Wiki Posts
Search

Narita Express Ticket Purchase

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Narita Express Ticket Purchase

Does anyone know if at Narita T2 there is a Narita Express ticket counter at the Arrival level (outside of Customs)?
I know that there is a ticket counter on the lower level, just before entering the area for train boarding. This area is sometime crowded, so I am checking if there is another location (perhaps upstairs at the Arrival level) where one can also buy ticket.
Thanks,
Old May 4, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Looks like it:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...svc_32.html#t2
Old May 4, 2016, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Excellent. Thank you for the info.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: pleb
Yes it's directly in front of the arrivals area, can't miss it.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
this March, couple of time when I passed the 1F counter it was unstaffed.
I'm not sure whether they do JR pass exchange there.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nightkhan
Yes it's directly in front of the arrivals area, can't miss it.
I will look for it next time I am in Tokyo. From the description above, it should be in the general area where the Airport Limousine counter is (and I do know where these guys are in T2 arrival hall).
Old May 6, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by mingw
this March, couple of time when I passed the 1F counter it was unstaffed.
I'm not sure whether they do JR pass exchange there.
I don't think they do, but remember that the JR Pass is only for people admitted with "tourist" status, so the majority of riders (Japanese nationals, foreigners with non-tourist visa statuses) on the N'EX simply need a single ticket.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
Making reservation online

I'm reading online how to make a reservation for NEX from NRT to Shinagawa but the JR page says in multiple places I have to collect ticket by 9pm the day before travel or it reservation will be cancelled - how is that possible if I don't arrive to NRT until day of travel.

And does anyone know exactly where on JR site I make the correct reservation for the NEX train?

First time to Japan, so I'm trying to find my way.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by radiotvlaw
I'm reading online how to make a reservation for NEX from NRT to Shinagawa but the JR page says in multiple places I have to collect ticket by 9pm the day before travel or it reservation will be cancelled - how is that possible if I don't arrive to NRT until day of travel.
It's not. Those are standard JR ticket reservation rules. They work fine for most trains, but not particularly for the N'EX upon arrival.

And does anyone know exactly where on JR site I make the correct reservation for the NEX train?
Don't worry about making an advance N'EX reservation from the airport. Everyone just buys a ticket after they exit Customs. Among other reasons, what if your flight is delayed (or arrives early), and you want or need to take another train? If you're late and miss your train, then a good portion of your ticket's value would be lost.

Just buy it when you get there. Passengers only arrive so fast on inbound flights, an there are many modes of transport from the airport. I've never seen a problem with getting a N'EX ticket upon arrival.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt

And does anyone know exactly where on JR site I make the correct reservation for the NEX train? ...
No advance reservations for N'Ex. Just get your ticket when you get there. The ticket agents will put you on the next available train. If you will be using a Japan Rail Pass, do the exchange first and then have the same agent make your N'Ex reservation.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL

If you insist on booking online, that's the rule.

No one books NEX online because

1) there is no need, as they almost never sell out

2) it's not practical, as you need pick up a day in advance

3) what if your flight is delayed?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:19 am

The N'EX isn't that expensive, especially not if there is some special deal for foreign visitors going on.

You lose little by validating your JR Pass the next day at a station in Tokyo, i.e. any major station with a reservation office identified by a green four-leaf clover mark, unless you are traveling directly from NRT to some distant city, as in, you plan to make it to Kyoto or Osaka that night.

And remember, a JR Pass is a waste of money if your entire trip is confined to one region (Tokyo-Yokohama-Chiba or Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe), and you would be better off either buying single tickets or inquiring into some of the regional passes.

I've made about a dozen trips to Japan since 2000, and I have never had trouble getting a seat on the N'EX inbound. I've been on crowded outbound trains, but on the inbound trains I usually have two seats to myself, and that's with arriving at the same time as all the other North American flights.

The N'EX runs often enough that if I were to find that a train was sold out, I would simply buy a ticket for the next available train and hang out in Starbuck's till it was time to board.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Not to mention there is always the Keisei Skyliner which I prefer to the N'Ex for many locations.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
As other have already mentioned, it is difficult to time how long will take to exit from customs after the arrival. Which makes purchasing Narita Express ticket in advance not that practical. This is the same reason JR East is not actively looking ways for NRT arriving passengers to purchase tickets outside of Japan before arrival to NRT. JR East knows such can lead to a situation where all seats are sold out but Narita Express departing Narita Airport with a lot of empty seats. Another reason is that JR Rail Pass can only be activated after the arrival to Japan. JR Rail Pass passengers cannot purchase tickets before arrival to Japan, which also make ability to purchase JR tickets outside of Japan in advance of arrival to Japan not practical.

Same reason where Limousine Bus tickets can be purchased in advance for a ride from the city to Narita Airport, but no advance ticket purchase for a ride from Narita Airport to the city.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Not to mention there is always the Keisei Skyliner which I prefer to the N'Ex for many locations.
Yes, the Skyliner is more convenient for people staying in the Ueno area or in the Ikebukuro area if there are no N'EXs running there at a convenient time.

In such cases, you buy a ticket to Nippori and transfer to the Yamanote Line there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.