Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28days Japan - Solo Trip [Winter]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:39 am
Original Poster

28days Japan - Solo Trip [Winter]

Hey guys, appreciate if you can give some comments and inputs. I'm going to Japan for 28 days in Japan. Basically, I covered abit of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and parts of Hokkaido in my past 2 trips before. I'll like to go for solo this time round.

8Dec - Singapore to Osaka > Dotombori Konamon Museum and Dotobori > Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
9Dec - Matuya Shinsaibashi for japanese breakfast > Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum > The Osaka Museum of Housing and Living > Umeda Sky Building > Kuromon Ichiba Market > Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
10Dec > Namba Yasaka Shrine > Shitennoji Temple > Spa World Osaka > Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum > Minato-machi River Place > Muten Kura Sushi Kitatsumori > Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
11Dec - Side trip from Osaka to Kobe > Nunobiki Waterfall > Nunobiki Herb Garden & Ropeway > Nankinmachi (Chinatown) > Kobe Meriken / Mosaic / Kobe Harbourland > Kobe Maritime Museum and Kawasaki Good Times World > Kobe Port Tower > Kobe Luminarie 2015 > Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
12Dec - Side trip from Osaka to Nara > Nobori-oji Street > Isuien Garden > Yoshiki En > Todai-ji Temple > Nigatsu-do Hall > Kasuga-Taisha Shrice > Kofuku-ji Temple > Naramachi > Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
13 Dec - Side trip from Osaka to Inuyama > Meiji Mura (Heard that this place can slowly spend lots of time (Any other places to venture?) > Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
14 Dec - Check out and move to Hiroshima Hana Hostel > Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum > Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome > Hiroshima Castle > Okonomi Mura > Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel
15 Dec - Side trip from Hiroshima to Miyajima Island > Floating Torii > Itsukushima Shrine > Daisho-in Temple > Mazda Museum > Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel (Anything I missed out here?)
16 Dec - Side trip from Hiroshima to Kurashiki > Toy Museum > Momotaro Museum > Piggy Bank Museum > Ivy Square > Kurabo Museum > Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel
17 Dec - Side trip from Hiroshima to Okunoshima (Rabbit Island) > Okunoshima Poison Gas Museum > Ruins of Former Power Plant > Ruins of Former Batteries (Heard its a small island good to cover the whole island with foot, anything special else to take note of?) > Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel
18Dec - Check out from Hiroshima to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu > Visit Jigoku (all 8 hells) > Jigokumushi Kobo Steam Cooking Center > Back to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu
19Dec - Side trip from Beppu to Yufuin > Totoro Shop > Lake Kinrinko > Sansuikan > Anything else to check out here or do? > Back to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu
20Dec - Side trip from Beppu to Nakatsu > Fukuzawa Yukichi's Old Residence Memorial Museum > Inari Shrine > Nakatsu Castle > (Anything else nice to check out?) > Back to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu
21Dec - Any other side trips worth from Beppu? I did thought of Usuki and Kunisaki Peninsula but it is not easy to travel without private transport as public transport are not easily available. I have this one day that I don't know where I could venture and Miyazaki seems to be a bit far off to travel to and fro
22 Dec - Check out of Beppu to Kumamoto Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya > I've not plan this yet ( like to get more inputs here if possible, like what can I do or see or anything interesting for a simple day after checking in)
23Dec - A side trip or anything in Kumamoto prefecture that is a must see.
24Dec - It's xmas eve! Will it affect my travel? Side trip from Kumamoto to Nagasaki > The Atomic Bomb Hypocenter Park > Peace Center > Atomic Bomb Museum > Back to Kumamoto Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya
25Dec - Check out of Kumamoto to Fukuoka > Anything to check out? A relax day after moving around > Back to Fukuoka AirBnB (Near JR Kashii station)
26Dec - I'm not sure about this sequence yet.... Takachiho Shrine > Amano Iwato Shrine > Amano Yasukawara > Takachiho Gorge > Watch Kagura Dance (Heard it's interesting even if I don't understand Japanese.) > Back to Fukuoka AirBnB (Near JR Kashii station)
27Dec- Canal City and Kushida Jinja, any other recommendations or side trips from Fukuoka?
28Dec - Check out from Fukuoka to Hakone
29 & 30Dec - Any side trips and interesting places from and at Hakone that is a must check out?
31 Dec Check out of Hakone to Tokyo.
I have time from 31 Dec to 5 Jan in Tokyo. I'll like to check out how Japan celebrate new year, I saw that there are interesting event activities such as people will rush to hit a "bell" in the temple when midnight strikes or something like this. Anyway I could see this? And what are the side trips worth moving around in tokyo.

