Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sumo: worth seeing or not

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Sumo: worth seeing or not

My family's upcoming Japan trip (myself, a 12 year old and a 10 year old) happens to be during the September sumo tournament in Tokyo. I am considering going to see the sumo one afternoon.

I understand it is a few seconds of action for each match. I have also looked at the seating and to get three seats (rather than sitting on the floor Japanese style) we would be up a ways in the balcony area.

Overall for people who have seen a sumo tournament, would you say it is worth doing or not?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
My family's upcoming Japan trip (myself, a 12 year old and a 10 year old) happens to be during the September sumo tournament in Tokyo. I am considering going to see the sumo one afternoon.

I understand it is a few seconds of action for each match. I have also looked at the seating and to get three seats (rather than sitting on the floor Japanese style) we would be up a ways in the balcony area.

Overall for people who have seen a sumo tournament, would you say it is worth doing or not?
I have been many times, took my mother once and she had a fun time too ! The most important bouts/ring ceremonies are during the last few hours of the day. I would say go between 16:00-18:00 ! Nothing wrong with the box seats if you can get the tickets !
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Have not been to a sumo tournament, but if I had a 10 yr old and a 12 yr old, Sumo would be one of the last things I would do. (I have a 12 yr old son, and visited Japan with him when he was 10 yrs old)

Alternatives I would suggest
Disney land/sea
Miraikan (museum where Obama visited)
Tokyo Tower/Skytree
Harajuku/Shinjuku
Kamakura
Train museum
Ueno Zoo
Museum of Science (Imperial Palace)
Museum of Natural History (Ueno)
Various aquariums
Kamakura
Enoshima
other things in Odaiba
Tsukuba mountains
Hakone Mountains
Izu
......etc
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Nothing wrong with the box seats if you can get the tickets !
Do you have to sit cross-legged in the box seats or can you stretch out your legs?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Have not been to a sumo tournament, but if I had a 10 yr old and a 12 yr old, Sumo would be one of the last things I would do. (I have a 12 yr old son, and visited Japan with him when he was 10 yrs old)

Alternatives I would suggest
Disney land/sea
Miraikan (museum where Obama visited)
Tokyo Tower/Skytree
Harajuku/Shinjuku
Kamakura
Train museum
Ueno Zoo
Museum of Science (Imperial Palace)
Museum of Natural History (Ueno)
Various aquariums
Kamakura
Enoshima
other things in Odaiba
Tsukuba mountains
Hakone Mountains
Izu
......etc
Thanks, some of these are on our itinerary already. Our last 2 days will be at Disneyland and Disneysea. I am not so sure about museums though.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
Do you have to sit cross-legged in the box seats or can you stretch out your legs?
We had a family box that could fit six and there were three and you could stretch out.

Yes. You should go.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've been many times; I love sumo! It's literally the only sport I'm interested in. I have no idea if it's a good idea for kids, so maybe watch some bouts online and see what it's like.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I am also a fan but can see that it would be pretty boring for kids.

If I might make a suggestion, why not just watch the matches on tv in your hotel room once or twice while you are there. Most decent hotels have access to the bilingual channel so the commentary and explanations are in English and you would have a MUCH better view of the action. The broadcast is always on NHK between 4:00 and 6:00 pm. One of the more interesting times is right at 4 pm when they do the colorful dohyo iri entrance ceremony by all the rikishi (wrestlers) followed by the yokozuna's (grand champion) ring entering ceremony and purification ritual. Those only last a few minutes.

Each bout after that will take 3 to 5 minutes with only a few seconds being actual sumo action. The rest of the time is ritualized preparation and stare-down.

If you go, you will most likely be in bleacher seating unless you want to spend a lot for a box. Even if you do that, you will not be very close to the ring as the ringside seats are pretty much all season ticket holders. Be sure to buy snacks and drinks on the way in. Everybody does that. You can also pick up a rental portable radio tuned to the English commentary simulcast.

