Wiki Posts
Search

NRT ATM's now charging fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NRT ATM's now charging fees

For decades, no ATM in Japan has charged a fee. On my recent trip, I noticed that the ATMs at NRT terminal 1 were charging a Y216 fee. I didn't try the 7 bank ones, but it seems like this is a new practice and, I assume, not just at the airport.

Anyone else experience this recently?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For decades, no ATM in Japan has charged a fee. On my recent trip, I noticed that the ATMs at NRT terminal 1 were charging a Y216 fee. I didn't try the 7 bank ones, but it seems like this is a new practice and, I assume, not just at the airport.

Anyone else experience this recently?
I thought I saw a post on here a while back saying that some (eg, Aeon) were charging fees while 7-Eleven still wasn't.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
7Bank is my favorite ATM (holding US ATM card) - they just always work.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:06 pm

Yes. I first thought the fee was for using a non-7 ATM (It was a Mitsu ATM) and the charge was 216 yen too. I later had to withdraw more money and decided to use a 7 Bank ATM in a train station and was charged the same 216 yen fee, even though I withdrew less money using this ATM. This was done two weeks ago, so the fees may be new.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:43 pm

If you withdraw from non 7-Eleven or Japan Post ATMs, you will probably incur fees. AFAIK, bank ATMs charge fees even for their own customers outside normal banking hours and there are different fees for times (e.g. 108 yens for after business hours then 216 yens for after midnight hours).

For example, Mizuho Bank https://www.mizuhobank.co.jp/rate_fee/fee_atm_cd.html
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:25 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This fee was charged when I arrived at NRT at around 3pm on a weekday.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:43 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This fee was charged when I arrived at NRT at around 3pm on a weekday.
Richard, which brand of ATM was it that charged you the fee?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
Yes. I first thought the fee was for using a non-7 ATM (It was a Mitsu ATM) and the charge was 216 yen too. I later had to withdraw more money and decided to use a 7 Bank ATM in a train station and was charged the same 216 yen fee, even though I withdrew less money using this ATM. This was done two weeks ago, so the fees may be new.
That’s odd; I’ve been using 7 Bank ATMs for the past two weeks and have not incurred any fees. Nor did Aeon - unless I was fast asleep! Mizuho wanted a fee, so I walked away and used 7 Bank instead.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:42 pm

I used a 7 bank ATM on March 29 in Kyoto. Just looked at my bank statement. They didn't charge a fee.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Used several 7 bank ATM this week in Osaka and Fukuoka, and both had me accept a Ą108 fee at the ATM itself before I could proceed withdrawing. My home bank is Bank of America.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:54 am

I used 7-eleven last month in Hokkaido, and I don't remember seeing any message about a 108yen fee. What's going on?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just used a 7-11 ATM in central Tokyo and came across my first declaration of this fee. Seems to be 108yen for each 10,000yen withdrawn.
Last took money out about a week ago from another 7-11 ATM (Kichijoji) and didn’t see this message.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Used several 7 bank ATM this week in Osaka and Fukuoka, and both had me accept a Ą108 fee at the ATM itself before I could proceed withdrawing. My home bank is Bank of America.
I remember that too now. It's 108 for the first 10,000, and then another 108 for any amount over that I think. My bank statement doesn't show any separate fee like that, though. It has the $5 Chase charged me, the 3% conversion Chase charged me, then whatever was left of the $500 I asked for. Maybe they bundled it in there and I didn't notice? I got 50,000 yen like I asked for and my bank statement showed $400 something (nearly $500).

In any case, if you're an infrequent tourist, it's FAR better to take US bills with you and to just find a post office or bank to exchange money unless you've got a Charles Schwab debit card or something no fee like that. If you're Chase, Bank of America, etc, just do the ATM as a last resort. I was running out of Yen on the last full day of my trip and happened to walk by what I think is a post office (green decorated building in Ginza on the way to Tsukiji). Just changed $100. Got a FAR better rate than doing the ATM or exchanging beforehand (Bank of America was best changing in the US, while Chase sounded better at ATM in Japan based on what their respective reps told me my fees would be).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Looks like English website of 7 Bank does not have the information, but Japanese website of 7 Bank indicates withdraws made on 7 Bank ATMs between 7 p.m. - 7 a.m. are subject to 108 yen fee per transaction. Withdraws made on 7 Bank ATMs between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. have no fees.

Also, did not know that VISA and Plus cards issued outside of Japan can be used to withdraw 24 hrs. at 7 Bank ATMs, but all other cards there are 20 min. period over midnight where withdraw is not possible on 7 Bank ATMs.

7 Bank ATM fees (Japanese)
LCUF likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Looks like English website of 7 Bank does not have the information, but Japanese website of 7 Bank indicates withdraws made on 7 Bank ATMs between 7 p.m. - 7 a.m. are subject to 108 yen fee per transaction. Withdraws made on 7 Bank ATMs between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. have no fees.

Also, did not know that VISA and Plus cards issued outside of Japan can be used to withdraw 24 hrs. at 7 Bank ATMs, but all other cards there are 20 min. period over midnight where withdraw is not possible on 7 Bank ATMs.

7 Bank ATM fees (Japanese)
hmmm, unless Sundays are excluded, I certainly made my withdrawal between 7am and 7pm when I was advised about the 108yen fee.

My previous withdrawal was also a Sunday (no fee) this was done at dusk (so just before 7pm)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.