Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Northern Kyushu/ Fukuoka Kitakyushu

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Where to stay in Northern Kyushu/ Fukuoka Kitakyushu

I will be arriving to FUK at 10am and leaving next day at 12PM.
Have dinner reservation at Kitakyushu (tobata) which is about an hour away.
Is there anything to see around here?
I am not sure whether to stay in this northern area or is it better to stay near fukuoka/hakata area?
This is my first time in Fukuoka/kyushu. Maybe a little sightseeing and mostly interested in trying different foods.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VoiD
I will be arriving to FUK at 10am and leaving next day at 12PM.
I am not sure whether to stay in this northern area or is it better to stay near fukuoka/hakata area?
This is my first time in Fukuoka/kyushu. Maybe a little sightseeing and mostly interested in trying different foods.
i just did what you did last week in a tighter timeframe. but unless your dinner last past 2300, I would recommend staying at fukuoka and take a train over (you have a choice between a 1200 yen local train, 1800 yen non reserved limited express train, or a 2400 yen shinkansen w a local train transfer at kokura).
you get better western style hotels at fukuoka (Hilton and a GH off my head)... or if you dont mind japanese business hotels, there is a toyoko inn 5 minute walk from kokura station where the shinkansen stops or a few others v close to the station. Theres probably a few places you can go for the few hours you're in fukuoka...
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Dinner is at 7pm so should be heading back by 9:30pm. Shinkansen sounds like something I would like to try.

Originally Posted by kaka
i just did what you did last week in a tighter timeframe. but unless your dinner last past 2300, I would recommend staying at fukuoka and take a train over (you have a choice between a 1200 yen local train, 1800 yen non reserved limited express train, or a 2400 yen shinkansen w a local train transfer at kokura).
you get better western style hotels at fukuoka (Hilton and a GH off my head)... or if you dont mind japanese business hotels, there is a toyoko inn 5 minute walk from kokura station where the shinkansen stops or a few others v close to the station. Theres probably a few places you can go for the few hours you're in fukuoka...
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Free agent!
I've always wanted to visit Kitakyushu solely for the Toto Museum (as in the toilet manufacturer).
VoiD and kaka like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

OMG that looks awesome. I'll make sure to add to my list! Thank you!!

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I've always wanted to visit Kitakyushu solely for the Toto Museum (as in the toilet manufacturer).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Tons of hotels within 10 minutes walk of Hakata Station. Toyoko Inn would be the last resort even for that budget category, if you book ahead. Quite a few business hotels around Kokura station as well.

But if it's a Fri/Sat night, Fukuoka can be totally booked out, only then would I stay in Kokura.

>> mostly interested in trying different foods.

The Hakata Station complex have over 100 restaurants and cafes, from very upscale (top floors of the station complex) to very local (basement), such as stand-up izakaya.

Restaurant & cafe | JR HAKATA CITY / AMU PLAZA HAKATA official site
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the valuable link! I will be staying Monday-Tuesday in early Sept, so I'm pretty much set to stay near Hakata station and take the shinkansen to get dinner.

Originally Posted by beep88
Tons of hotels within 10 minutes walk of Hakata Station. Toyoko Inn would be the last resort even for that budget category, if you book ahead. Quite a few business hotels around Kokura station as well.

But if it's a Fri/Sat night, Fukuoka can be totally booked out, only then would I stay in Kokura.

>> mostly interested in trying different foods.

The Hakata Station complex have over 100 restaurants and cafes, from very upscale (top floors of the station complex) to very local (basement), such as stand-up izakaya.

Restaurant & cafe JR HAKATA CITY / AMU PLAZA HAKATA official site
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Thank you for the valuable link! I will be staying Monday-Tuesday in early Sept, so I'm pretty much set to stay near Hakata station and take the shinkansen to get dinner.
I'd just let you know you have a change at kokura w SKS and a direct train with limited express.

add: it's probably a good idea if you want to try - otherwise limited express might be a but more convinient. actually if i were you i would just take whatever come up first... that would probably mean local train to kokura then SKS. I forgot about them last week but if you can handle a ticket shop you would get some small discount. or if you have time to go to a reservation desk, you can pay by credit card.
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: NH
In Tobata you have a nice art museum, you can get the map at the station.
If you come to Kokura (8 min normal train), there is a castle that is pretty nice, but only open until 17.30 if i recall correctly.

But i would honestly go to Fukuoka and enjoy there, there is soo much more to do. (Shinkansen is only 16min)
Tomorrow morning you can try to have the early visit to Dazaifu (Old small regional capital with temples,..)

Sleeping is generally cheaper in Kokura.
One of the cheaper business hotels in front of the station (shinkansen exit) are Yutaka hotel and Yanagi hotel.
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: NH
BTW i live in the neighbourhood. PM me if you're interested for a drink at night
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Have been a few times to Kitakyushu for work. Stayed at the RIHGA Royal Hotel Kokura right next to the station.

Nothing special as such, but obviously the location is convenient. Can't remember anything overly positive or negative.

Haven't had too much free time in Kitakyushu but managed to ride on the monorail once. The Toto Museum does sound intriguing!
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Never rode on shinkansen so this would be a good opportunity.
If I were to take tokaido-sanyo shinkansen and transfer to JR kagoshima line to tobata, is it a free transfer or a separate ticket?

Originally Posted by kaka
I'd just let you know you have a change at kokura w SKS and a direct train with limited express.

add: it's probably a good idea if you want to try - otherwise limited express might be a but more convinient. actually if i were you i would just take whatever come up first... that would probably mean local train to kokura then SKS. I forgot about them last week but if you can handle a ticket shop you would get some small discount. or if you have time to go to a reservation desk, you can pay by credit card.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

awesome. Thank you for the suggestions!.

Originally Posted by CSCem
In Tobata you have a nice art museum, you can get the map at the station.
If you come to Kokura (8 min normal train), there is a castle that is pretty nice, but only open until 17.30 if i recall correctly.

But i would honestly go to Fukuoka and enjoy there, there is soo much more to do. (Shinkansen is only 16min)
Tomorrow morning you can try to have the early visit to Dazaifu (Old small regional capital with temples,..)

Sleeping is generally cheaper in Kokura.
One of the cheaper business hotels in front of the station (shinkansen exit) are Yutaka hotel and Yanagi hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
If I had to recommend a hotel in Fukuoka it would have to be "WITH THE STYLE FUKUOKA", and yes, that's actually the name. It's pretty popular so you it might be unavailable depending on your dates. I wouldn't recommend the Grand Hyatt because it's in a pretty dead area, and if you're going in the summer time, it's about a 15 minute walk from the station (not deal breaking, but annoying). Obviously if you're collecting points, then it's not the place for you, but you might as well stay somewhere a little unique.
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Never rode on shinkansen so this would be a good opportunity.
If I were to take tokaido-sanyo shinkansen and transfer to JR kagoshima line to tobata, is it a free transfer or a separate ticket?
HyperDia | ???? ???? ??? ???? ??? ??????? train schedule and fare calculator. You buy the ticket at a staffed counter and you don't need a separate ticket. Tt is 230 yen between Kokura and Tabata.
VoiD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.