back muscles and muscle knots. I've seen lymph, aroma, shiatsu, and Thai? Shiatsu and Thai seem to be clothing on while lymph & aroma are draped (for which I'd prefer a private room)?
  3. General vocabulary? How do I say the pressure is too much or too little?
  4. How far should I book in advance if it is needed?
  5. Sketch Factor and other things to be aware of? I figure I should ask after the Massage Envy news and I usually only use independent recommended places at home or upper end chain spas on cruises.
Independent places are fine, too, but a little harder to figure out their menus. I'll be visiting some onsens later in the trip for relaxation.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:03 am

I've only ever gone to raffine spots (other than reflexology at an onsen once) and I found it very comfortable and an absolute life saver after wrecking my legs walking. Raffine they have you change into a grey top and bottom although I prefer my own leggings and they are fine with that. Raffine is a very no fuss kind of place (I always try to go at nrt or hnd before getting on a long haul) if you get any table work there are primary curtains but reflexology is just in chairs. As far as vocab if you're not conversational fluent I think you can still get by, the raffine ladies definitely check in consistently with the pressure level.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to clarify, in case anybody is looking at this thread with a similar question.
There is a “Grand Raffine” within NGO - Nagoya Chubu Airport.

Massage and Spa - Shop and Dine | Chubu Centrair International Airport, Nagoya

Advantage of a visit here is the opportunity to also use the bath and sauna facility nearby.

Haven’t been to any of the Raffine branches, but have used the NGO baths. There are also quite a few mechanical massage armchairs that accept Japanese coins (100yen) airside around the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.