I like to see nice sights, interesting museums, historical places, NICE FOOD^ and anything interesting and pretty or even cool experiences like wearing kimono (and doesn't burnt a hole in my pocket). Alittle of shopping but not main bulk.

So do advise me if I miss out anything or I can see anything even more interesting.

I need some advises. Should I get JR passes or any other transportation passes that will help cut down my transportation expenses? Cos I know most passes I need to get outside japan for tourist. Good and cheap eats, don't need to be a restaurant, I like street food or even like going to fish markets for sashimi. Loves sashimis, seafood (snow crab) and meats! So any recommendations too!

For some museums, do they accept student pass from other countries for concession rates? Or is there any youth cards that I can apply?

My accommodations are planned in a way that I can make side trips, not sure it's the most convenient but I based on map mainly to decide therefore I planned this places. So my accommodations are from Osaka > Hiroshima > Beppu > Kumamoto > Fukuoka (Near Hakata) > Hakone > Tokyo. As I'm backpacking, I also don't want to keep changing hostels or stays.

Are ATMs and Foreign Currency Exchange easily available?

What are the weather really like? Is it really cold on the regions that I travel to?

Any recommendations on data cards for internet for 30days and without me having to worry to exceed data for 30days. Mainly for me to use to navigate and communicate to my family such as Whatsapp. It'll be good if I can have a small amount allocated to the data sim card to do calls to hostels if I need. I've mainly found 7 days data sim without outgoing or incoming calls. And I'll be touching down and flying off at tokyo Narita Terminal 2. Can I get this there?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA, NW
The way you plan to run around, a JR pass would definitely be helpful. the longest pass is three weeks, so don't buy it until you are ready to leave Osaka. (You can easily go from Osaka to Kobe on private rail lines that are not covered by the JR Pass.)

There is great food everywhere in Japan. There isn't a lot of street food except at festivals or at night near train stations, but there are a LOT of reasonable restaurants everywhere.

I don't know of any museums that accept foreign student passes.

If your ATM card is on the Plus or Cirrus network, you can use the ATMs in post offices or 7/11 convenience stores.

I haven't done this myself--I usually stay in hotels with wi-fi--but you can rent a pocket wi-fi hot spot at NRT. A lot of people I know recommend this. You can phone home on Skype using wi-fi.

The weather should be dry but chilly, with highs of about 5°C. Snow is unlikely where you are going.

Since you will be in Nagasaki on Christmas Eve, be aware that it is one of the most Christian cities in Japan. Even for non-Christians, Christmas Eve has somehow become the big night for dates and for going out drinking. However, Christmas Day will be a normal work day for the majority of the population.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by ksandness
I don't know of any museums that accept foreign student passes.
A good number of public museums and the like will accept ISIC cards, although they might not realize it outside the bigger places.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you ksandness and SeriouslyLost!

Anything recommended for tokyo? Like things to see, try, do or eat?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:56 pm

There is more to see and do in Tokyo than I can describe in a single post. Really. I have lived there and visited more times than I remember, and I still haven't done everything.

Buy a city guidebook (several publishers have them) and a map, and figure out for yourself what your priorities are.

Finding reasonable food won't be a problem. Just pop into any one of the thousands (literally thousands) of family-owned restaurants in the city, most of which specialize in one category of food (noodles, tempura, donburi rice dishes, curry, sushi, etc.) If the prices aren't posted in the window or on a picture menu, you can't afford them.

As far as New Year is concerned, New Year's Eve is a family holiday in Japan, not a time for public merrymaking, so the main event will be going to the nearest Shinto shrine at midnight to pray for good luck in the coming year. The Buddhist temples ring their bells 108 times, once for each of the 108 sins that Buddhism recognizes. Ask the owners of your hostel for suggestions.

Some things are closed from January 1 to January 3. Check online before you go to a museum or store. Temples and shrines are all open, though, as people like to go and pray.

Last edited by ksandness; Sep 14, 2015 at 2:02 pm
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Le_Hazel
Any recommendations on data cards for internet for 30days and without me having to worry to exceed data for 30days
When I holiday in Japan I always rent a pocket wifi, partially because Japan doesn't generally have free wifi everywhere like some other cities (that's changing a bit lately though), mostly because my wife and I are social media whxres who can't survive 2 hours without internet.

