Tokyo is the best city according Anthony Bourdain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo is the best city according Anthony Bourdain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
RIP Anthony Bourdain

A man loved Tokyo.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:19 pm

I've lived in Japan for going on two and a half years and it has been, by far, the best experience yet. There are so many fascinating aspects to the country and the ever-evolving atmosphere and activities really keep you on your toes. I am constantly having to check 'What to do this weekend' and am presented with so many opportunities to experience something new.

Unfortunately, I'll be leaving in eight months and am really not prepared for the reverse culture shock of returning back to a rude society.
jib71 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Issu
I've lived in Japan for going on two and a half years and it has been, by far, the best experience yet. There are so many fascinating aspects to the country and the ever-evolving atmosphere and activities really keep you on your toes. I am constantly having to check 'What to do this weekend' and am presented with so many opportunities to experience something new.

Unfortunately, I'll be leaving in eight months and am really not prepared for the reverse culture shock of returning back to a rude society.
Not to push aside sentiments about Tony passing (dedicated thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...s-suicide.html)

But I feel for you Issu. Years ago I went on holiday to Japan and grabbed myself a citizen to take back with me. The adjustment period was rough. Here’s a nugget
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5716397-post40.html

On the other hand, he’s made a career for himself making that reverse culture shock work for him. He offers the same service he wants to expect. It’s put him in demand.

Silver linings...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
No question. Mr. Bourdain was right about Tokyo. I think it grows on you. The older you get the more you appreciate it.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
RIP Anthony Bourdain

A man loved Tokyo.
Paid homage to Tony at wonderful Nishiki marked in Kyoto last week; another Japan city he loved.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by catcher1
Paid homage to Tony at wonderful Nishiki marked in Kyoto last week; another Japan city he loved.
Market. Damn.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
I count my blessings every day. Work sent me to Tokyo 12 years ago for a one year project. I had traveled all through Asia, but the high cost of Japan kept me away. The one year project got extended and with work paying my rent, I fell in love with the food, people, culture, hospitality and all that Bourdain wrote so fondly about. I'll miss Bourdain's storytelling and I'll miss Japan when I finally have to leave too.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:25 pm

I know it's kind of overdone but we like tracking down the places Anthony Bourdain visited in his shows. Didn't do any on our most recent trip but on a previous trip we visited the okonomiyaki shop, takoyaki shop, and hole in the wall sushi joint he visited in Osaka. We got a strange look from the sushi shop owner and wife when we entered (we likely missed an etiquette protocol, ooops). But with some help, we got some rough conversation going, one question being "How did we end up selecting his shop." The answer of course being "Anthony Bourdain!" That generated smiles and conversation all around.

Personally, I can't wait until we retire in a few years so we can spend over a month at a time in Japan so we can take our time enjoying everything instead of trying to fit in repeats of the stuff we love and new stuff we want to try in a 2 week trip.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Jay71
I know it's kind of overdone but we like tracking down the places Anthony Bourdain visited in his shows. Didn't do any on our most recent trip but on a previous trip we visited the okonomiyaki shop, takoyaki shop, and hole in the wall sushi joint he visited in Osaka. We got a strange look from the sushi shop owner and wife when we entered (we likely missed an etiquette protocol, ooops). But with some help, we got some rough conversation going, one question being "How did we end up selecting his shop." The answer of course being "Anthony Bourdain!" That generated smiles and conversation all around.
Sadly that hole in the wall sushi shop appears to have closed earlier this year. The owners retired, according to the last review posted on Tabelog. We visited in 2017 and was looking forward to going again in October but perhaps it is just not meant to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.