I find the general seating at the Kokugikan to be very uncomfortable so even as a fan, I usually only attend in person one or two days to get my photos and the current bento meal while watching a few matches in each of the various divisions and then see the rest of the basho on tv.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta
I say by all means go. It's a unique experience that can't be duplicated. A little study/video watching beforehand will probably make it more interesting.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
The one time I visited Japan during a tournament, we went. We got the super cheap seats sold only on day-of, which are not seats I would recommend for anyone really into Sumo. They were the at the very top row of the stadium, and were regular sets (i.e. not box, not floor seating, regular stadium seats). But, they were so cheap that we felt no obligation to stay for any particular length of time, and we wouldn't be too bummed about it if we just found the whole experience lame.

We didn't find it lame, at all, though. If you go, you'll see something uniquely Japanese, and a particular slice of life you can't really experience anywhere else within Japan. It's possible that it would be boring for the kids, but on the other hand, all the pageantry associated with the top level guys is pretty crazy and they might like it.

I say give it a try with some cheap seats early during your time in Tokyo. Show up in time for the top classification group, watch the entrance ceremony, and one or two bouts. If you're having fun, stick around for the rest of the day, otherwise, go get an early dinner
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:18 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Get your seats here -- they sell baseball too.

www.japanballtickets.com/
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rather than go to a tournament, have you considered attending a morning practice session with the kids instead?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I do think it is good idea to go see Sumo, it is Japanese experience. What is the point of doing something at Tokyo which you can experience same back at your home?

I do agree with other that question will be how long can your 12 and 10 years old can keep themself entertained watching Sumo. My suggestions will be same as other that do not plan to be at Sumo for entire length of the day.

Usual Sumo daily schedule is that the stadium opens at 8:00 a.m. Sumo match starts from 8:35 a.m. Matches starts from lower ranked wrestlers and make way up to the top wrestlers at the end of the day, which end at 6:00 p.m.

Hardly any people go watch matches by lower ranked wrestlers, so matches in the morning are pretty empty, hardly any audience. Second half of afternoon is where places really get filled, I recommend during that time. My recommendation will be arrive around 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. and stay till the end at 6:00 p.m. Kokugikan where Tokyo Sumo event take place has small display of Sumo history and shops and restaurants, possible that you can arrive earlier and your 12 and 10 years old will enjoy.

Around 3:50 – 4:00 p.m. Yokozuna, current top ranked Sumo wrestler, will enter the center ring wearing fancy Mawashi (those Japanese fundoshi Sumo wrestlers wear) which signify matches by top Sumo wrestlers. The place really gets filled for this event. Very end right before 6:00 p.m. is Yumitorishiki, where a wrestler with a bow will be on the center ring, the ceremonial show by a Sumo wrestler which signifies the end of daily match.

Originally Posted by LapLap
Rather than go to a tournament, have you considered attending a morning practice session with the kids instead?
Morning event is not a practice, it is actual official matches by lower ranked Sumo wrestlers which goes into official record. Since it is lower ranked wrestlers, usually there are hardly any audience during morning match.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I did mean the training/practice.
Usually, it's a 6am or 7am start for this. Apparently, there are Beya/stables that allow visitors access during tournament season - this might be something to talk with a hotel concierge about.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2009/08/20/sumo/how-to-view-sumo-up-close-and-in-person-asageiko/#.V1Gi8Ym9Kc1
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LapLap
Actually, I did mean the training/practice.
Usually, it's a 6am or 7am start for this. Apparently, there are Beya/stables that allow visitors access during tournament season - this might be something to talk with a hotel concierge about.
That is not actual Sumo match but practice at their gym, or Sumo Beya. I personally think is not same as watching actual event. Anyway, my understanding is that during the tournament, such as OP’s situation where Tokyo Oo-Sumo Tournament is taking place, there usually is no early morning practice session at each Sumo Beya. Morning practice session take place at each Sumo Beya when there is no tournament. Visiting early morning practice at Sumo Beya is good option when tourists are in town when there is no Sumo tournament is going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.