Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tax refund from purchase at local shop (Fukuoka)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ, QF

Hi there, I'll travel to Fukuoka in a few days' time and intend to buy a piece of Arita porcelain artwork (about JPY50k +) at a local store (I.e. not a duty free store).

I've a look at Fukuoka airport's website but it doesn't show any tax refund facilities. Does it mean that I won't be entitled to get a tax refund for my purchase of artwork? (I'm sure that the local store won't be able to arrange any tax exemption)

​​​​​​​Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Yes. The duty-free sale procedure starts with the store, so if the store isn't capable of doing tax-exempt sales, then there's no way to get the tax exempted after the fact.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ, QF
Thanks very much, it's good to know.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
To add on to what jamar said, I've shopped tax free at small office supply and fabric shops, along with larger stores. The tax is refunded at the stores and a tax receipt is placed in your passport to be collected post-security at exit immigration. Some stores have dedicated tax counters, others handle it right at the register.

More at https://tax-freeshop.jnto.go.jp/eng/index.php including a search of tax free shops at the bottom if you know your store's name.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
At smaller stores where I spent 20K+ and they don't do tax free, often they just gave me a discount equivalent to or better than the 8% tax.

I didn't actually have to ask for the discount. I just asked the store ONWER if there is tax free on the purchase.

Last edited by beep88; Nov 6, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
At smaller stores where I spent 20K+ and they don't do tax free, often they just gave me a discount equivalent to or better than the 8% tax.

I didn't actually have to ask for the discount. I just asked the store ONWER if there is tax free on the purchase.
Really? I've never had this happen to me. I frequently ask when I don't see the tax-free sign. They just tell me no, that's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.