Long line at gate area souvenir shop at NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long line at gate area souvenir shop at NRT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Wow, in Singapore you really can get just about anything sold in Tokyo, can't you? The only place outside of Jpn where I'd seen Royce before was HKG. There's certainly no Royce in America.

But you're right about the prices. Jpnese things are so expensive there, compared to Hong Kong for example. 25-30% more.
Hmm, why did I vaguely remember Mitsuwa Supermarket having Royce on display?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:03 pm

Also, https://order.royceconfectusa.com/ ?!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:12 pm

Speaking of chocolate. My friend introduced me to LeTAO when I mentioned I was going to visit Otaru and I bought some of the grape chocolate (white chocolate, not nama chocolate) https://www.letao.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=884 and it was soooo good.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:20 pm

Are there any good salty omiyage snacks at the airport or in Tokyo?

@evergrn - Thanks for the tip about MonLoire maccha nama choco. There's a few shops in Tokyo including one near Yurakucho station https://www.monloire.co.jp/shop.html so I'll put it on my shopping list.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 11, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by LC USC
Speaking of chocolate. My friend introduced me to LeTAO when I mentioned I was going to visit Otaru and I bought some of the grape chocolate (white chocolate, not nama chocolate) https://www.letao.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=884 and it was soooo good.
Their Hokkaido milk pudding is also good but even more stress inducing to get home than Royce.

Royce is available at J. Sweets inside Mitsuwa. It is $18 USD per box. I still occasionally buy it as a gift. At least their single boxes get wrapped in a nicer ice bag with "Royce" printed on it.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by mapleg
I bought Tokyo Banana many years ago, and I only did it once. Am I the only one who thinks it is vastly overrated? Seems kind of like a twinkie to me and I certainly would never line up to buy those.
Yes, it definitely is.

I have gotten a few coworkers hooked on Goma Tamago, but my wife seems a bit harder to convince....
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Then a thought came to my mind, why not do what grocery stores in the U.S. are doing, why not have a cashier line with people with five items or less? That will be nice.
The stores should do something to address the overcrowding. Yours is not the only business that they're losing because of wait times and overcrowding. With some creative thinking, I think they could grow their revenue. As someone pointed out, people with five items are not the high priority, so perhaps a dedicated line for small baskets is not the best solution. Perhaps they should have a counter for people to pick up orders that they have placed and paid for in advance via an app or website - like coffee shops and fast food restaurants. That might alleviate the crowding and generate some high value transactions.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Perhaps they should have a counter for people to pick up orders that they have placed and paid for in advance via an app or website - like coffee shops and fast food restaurants. That might alleviate the crowding and generate some high value transactions.
Yes, I wish I could order ahead for gift foods.

Some of the in-town duty free shops have dedicated pick-up counters.
NRT: https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/service/svc_83
HND: Duty Free Pick Up | Haneda Airport International Terminal

Takashimaya Times Square 11F duty free (with airside airport pickup) seems to carry gift foods. No Royce, but it looks like they have more regional specialties.
BRAND ? Takashimaya Duty Free Shop SHILLA & ANA

Bic Camera offers in-store pickup for tourists https://www.biccamera.com.e.lj.hp.tr...keep-howto.jsp https://www.biccamera.com.e.lj.hp.tr...p?ref=en_index
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
Are there any good salty omiyage snacks at the airport or in Tokyo?

Takashimaya Times Square 11F duty free (with airside airport pickup) seems to carry gift foods. No Royce, but it looks like they have more regional specialties.
BRAND ? Takashimaya Duty Free Shop SHILLA & ANA
Shikibu No Sato do very nice (and gorgeously packaged - based on Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu) senbei/rice crackers.
My husband was presented with a box to give to our daughter by some visiting Korean Artists recently. They didn't last very long!
There are other senbei that I prefer, but only slightly, so if you're limited to buying something at the airport they're a fine choice.

Œ¹Ž•¨Œê‚ä‚©‚è‚ ‚ç‚êê–å“X ‹ž“s‰FŽ¡Ž®•”‹½(‚µ‚«‚Ô‚Ì‚³‚Æ)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by acregal
Yes, it definitely is.

I have gotten a few coworkers hooked on Goma Tamago, but my wife seems a bit harder to convince....
One of my coworkers is totally hooked on Tokyo Banana. He will request one or two boxes whenever someone is going to visit Japan LOL, so YMMV. I have enough random and seasonal stuff to try/buy that I don't think I will ever need to buy the same thing every time I go there for myself at least.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:27 pm

@evergrn - Thanks for the tip about MonLoire maccha nama choco. There's a few shops in Tokyo including one near Yurakucho station https://www.monloire.co.jp/shop.html so I'll put it on my shopping list.
I hope I don't raise your expectation too much. I do like it a lot, though. Here's a photo from a few years ago.

Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:32 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shimps1
What's the deal with Kit-Kat's and Royces? Never heard of anything special about them, but also never been to Tokyo. Going in March and don't want to miss out on snack stuff, so any tips would be great.
In case you haven’t noticed there’s a dedicated thread about Japanese KitKats.

Special flavor Kit Kats
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by VoiD
I flew out of NRT on 12/3 morning and there was no line! I picked up some boxes of Tokyo banana ang Ginza strawberry.
Last time I was going through NRT in June, yes there was a line out the store which seemed like at least a 20min wait.
Hi,

I bought some Tokyo banana and Ginza strawberry for my office colleagues back in the UK when I left NRT on the 9th ( they loved them)

There was a bit of a queue around 830am so I went into the lounge , an hour later and there was no queue.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:25 pm

I used the duty free option prior to security at HND for Royce BLUE SKY PREMIUM Haneda Airport International Terminal which didn't have a line. They put it in a sealed duty free bag & did the usual tax free form stapled to my passport. I'm not sure if the 5,000 yen min spend was there but ~ 5,500 spend was about 6 nama chocolate boxes + 2 boxes of the individually sealed chocolates + cooler bag & 2 ice packs. There was a line at the souvenir food shop inside security when I made it through, though it had shortened considerably by the time boarding started for my flight.

@evergrn - MonLoire matcha nama choco is indeed delicious and more intense than Royce matcha nama choco. I bought a regular & matcha MonLoire chocolate variety box at Takashimaya Nihonbashi since I was in the area.

As an aside on souvenirs & atrocious lines, the Bic Camera B1 tax free check-out line at Biclo Shinjuku took over an hour and at least 30 people deep around 9:00 pm weekday. The tax free desk had at least 6 registers opened and took over several other check-out areas around 9:45 pm as closing was getting closer. I was just paying/picking up an online reserved tax free order (or rather, order in English translated website which also was slightly below the min tax free purchase amount :/ ) and happened to be going near Biclo so selected that pickup location. I didn't want to be impolite & abandon the package there since a shop associate had pulled the items already. The checkout clerk confirmed that the other shops tax free lines are usually shorter and the Biclo tax free line is usually takes over an hour.
LCUF and LapLap like this.

Last edited by freecia; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:26 pm

MonLoire matcha nama choco is indeed delicious and more intense than Royce matcha nama choco. I bought a regular & matcha MonLoire chocolate variety box at Takashimaya Nihombashi since I was in the area.
So glad you found and liked Monloire's nama choco. I know where to get them in Kobe, but they're not easy to find around Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.