Wiki Posts
Search

Hakone Onsen/hotel with private baths?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:37 pm
gpy
Original Poster

Hakone Onsen/hotel with private baths?

I'm traveling to Japan for the first time in September with my husband and mother in law. We're spending 3 nights in Kyoto and 4 nights in Tokyo but planning a one night stand in Hakone in between in order for my husband to fulfill his dream of driving a JDM car in Japan (via Fun2Drive).

My​ husband has a few visible tattoos so we're looking for a nice ryokan with private baths in the Hakone/Gora areas. I'm budgeting about $1000-1200 for the night - either for a room for 3 pax or 2 separate rooms so ideally it would be a relatively luxurious experience. We would really like to experience the "authentic" ryokan experience with half board and mineral baths. Any suggestions? I came across a place called Owl and though I was able to read their website via Google translate I'm afraid I won't be able to communicate with the staff while we are there as none of us speak Japanese.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
With a budget that high you can easily get a high class ryokan that has private onsens attached to every room. Here's the english page for the highest ranked Ryokan I could find that was about $1000-$1200 for 3 people in 1-2 rooms. https://gorahanaougi.com/english/
You can check out Rakuten Travel's English Version to look for places. https://travel.rakuten.com/
gpy likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Hopefully your husband's tattoos aren't visible while wearing a yukata. The tattoo stigma goes beyond bathing.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by gpy
I'm traveling to Japan for the first time in September with my husband and mother in law. We're spending 3 nights in Kyoto and 4 nights in Tokyo but planning a one night stand in Hakone in between in order for my husband to fulfill his dream of driving a JDM car in Japan (via Fun2Drive).
One night stand? I understand what you're asking, but I had to chuckle at that one.
This has been discussed quite a lot. Just google Flyertalk + Hakone + "private onsen" and you should get a lot of info.
But I do concur that $1000-1200/night is a very generous budget for one night and that Hanaougi in Gora is a great choice. Try to avoid Fri & Sat nights if you want better rates.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:20 am
gpy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Hopefully your husband's tattoos aren't visible while wearing a yukata. The tattoo stigma goes beyond bathing.
I hadn't thought of that! Unfortunately they are visible when wearing a yukata. We may have to pack some skin colored bandages for wandering around the property. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:22 am
gpy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
One night stand? I understand what you're asking, but I had to chuckle at that one.
This has been discussed quite a lot. Just google Flyertalk + Hakone + "private onsen" and you should get a lot of info.
But I do concur that $1000-1200/night is a very generous budget for one night and that Hanaougi in Gora is a great choice. Try to avoid Fri & Sat nights if you want better rates.
whoops! Didn't even catch that. Unfortunately this one night does land on a Saturday night. D'oh! Hanaougi is definitely a top contender. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gpy
whoops! Didn't even catch that. Unfortunately this one night does land on a Saturday night. D'oh! Hanaougi is definitely a top contender. Thanks!
alternatively, dont wear the yukata and wear long sleeves indoors.
get a private onsen so the issue would be out of the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.