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Can be a bit pricey on a student budget. On the bright side they ship it to the post office at narita airport so you can pick it up upon landing.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Finally kinda finalise my itinerary.
Day 01 - Dotonbori > Dotombori Konamon Museum
Day 02 - Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum > Oask Museum of Housing and Living > Umeda Sky Building > Kuromon Ichiba Market
Day 03 - Namba Yasaka Shrine > Shitennoji Temple > Spa World Osaka > Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum > Minato-machi River Place
Day 04 - Nunobiki Waterfall > Nunobiki Herb Garden & Ropeway > Nakinmachi >Kobe Meriken > Mosaic > Harbourland > Kobe Maritime Museum and Kawasaki Good Times World > Kobe Port Tower > Kobe Luminarie 2015
Day 05 - Kofuku-ji > Isuien Garden > Yoshiki En > Todai-ji > Nigatsu-do > Kasuga Taisha > Naramachi
Day 06 - Meiji Mura
Day 07 - Hiroshima Castle > Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome > Peace Memorial Park and Museum > Okonomi Mura
Day 08 - Iwakuni Kintai-Kyo > Iwakuni Castle > Kikko Park
Day 09 - Itsukushima Shrine and Floating Torii > Daisho In > Daisho in course to Mt Misen Summit
Day 10 - Okunoshima Poison Gas Museum > Ruins of the Former Power Plant > Ruins of Former Batteries
Day 11 - Kintetsu Beppu Ropeway > Oita Fragrance Museum > Kitaham Termas Onsen
Day 12 - Yufuin Lake Kinrinko > Sansuikan
Day 13 - Jigoku (Visit 8 hells) > Jigokumushi Kobo Steam Cooking Center
Day 14 - Dolphin Watching with Sea Cruise [Anyone familiar how to get there from kumamoto?] > Kumamoto-jo
Day 15 - Mount Aso [Is there any particular route to explore?]
Day 16 - Scenic Train Ride (5hours - Contemplating between this or Shinkasen 1hr, price similar) > Sightseeing in Kagoshima using City Bus
Day 17 - Nagasaki Peave Park > Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum > Meganebashi Bridge > Konfukuji > Nagasaki Chinatown > Confuscius Shrine > Oura Church > Glover Dori
Day 18 - Fukuoka Space World
Day 19 - Takachiho Shrine > Amanoiwato Shrine > Takachiho Gorge
Day 20 - Shopping around Tenjin Station and Xmas lightings around Tenjin Station
Day 21 - Tokyo Nakano Shopping F&E
Day 22 - Hakone Yumoto Station via Odakyu Limited Express Romance Car > Hakone Open Air Museum > Gora Station Street > Hakone Ropeway > Owakudani See volcano > Togendai Ropeway > Hakone Sightseeing Cruise at Lake Ashi [Is it the pirate ship tour] > Moto Hakone Ko > Tokyo [Thinking of using Hakone Free Pass but is it worth it for my day 22 & 23 itinerary?]
Day 23 - Gotemba Premium Outlets > Venetian Glass Museum > Kubota Itchiku Art Museum > Lake Kawaguchi > Kawaguchiko Music Box Museum > Hakone Kowakien Yunessun Hotspring and Water Amusement Park > Tokyo
Day 24 - Pokemon Center Mega Tokyo > Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office > Yodobashi > Meiji Shrine
Day 25 - Buy Enoshima-Kamakura Freepass > Palace of the Dragon > Enoshima Bridge > Enoshima Shrine > Sea Candle Lighthouse > Kamakura Daibutsu > Hasedera > Kamakura Hiking Trail - Northern Hills > Kenchoji > Suisenji > Shishimai Valley > Tsurugaoia Hachimangu > Fujisawa Station > Tokyo
Day 26 - Imperial Palace > Legoland Discovery Center > Tokyo Tower > One Piece Museum > Shiodome City Center Illuminations
Day 27 - Sensoji > Nakamise > Asakusa Culture Tourist Information Center > Tokyo Sky Tree
Day 28 - Ghibli Museum
Day 29 - Fujiko Fujio Museum
Day 30 - Chill > Home sweet home

Is Hakone 2 Day Free Pass feasible for my itinerary? Does the surcharge for romance car for both days or just one day? For hakone, as I'm travelling on my own, difficult to get a budget place to stay and I'm good with 2hrs per way to explore.

Should I take the scenic train or Shinkasen to Kagoshima? Is it really worth the time? Cost comes up to be similar. I'm thinking to take city bus tour of kagoshima guided or non guided.

JR pass for kyushu worth for my itinerary? Just to double check, JR pass include Shinkasen? As I use it a lot if I'm not wrong.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:02 pm

You're asking a lot of questions for one post, but here goes:

The Hakone Free Pass is good because it saves you the trouble of buying separate tickets for each part of the standard circuit. I don't remember if there's a discount.

