Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Last min trip to Japan -- 3 days to plan!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last min trip to Japan -- 3 days to plan!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
you can easily visit osaka from a base in kyoto or vice versa. So, I would definitely not "add" Osaka as a lodging point. But, you could add time to Kyoto to give you a chance to visit Osaka if you wanted to. I don't think there's a viable way for us to answer that one for you...it's a matter of personal tastes.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a new ryokan-type property which is part of Starwood. It should be instantly bookable on line through spg.com if it's available. It's specialized but sounds extremely nice.

For the Imperial Hotel Tokyo, I would suggest at least a junior suite in the main building, perhaps on one of the Imperial Club floors, for a luxury experience. A standard twin in the towers building will seem cookie-cutter modern, although I think these rooms also have the self-filling bathtubs now.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I agree with angra that choice of hotels you have listed will be matter of personal taste, and I do not think any of us can answer which will fit you better.

As for Ryokan vs. Hotel. I am bit worried that this is your first time visit to Japan. Will be sleeping on a mattress on a floor. Even at high end Ryokans you will likely to find bathroom is quite smaller than luxurious hotels you may have stayed in the U.S. Also Ryokan comes with dinner and breakfast. Meals can be different from sushi, tempura, and teriyaki you had in the U.S. Also, concept of what considered being luxurious in lodging in Japanese Ryokan can be different from the concept from the U.S. hotels.

This website shows meals served at Tawaraya at Kyoto. Website is in Japanese but can see pictures. Last three pictures are what were served for breakfast.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by angra
you can easily visit osaka from a base in kyoto or vice versa. So, I would definitely not "add" Osaka as a lodging point.
fwiw I'm finding very little hotel availability around Osaka this weekend (5/28~5/29) so it may not even be possible to stay in Osaka for OP.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you again to everyone. Final question: given my preference towards boutique shops and smaller restaurants, yet ultimate luxury, what is the best option for hotel in Tokyo? Mandarin? Ritz? Palace? Pen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.