Wiki Posts
Search

Special flavor Kit Kats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Special flavor Kit Kats

How much does this cost in Japan - what is the mark up here?? Is this even available in Tokyo? http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Kit-K...=azuki+kit+kat

I had a taste of this getting the sampler from NRT and it's been on my mind. But must I pay this much $$$$?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
http://d.nestle.jp/kitkat/omiyage/kk...zuki_sand.html

Tokai and Hokuriku Area Limited Flavor 発売地域:東海・北陸 i.e. not available in Tokyo

希望小売価格(税込):¥840

These are always sold at "recommended" price, except at discount stores like Donki. Bought plastic bag packs of boring Matcha flavor, 12 mini bars for 298 or 398 while the recommended price is 525.

Current Kitkat line up: http://d.nestle.jp/kitkat/

Last edited by beep88; Apr 26, 2013 at 8:47 pm
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:04 pm

5 bucks is too much? This is for a box of 12. That's less than you would buy it for in Japan. (Edit: I see now that the shipping is a lot.)

That said, I did not see these in Japan a week ago.

Special flavors are always available for a limited time only. They rotate on a constant basis. Most of the flavors I see available on that Amazon page are definitely not available in Japan right now, so if you see one for $5 for a box, grab it. OTOH, there are probably other flavors in Japan right now that you can't yet get on Amazon (I can't remember, I just remember not seeing Azuki Bean). I do remember seeing Blueberry Cheesecake and Strawberry there right now.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I always look for the various Kit Kat special flavors and almost always buy whatever is in rotation when I am there. Unlike the previous poster, I kind of like the green tea flavor but I am not so sure about azuki bean. I am not even a huge fan of tayaki.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

So the markup is around 3x...hmmm....

The sampler box I got from NRT was around 3000JPY for a box of 15 flavors (2 small packets each): edamame, pear, blueberry cheesecake, Shinshu apple, chilli, cinnamon cookie, azuki bean sandwich, wasabi, strawberry cheesecake, brown sugar syrup, matcha green tea, hojicha roasted tea, citrus golden blend, strawberry, and purple sweet potato. The pear flavor was very true, the best were citrus golden and azuki bean sandwich. Cheesecakes were too sweet. I was looking for all matcha but only saw sakura matcha, which I didn't like.

I see the current line up has orange and hazelnut...yum.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this case the vendor is masking the price of the product with the shipping costs.
A realistic price for SAL and P&P charges for a Kit Kat package this size is more like $8.
The $5 price has grabbed your interest but the actual price demanded is more like $13, which is in line with other online vendors who sell in English.

As a consolation I can suggest this product (chocolate, flavoured with azuki beans and some barely detectable green tea powder)
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/j.../e293835h0000/
It's a big box with 6 individual bags each containing 4 of these fat pocky sticks.
Price is 347yen and this vendor will send by SAL and charge a true shipping cost.
I stocked up on several packets of ochazuke and furikake from this vendor a few weeks ago and added this to the package. Spent 1,800yen on goods and was charged 780yen for SAL shipping. 780yen is about the same price as a local return ticket on the London Underground.

(I keep my purchases under 15GBP so I don't get stiffed with customs charges and Royal Mail fees in the UK).
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Originally Posted by beep88

Current Kitkat line up: http://d.nestle.jp/kitkat/
Thanks for posting that link; I'll refer to the link on future trips to Japan.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I usually buy whatever is available at NRT or HND to bring back to the office but those gift boxes are grossly overpriced.

Nestlé Japan's online shop offers special flavor/regional Kit Kats but some are sold out (販売終了しました) and they don't ship outside Japan.

https://shop.nestle.jp/front/category/Confectionery/
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:10 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The limited edition flavors are sometimes available outside of their "jurisdiction." Some convenience stores have random theme sales (Okinawa and Hokkaido are popular), also you may want to check out prefectural antenna shops to see what they have in stock. Generic souvenir stores (ie, in major train stations) can come in handy.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Apr 28, 2013 at 10:21 pm Reason: added link for English explanation of antenna shops
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:25 pm

I have a box of these in my pantry now and I definitely bought them in Tokyo. There is a candy shop with a huge selection of Kitt Katts and other Japanese candy in Tokyo Station at First Avenue. I'll look at a shop map and see if I can find it for you but it was the best place I found for candy.

Edit: I think it's called Shokoku Gotochi Plaza and is referenced on this page. The photo looks like the place I shopped and the Kitt Katts are right on the very front display of the shop. http://travellingwithnikki.blogspot....meness_03.html

Last edited by MissJ; Apr 27, 2013 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:21 am
Original Poster

LapLap - Pocky's just not the same...

NewbieRunner - talk about overpriced...the sampler is listed as 2000JPY which meant I paid a huge premium buying at NRT!

I'd heard of Tokyo Station...will need to track it down when I go in December...
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:29 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJ
Edit: I think it's called Shokoku Gotochi Plaza and is referenced on this page. The photo looks like the place I shopped and the Kitt Katts are right on the very front display of the shop. http://travellingwithnikki.blogspot....meness_03.html
Thanks for the link. I wonder if they sell limited edition KitKats any cheaper than in shops at the airports.

In HND international terminal I have found some in a shop behind the T-shirt shop in Edo Market Place and a small convenience shop on the departure level both before security. I may have seen some at Air Lawson on the 1st floor but not the last time I was there about a month ago. Not sure about shops after security.

I haven't been able to find a map of Tokyo Station Ichibangai (First Avenue) in English but according to this map Shokoku Gotochi Plaza appears to be on the basement level right at the Yaesu (Shinkansen) end of First Avenue at the bottom of staircase A-2.

http://www.tokyoeki-1bangai.co.jp/fl...g/floorMap.pdf

A must on my next visit to Tokyo.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:32 pm

Can't wait to try these awesome flavors!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:23 am

My favorite is the Annin Dofu Fumi (chinese almond pudding flavor) Kit Kat from Yokohama.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Japanese Kit Kat

A friend of mine is visiting from Japan this weekend. And I am trying to get me as many kinds of Japanese kit kat flavours as possible. So far, she has only been able to find white, black, strawberry and green tea. I'm quite disappointed. Aren't there more interesting flavours? I've bought wasabi ones before. And I know there are like grapes, cookies and cream etc. Does anyone know if the stores at NArita have more variety? Or if you guys know any store in Tokyo that has all the regional flavours. I think some of the stores in Ameyoko might have it but she lives in Kanagawa and sound reluctant to go that far. hhehe. any help will be awesome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.