Hotel Kowakien at Hakone to close

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

One of the well known Onsen hotel in Hakone, Hotel Kowakien, will close its door on Jan. 10, 2018 the owner of the hotel, Fujita Kanko, has announced.

Hotel Kowakien was opened on 1959 and the building was showing its age, along with the redevelopment plan in the area, the owner of the hotel decided to close the business.

Theme park based facility located next to the hotel, Kowakien Yunessun, will continue to operate. Yunessun is a coed facility so bathing suites are required.

The new lodging facility which will be built as a part of the redevelopment of the area is planned as Japanese ryokan type facility, not European hotel type facility.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:28 pm

Yunessun is no longer worth it. The bathing-suit area is half of what it was, and they shut down the better half. The large onsen pool, wine and green tea and coffee onsen built onto the hillside... all that's been gutted down to make way for this new hotel with en-suite rotenburo in every room. So the attractions are much less than before, food just as terrible as before, I'm sure. I also am skeptical about the quality of onsen at this new hotel they're opening soon. Yunessun's onsen was pretty watered down, and I suspect it'll be the same if they're distributing gensen into every room.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:56 am

I am looking at going to Hakone in September and would love to know some onsen recommendations.

My dilemma is the balance of Tokyo and Hakone. I was thinking of spending 4 days in TYO and then a few days in Hakone recuperating from TYO.

I have a lot of Chase UR and could spend 4 nights in the Andaz and the luxury it entails but may just use my award nights at the Regency in Shinjuku and splurge in Hakone.

I would love to know places in the $300-500/night for 2 people Hakone ryokans.

What would the fine people here recommend:

4 days Andaz/Park Hyatt Tokyo and 2 days budget Hakone ryokan

-OR-

4 days Hyatt Regency Tokyo and 2 days luxury Hakone ryokan/onsen

Any thoughts appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by TravelPDX7
I am looking at going to Hakone in September and would love to know some onsen recommendations.

My dilemma is the balance of Tokyo and Hakone. I was thinking of spending 4 days in TYO and then a few days in Hakone recuperating from TYO.

I have a lot of Chase UR and could spend 4 nights in the Andaz and the luxury it entails but may just use my award nights at the Regency in Shinjuku and splurge in Hakone.

I would love to know places in the $300-500/night for 2 people Hakone ryokans.

What would the fine people here recommend:

4 days Andaz/Park Hyatt Tokyo and 2 days budget Hakone ryokan

-OR-

4 days Hyatt Regency Tokyo and 2 days luxury Hakone ryokan/onsen

Any thoughts appreciated and thank you in advance.
I've never stayed at Andaz. You'll have to sort of make the decision on which property to stay at in Tokyo and how to make the best use of your points. To me, Hyatt Regency is a fine choice. Little more convenient than Park Hyatt with respect to distance to train, shops.

$400-500 could get you into a lot of fine ryokans in Hakone if on a weekday (Sun-Thu that's non-holiday). For high-end places possibly in that price range during the week, look into these:

http://www.gorahanaougi.com/hanaougi/
http://www.kyuan.jp/
http://www.hakone-kamon.jp/

These are all very highly-regarded. I've actually only stayed at the first one (most of my stays have been at second-tier places), but I always have my eye on onsens in Hakone and those other two are high on my list of places I'd like to stay at eventually. Hanaougi may not be available for $500. Usually more like $600-700. Of course, dinner & breakfast included. Private en-suite onsen in your room. The other two places are a couple notches cheaper, usually. There's plenty of places that are more like $250-300/night for two, but still decent and relaxing although not super-luxurious.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
If your traveling partner is a romantic companion of the opposite sex, don't forget that by default, non-private baths are single-sex.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I've never stayed at Andaz. You'll have to sort of make the decision on which property to stay at in Tokyo and how to make the best use of your points. To me, Hyatt Regency is a fine choice. Little more convenient than Park Hyatt with respect to distance to train, shops.

$400-500 could get you into a lot of fine ryokans in Hakone if on a weekday (Sun-Thu that's non-holiday). For high-end places possibly in that price range during the week, look into these:

http://www.gorahanaougi.com/hanaougi/
http://www.kyuan.jp/
http://www.hakone-kamon.jp/

These are all very highly-regarded. I've actually only stayed at the first one (most of my stays have been at second-tier places), but I always have my eye on onsens in Hakone and those other two are high on my list of places I'd like to stay at eventually. Hanaougi may not be available for $500. Usually more like $600-700. Of course, dinner & breakfast included. Private en-suite onsen in your room. The other two places are a couple notches cheaper, usually. There's plenty of places that are more like $250-300/night for two, but still decent and relaxing although not super-luxurious.
Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately it looks like there is no availability in the times I am going to be there.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:27 pm

Most likely they have not opened up room inventory for online booking just yet. A lot of Japanese ryokans do not let you book online until 3-6months out. If you want to check, I would email the hotel and ask.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Hakone Kowakien reponed on July 12 after 5 years of renovation work. When the hotel closed for renovation back in 2018, the press said that the newly renovated facility will be Japanese ryokan-based lodging. However, the newly renovated Hakone Kowakien is Western-style hotel rooms. Even Japanese-style rooms have beds, not futons on a tatami floor. Guests staying at Hakone Kowakien have free access to Yunessun, a water theme park using hot spring water.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.