Subway fare in Tokyo and PASMO/SUICA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

One of little confusing aspect of fare system of Tokyo subway is that subway system in Tokyo consists form two separate companies, Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway. Even Japanese outside of Tokyo get confused by this.

Fares on subways in Tokyo are set independently by two separate companies. When journey involves riding on subway lines on two different companies, then fares are calculated adding fares of two different subway companies minus 70 yen. This makes a journey involving riding two different subway company more expensive than journey involving only one subway company.

For example, subway ride from Kudanshita to Asakusa:

Kudanshita to Nihonbashi (by Tokyo Metro Tozai Line)
then Nihonbashi to Asakusa (by Tokyo Metro Ginza Line)
ticket fare: 200 yen
PASMO/SUICA: 195 yen

Kudanshita to Nihonbashi (by Tokyo Metro Tozai Line)
then Nihonbashi to Asakusa (by Toei Subway Asakusa Line)
ticket fare: 280 yen
PASMO/SUICA: 269 yen

Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway are in talk about coming up with one fare system. There are talk about merger of Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway, but looks like that talk is progressing very very slow. Consolidation to one fare system is aiming at 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Fares on trains and subways often can involve more than one train companies, makes fare calculation bit confusing task for visitors to Japan. As even here at FlyerTalk use of PASMO and SUICA is talked about topic, where PASMO and SUICA are convenient because will get rid of figuring out ticket fare need to purchase from a ticket machine each time riding commuter trains and subways.

However, disadvantage of PASMO and SUICA for visitors not familiar with commuter trains and subway system is that unknowingly visitors can be choosing a route which is more expensive, not knowing there are cheaper and convenient routing.

Tokyo Metro and Toei Subway consolidating to one fare system will eliminate unknowingly choosing more expensive route when visitors are using PASMO and SUICA.

But there still is confusing part of choosing JR or other private rail companies. Usually other private rail companies have lower fare than JR Lines. But figuring out which is JR Line and which is not JR Lines can be little confusing.

JR, subway, and other rail companies do not disclose numbers, but before PASMO and SUICA, especially local residents, looked up fare maps at a station and figured out least expensive routing to the destination. However, today with PASMO and SUICA even local residents in Tokyo do not bother looking up fares, not even on apps on a cell phone, not many local residents will look up app each time riding trains to figure out least expensive routing. Some are saying that because of PASMO and SUICA use, in average more passengers are unknowingly ended up choosing higher fare routings which is resulting in more revenue for rail companies.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:14 am

I find the fact that many times apps will tell you to switch between the 2 lines by walking between stations. That seems inefficient. I often will just walk in Tokyo instead of doing that switch.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I find the fact that many times apps will tell you to switch between the 2 lines by walking between stations. That seems inefficient. I often will just walk in Tokyo instead of doing that switch.
Especially when you find out the transfer is like 750 meters or longer....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.