Wiki Posts
Search

White Day and Cherry Blossom 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit of a historical note to self (and other late arrivers) here:
currently 13:40 on 21st March in Japan
expected first bloom date for Chidorigafuchi was 19th March, Inokashira Park (Kichijoji) 20th March.
So far the observation has been "tsubomi" - buds, no blossoms.
On the colder side today (might even be a smattering of snow). Should start warming up again tomorrow.

Edit to add - maximum temperature for Tokyo is 5C (41F) today, currently 0C in Kichijoji where it is actually snowing.
Bringing "White Day" AND cherry blossoms together.
Staying on topic!

FTR - here are the other spots showing retardation (tsubomi - buds only), along with their "first flower" prediction:
Toshimaen - March 18th
Komazawa Olympic Park - March 19th
Ukima Park - March 19th
Mukojima Hyakkaen - 20th
Shakuji Park - March 20th
Showa Kinen Koen - 20th March
Hikarigaoka Park - 21st March
Kinuta Park - 21st March
Musashino Park - March 21st
Tonerikoen - March 21st
Yomiuri Land - March 21st

Last edited by LapLap; Mar 20, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently 22:30 in Tokyo - 22nd March
from the list in the post a above this, those areas still showing as Tsubomi are:
Komazawa Olympic Park
Ukima Park
Myukojima Hyakka En
Shakuji Park
Showa Kinen Koen
Hikarigaoka Park
Kinuta Park
Musashino Park
Tonerikoen
​​​​​​​Yomiuri Land

Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24 hours later (23rd March)
those areas where the predicted first blossoms have still not appeared are:
Komazawa Olympic Park
Myukojima Hyakkaen
Shakuji Park
Showa Kinen Koen
​​​​​​​Musashino Park

Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
24 hours later (23rd March)
those areas where the predicted first blossoms have still not appeared are:
Komazawa Olympic Park
Myukojima Hyakkaen
Shakuji Park
Showa Kinen Koen
Musashino Park

Thanks for these updates! Really useful
LapLap and MattEvan like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, sempervivum. I was looking to keep track on where early varieties of cherry were blooming late so that I didn't confuse them with somewhere like Kiyosumi Park which has different kinds of cherry trees that are expected to bloom later.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Thank you, sempervivum. I was looking to keep track on where early varieties of cherry were blooming late so that I didn't confuse them with somewhere like Kiyosumi Park which has different kinds of cherry trees that are expected to bloom later.
This thread is super helpful, thank you! Do you think any blooms will still be up by April 8 in Tokyo?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattEvan
This thread is super helpful, thank you! Do you think any blooms will still be up by April 8 in Tokyo?
Kiyosumi Park is known for two kinds of cherry tree that are different from those in the other parks I've listed.

prunus campanulata (Taiwan Cherry) - which is a bell shaped blossom and a deep pink colour

​​​​​​​as well as prunus lannesiana - I suspect this is a variety with blossoms amidst tender green foliage, but I really am no expert

Both kinds of Sakura should be lovely, but rather different to the blossoms in other parts of the city. I assume that it's because they are less common cherry varietiesis the anticipated full bloom date is later than in other viewing spots.
​​​​​​​
The other expected late blooming spot is Lake Okutama as it is a fair distance from central Tokyo.
----
On the other hand, Showa Kinen Koen and Musashino park are still reported as Tsubomi (buds) right now at the end of the 24th March. So they are well behind their predicted 20th March (Showa) and 21st (Musashino) first bloom dates.
Both parks are relatively close to each other, so I would check on these if you're looking for a more "conventional" candy cotton blossom experience in the Tokyo area. With both parks having a 29th March full bloom forecast it seems reasonable to expect their full bloom to occur several days later, so I believe there is a chance they will be still glorious on the 8th April. But, as I said, do check.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of end of 24th March - the late comers list now includes only
Showa Kinen Koen (20th March)
Musashino Mark (21st March)

but we have a new entry:
Dam of Hamura (23rd March) - expected full bloom date originally 30th March
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Word of caution with Showa Kinen Koen, the information provided may well be correct but is most likely based on a particular reference tree.
It doesn't coincide with other reference trees in the park.
On the other hand, there are a large number of cherry trees at Showa Kinen Koen. Some are already at full bloom, others are just now coming into blossom. The expectation by those based there is a 28th March general full bloom date.
The park has a website and has released photographs taken on the 24th March
?????3?24?? | ????????????????
I'll be taking Showa Kinen Koen off of the "Tsubomi" list.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Musashino park still showing as "tsubomi".
There will be a sakura festival there on the 1st April - details of events (including folk dancing)
http://www.city.musashino.lg.jp.e.ad.hp.transer.com/shiminsanka/shimin/seikatsukeizai/1015550.html
And the sakura is scheduled to be lit at night until the 8th April
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Thanks LapLap for the reports. They are super-helpful.

We will arrive in Tokyo on March 31st and leave for Kanazawa on April 4th. Based on those dates where do you suggest we go for Hanami?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Thanks LapLap for the reports. They are super-helpful.

We will arrive in Tokyo on March 31st and leave for Kanazawa on April 4th. Based on those dates where do you suggest we go for Hanami?
That sounds rather fortunate. I will leave the response for Tokyo up to LapLap. For Kanazawa the obvious choice is Kerokuen Gardens, as I am sure you are aware - where full bloom is predicated for April 5 . Having just rejigged my trip, I will be there!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: BA BD SA
The other Kanazawa spot mentioned on the Sakura Navi web site is Mount Utatsu Park. Full bloom forecast for 6 April.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX/HKG - for your dates, I'd suggest making a full day of it on Sunday the 1st. You can combine a visit to Showa Kinen Koen and Musashino park (look at the time table in the link I posted - I think there was folk dancing at around 3:30pm).
I'm arriving late on the 29th and, depending on how we are with jet lag (brutal from Europe) we're probably going to Showa Kinen Koen on the 30th (but we tend to return here 2 or 3 times each visit because it's such a wonderful place, a real paradise for an active child. Am actually looking forward to seeing the tulips even more than the sakura))
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:05 am

How many days after "full bloom" will the blossoms stay on the trees with typical weather/wind/rain?

Nijo Castle has night illumination until mid April.

Osaka Mint viewing doesn't start until April 11.

Will there be anything left by that date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.