Wiki Posts
Search

Japan newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
Japan newbie questions

Very excited to leave on Friday for my first trip to Japan. A life long dream and after traveling and working in 67 countries it’s about time I am going. I have a few newbie questions:
1. I am arriving at NRT early afternoon. As a star alliance gold member are their any arrival facilities available to me (iE Shower).
2. I am staying near the Kita-Senzoku station. Am looking for suggestions of where I can go for my first few hours in Tokyo. Some where between NTR and Kita-Senzoku. I will be traveling light and can either ditch the carryon in a locker or take with me.
3.Will i able to use my Citibank ATM card at ATM’s
4. Does anyone know where I can buy dried scallops?

Many Thanks!

Last edited by no more lurking; Jul 16, 2018 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:20 pm

4. Dried scallop snacks? I've seen them at Niki No Kashi in Ueno https://goo.gl/maps/Zbv7QPLvqC92 There are two Niki No Kashi's right next to each other so if you don't see it one shop, try the other.
no more lurking likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:57 pm

I flew business class on ANA to NRT last month and was researching arrival lounges. They apparently have one for ANA pax that I was going to check out but didn't get around to because I was running a bit late. It seems like star alliance gold can access it based on the logo list at the bottom.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by no more lurking
Very excited to leave on Friday for my first trip to Japan. A life long dream and after traveling and working in 67 countries it’s about time I am going. I have a few newbie questions:

2. I am staying near the Kita-Senzoku station. Am looking for suggestions of where I can go for my first few hours in Tokyo. Some where between NTR and Kita-Senzoku. I will be traveling light and can either ditch the carryon in a locker or take with me.
3.Will i able to use my Citibank ATM card at ATM’s

Many Thanks!
2. Since Kita-Senzoku is in Ota-ku, on the southern edge of Tokyo, pretty much everything in Tokyo is between NRT and your lodgings. If you haven't bought a guidebook and map yet, I suggest doing so, since there is a lot to see in Tokyo.

By the way, why Kita-Senzoku, unless you're staying with friends or using an AirBnB? (I don't see any hotels in the area on Google maps.) It's not really convenient to anything. In fact, it would be a hassle to get to central Tokyo from there (or go there from Narita), since you would have to ride quite a way on a suburban commuter line and then change trains at one of two places. If it's not too late to cancel, I suggest doing so, especially if you can get a last-minute deal on something closer to the center of the city on Booking.com or Agoda.com. Forget AirBnB. You can get a clean, safe, basic single room in a business hotel for less than US$100 per night.

3. You will be able to use your Citibank ATM card at Citibank ATMs, which are not particularly common in Tokyo (compared to, say, Seoul). Most other Japanese ATMs reject foreign cards, the main exceptions being the ATMs in post offices (recognizable by a symbol that looks like a capital T with a line over it) or 7-11 stores.
abmj-jr and no more lurking like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jay71
I flew business class on ANA to NRT last month and was researching arrival lounges. They apparently have one for ANA pax that I was going to check out but didn't get around to because I was running a bit late. It seems like star alliance gold can access it based on the logo list at the bottom.
The NH Arrivals Lounge is for NH premium and/or elite (FFP) passengers ... no access for *G or other carriers.
If the OP wants a shower, one can find details of paid lounges landside - after arrivals - on the NRT website.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jul 17, 2018 at 12:36 pm Reason: added NRT paid lounge details
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
AirBnB. 5 nights 15,000 Yen. Stellar reviews.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:54 am

Type "Citibank ATM" into Google Maps showing the Tokyo page and it will highlight the available ATMs. Staying last in the Roppongi area I used their facility in Roppongi Hills West complex. It is a very easy ATM to use, available 24/7 and very secure.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
We just returned from Tokyo and were able to use our Citibank ATM card without issue. Pretty much any 7-11 store is fine and they are literally everywhere.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by ksandness
You will be able to use your Citibank ATM card at Citibank ATMs, which are not particularly common in Tokyo (compared to, say, Seoul). Most other Japanese ATMs reject foreign cards, the main exceptions being the ATMs in post offices (recognizable by a symbol that looks like a capital T with a line over it) or 7-11 stores.
This advice is a little dated.

(1) Citibank ATMs are now Prestia ATMs since Citibank withdrew from Japan a couple of years ago. I believe they still work for foreign cards, though.

(2) Most convenience store ATMs (7-11 etc.) now work for foreign cards that have a Visa/PLUS or Master/Cirrus logo. I believe some of the "megabank" ATMs like SMBC and Mizuho will also accept foreign cards now, but less reliably.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by joejones
Most convenience store ATMs (7-11 etc.) now work for foreign cards that have a Visa/PLUS or Master/Cirrus logo.
Even ATMs in Lawson or Family Mart? I've always stuck with the 7-11/Japan Post Bank rule to the point that I scout out 7-11 and Japan Post locations prior to travelling to Japan.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Even ATMs in Lawson or Family Mart?
Yes and yes.

https://oversea.lawson-atm.com/ja/index.html
Welcome to Japan | FamilyMart
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
7-Bank ATMs work great for US ATM cards.
no more lurking and roberto99 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by no more lurking
4. Does anyone know where I can buy dried scallops?
Individually packaged, ready to eat snack: convenience stores, souvenir food stores (like at major Shinakansen stations, airport)

Chinese cooking purpose (large size, bulk): Ueno Ameyoko street market, Tsukiji outer market. Best quality/prices by far, are at markets in Hakodate and Sapporo.

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Even ATMs in Lawson or Family Mart? I've always stuck with the 7-11/Japan Post Bank rule to the point that I scout out 7-11 and Japan Post locations prior to travelling to Japan.
Family Mart = Japan Post Bank ATM, in selected areas.

Last edited by beep88; Jul 19, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You can use ATMs in airports, major train stations, 7-11s and Japan Post post offices, or standalone "7 bank" and "JP" ATMs you may find here and there. In my experience, most other ATMs, including in Lawson Station and Family Mart convenience stores, won't take foreign cards.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For number 4, as well as the suggestions given, you might like to try one of the Hokkaido prefecture “antenna” stores. Places that are run by the prefecture itself in order to promote goods to the inhabitants of Tokyo as well as tourism to the area.

There’s a useful (but not exhaustive) list of the prefectural antenna shops here
https://www.city-cost.com/blogs/City...shopping_tokyo
Hokkaido Dosanko Plaza is first on that list. Also, Yurakucho is a convenient location.

Not on the list is the Hokkaido Foodist. It’s in Yaesu
Hokkaido Foodist: Yaesu- bento.com listing

Best scallops (dried and fresh) I ever had was from a Pop-Up Hokkaido Prefectural Antenna that had been set up in an Isetan Department Store... in Bangkok (March 2011).

Can’t determine much about you from your posts, but I would guess from the little I’ve seen that the prefectural antenna shops would be of interest to you, not just the Hokkaido ones.
Recommend that you cross reference those from the list I linked to to see if any of the locations coincide with places you are already planning on visiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.