Reload this Page >

NRT ATM's now charging fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT ATM's now charging fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LapLap

hmmm, unless Sundays are excluded, I certainly made my withdrawal between 7am and 7pm when I was advised about the 108yen fee.

My previous withdrawal was also a Sunday (no fee) this was done at dusk (so just before 7pm)

7 Bank website is clear about fees for Japan issued cards, but vague about fees for non-Japan issued cards. It simply states that for non-Japan issued cards fees can vary depending on card issuing company. Is that means anything goes if you have non-Japan issued cards?
LapLap and LCUF like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
7 Bank website is clear about fees for Japan issued cards, but vague about fees for non-Japan issued cards. It simply states that for non-Japan issued cards fees can vary depending on card issuing company. Is that means anything goes if you have non-Japan issued cards?
https://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/ has no mention of fees for international cards other than the time windows they can be used, so I guess yeah. Maybe time to collect data points? Time of withdraw, how much, which ATM, which foreign card, etc. Too much information?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:20 pm

I'm hoping that Capital one 360 debit cards still work fee-free on 7 bank ATMs! Any reports?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

That’s odd; I’ve been using 7 Bank ATMs for the past two weeks and have not incurred any fees. Nor did Aeon - unless I was fast asleep! Mizuho wanted a fee, so I walked away and used 7 Bank instead.
I didn't have much time to search for an ATM when I first arrived to Osaka, it was almost midnight and the final trains were departing so I went to the first ATM I could find. I was a little shocked to get the 216 yen fee when I chose the 7 Bank ATM, I was only withdrawing 10K yen and it was after 7 AM, as I was heading to the airport and the Airport bus only took cash for payment. I should have checked the other two ATMs there but it all ended up fine. Both withdrawals showed up on my statement with the fee included, and a separate charge from my bank for the conversion percentage fee.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
Richard, which brand of ATM was it that charged you the fee?
I don't remember but I tried two of the four non-7-11 ATMs. This was in T-1. I think it was the two middle ones; when I saw the charge on the first one, I canceled the transaction and went one to the left, where I saw it again, so I forged on. Then as I turned to the left to go down the escalator to the RR station, I spotted all the 7-11 ATMs that I hadn't seen before and regretted not having tried one of them.

My bank allegedly reimburses me for these fees so the next question is whether that will happen.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by franniemeow07
I'm hoping that Capital one 360 debit cards still work fee-free on 7 bank ATMs! Any reports?
I used my Capital One 360 Debit card for two weeks in late March/early April at 7 banks. Not once was I notified of any fees for using the ATM for withdrawing cash.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:50 pm

Thank you!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't remember but I tried two of the four non-7-11 ATMs. This was in T-1. I think it was the two middle ones; when I saw the charge on the first one, I canceled the transaction and went one to the left, where I saw it again, so I forged on. Then as I turned to the left to go down the escalator to the RR station, I spotted all the 7-11 ATMs that I hadn't seen before and regretted not having tried one of them.

My bank allegedly reimburses me for these fees so the next question is whether that will happen.
Not NRT, but I was charged a fee at a Family Mart in Yokohama. My bank, Citi, removed it from the transaction.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:52 pm

Not NRT
Old May 8, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I was charged ¥108 during business hours at 7-Bank nationwide on my Schwab Visa, ¥216 outside of business hours, and zero on my Cap 1 360 MasterCard debit card. I think the biggest difference is that Visa cards get charged and MasterCards don't. Of course, Schwab reimbursed everything on April 30th, so it didn't matter to me...
Old May 8, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by vegascraig
I was charged ¥108 during business hours at 7-Bank nationwide on my Schwab Visa, ¥216 outside of business hours, and zero on my Cap 1 360 MasterCard debit card. I think the biggest difference is that Visa cards get charged and MasterCards don't. Of course, Schwab reimbursed everything on April 30th, so it didn't matter to me...
Very interesting observation! So quite possibly it was because my bank card is a MasterCard that I wasn't charged at 7-Bank and some others.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Japan is the only country I've ever been to where machines are paid overtime!

Seriously, in a country which handles most every consumer interaction with remarkable customer orientation, the awful performance and ridiculously high fees charged by Japanese banks really stands out. If you ever need a Japanese bank for anything, be prepared that whatever you need will be charged up to ten times as much as in other countries. And never, ever, let a Japanese bank do any sort of foreign exchange if you can avoid it, their rates are horrid.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Japan is the only country I've ever been to where machines are paid overtime!

Seriously, in a country which handles most every consumer interaction with remarkable customer orientation, the awful performance and ridiculously high fees charged by Japanese banks really stands out. If you ever need a Japanese bank for anything, be prepared that whatever you need will be charged up to ten times as much as in other countries. And never, ever, let a Japanese bank do any sort of foreign exchange if you can avoid it, their rates are horrid.
I disagree that Japan handles most every consumer interaction with remarkable customer orientation. Just paying bills, or buying tickets to an event can be very cumbersome. They also seem to be one of the last places on the planet relying on fax machines.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Yes I can agree with other peoples observations.

7/11 - Charge for Visa but no charge for Mastercard
Post Office - Charge is displayed ad you are asked to agree to it at point of withdrawal - 216 yen

However in both instances these fees may not apply if your bank is foreign country friendly - my bank does not levy the fees on me as I am withdrawing in yen for a yen denominated account.

The Japanese banking sector whilst very customer orientated is VERY VERY backward - they still use pass books for a lot of transactions. They are only just NOW bringing in Smartphone / no passbook accounts within the past 2 years.

If you want branch service it can be very expensive for some things - they can charge you to do a bank transfer but you don't get charged if you do it at an ATM and so on. Setting up auto direct debits can take like 5 - 6 weeks before they become active - it's like 2 - 3 days at max in the UK. Foreign currency transfers can also be "difficult" at the best of times. Depending on circumstance you can fill in forms just to withdraw / pay in money!.

As far as tickets goes they are actually pretty hi tec - I don't know another country where you can go in to a local convenience store and walk out with anything from flight tickets to concert tickets.

I think it comes down to Japan's cash based society - although contactless is starting to gain ground cash for the older generation is still very much king. My wife thinks nothing of carrying over 100,000 yen in her purse on a regular basis - you'd struggle to see me have more than 20,000!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by mrploddy
The Japanese banking sector whilst very customer orientated is VERY VERY backward - they still use pass books for a lot of transactions. They are only just NOW bringing in Smartphone / no passbook accounts within the past 2 years.

If you want branch service it can be very expensive for some things - they can charge you to do a bank transfer but you don't get charged if you do it at an ATM and so on. Setting up auto direct debits can take like 5 - 6 weeks before they become active - it's like 2 - 3 days at max in the UK. Foreign currency transfers can also be "difficult" at the best of times. Depending on circumstance you can fill in forms just to withdraw / pay in money!.
All of these things are evidence that Japanese banks are not very customer oriented (at least for retail and SME customers). When companies put customers at the centre of their decision-making, they simplify processes from the customers' point of view, they reduce the effort that customers have to put in to do business with them, they support channels that customers want to use, and they take the trouble to explore real needs of their customers and innovate products and services to meet those needs in new ways.

Originally Posted by mrploddy
I think it comes down to Japan's cash based society
I think it comes down to banks that think that they can continue to do business in the way that is convenient for them, as long as they take care of large commercial customers and bureaucrats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.