The national JR Passes include the Shinkansen, but not the Nozomi or its local equivalents (I forget all their names). The JR Kyushu Pass does NOT include the Shinkansen (as I discovered by Googling).

You're going to backtrack to the Nagoya area to visit Meiji Mura from Osaka-Kyoto-Nara before going to Hiroshima? It would make a better stopover between Kyushu and Tokyo, and you would spend fewer hours on the train each day.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ksandness
The national JR Passes include the Shinkansen, but not the Nozomi or its local equivalents (I forget all their names). The JR Kyushu Pass does NOT include the Shinkansen (as I discovered by Googling).
Yeah, OP would probably best off getting a http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html that's good for the whole country, not just Kyushu. That page mentions which types of Shinkansen it's valid and not valid on.

JR Kyushu Rail Pass is only valid in Kyushu: http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/railpass/railpass.jsp, bottom of http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html and http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_05.html. OP's trip takes them all over Japan and isn't within just Kyushu.

Since the OP's going to be in Nagasaki, perhaps consider visiting Battleship Island (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4414.html)? I've never been there yet nor the city, but have a tour reserved. Will be there end of this month. You'll almost certainly need to make reservations.

I'm not clear if transit time is properly accounted for (e.g. day 20 and 21). Per Google Maps, Tenjin station (in Fukuoka) to Nakano station is about 6 hours on Nozomi (which is NOT valid with Japan Rail Pass). OP will have to take a slower Shinkansen w/more stops (e.g. Hikari). I don't know the Hikari schedules, but I'd add maybe 30 mins to an hour extra due to the slightly slower trains and more stops.

(Without the rail pass) Price for the tickets including Nozomi between those 2 points is 23,150 yen. A national Japan Rail Pass would cover the trip (as long it's on JR trains) except it will not cover Nozomi trains.

Shinkansen's not 24 hours. In Tokyo, subways and trains stop running between midnight and 1 am. Can't speak to all other cities.

When I last was in Japan using Shinkansen, there were these 3 types: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018_tokaido.html. Now it seems like on some other line there's also Mizuho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuho_%28train%29, which the national Japan Rail Pass isn't valid for. Per http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/purchase.html

"(The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen. Please use “HIKARI,” “SAKURA,” “KODAMA,” and “TSUBAME” trains.)"

Since the OP's going to various towers in Tokyo, http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3057.html might help. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3011_tocho.html is free. I've only been up top during the day.

If you like electronics and/or cameras, you MUST visit the Akihabara branch of Yodobashi Camera. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3003.html may help. Visit that store first. You'll find that once you've been to a few smaller electronics stores after that, they're all very similar.

Hakone Ropeway might be closed: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html and http://www.hakoneropeway.co.jp/foreign/en/.

If the OP likes cars and/or car factories, Mazda does a tour in Hiroshima. Toyota has one in Toyota City, near Nagoya. I've been on both. You'll need to reserve and may need to check on what days they do English tours.

Since a premium outlet was mentioned, maybe visit some of the nice department stores in Ginza? If in Ginza and the OP likes electronics, also visit the Sony Building (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ure_Kanto.html).

OP might like Odaiba (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html). I've over the Rainbow Bridge (via the train) and to Venus Fort, Toyota Mega Web and (not worth going to, IMHO) Panasonic Center. Ferris wheel looks nice at night.

A half-Japanese coworker recommended http://www.raumen.co.jp/english/ in Yokohama. I plan to visit.

edit: Re: transit time example, I'm looking at http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info.../eastbound.pdf. If one were to start at Hakata station (in Fukuoka) on H 440 (Hikari), at 600 (6 am), you'd arrive at 829 (8:29 am) at Okayama. Looks like you need to then change trains. Next Hikari (H 442) is at 902 (9:02 am) which ends at Shin-Osaka at 1014 (10:14 am). If you got on the next Hikari (H 516), at 1016 (10:16 am), you'd arrive at 1310 (1:10 pm).

H 442 from Hakata at 616 (6:16 am) looks easier as it goes to Shin-Osaka w/o (?) changes. You then need to get on another Hikari to get to Tokyo (e.g. H 516). So, it looks like start 6:16 am from Hakata station, arrive @ Tokyo station at 1:10 pm.

Hopefully I read this right.

If you were (hypothetically) to drive from Hakata station to Tokyo station, Google Maps says it's 1,094 km (~680 miles) and would take 12 hours w/o traffic.

Per Google Maps, Tokyo Station -> Nakano Station is another 20 mins on the JR Chuo line.

Last edited by cwerdna; Oct 8, 2015 at 2:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.