Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Absolutely. For Tokyo and Kyoto, you will get by just fine with no Japanese at all. My assumption was that the OP wanted to try out the Japanese they have learned.
Agreed, your advice is perfect. I just couldn't tell if the OP was nervous or wanting to practice.

In Kyoto, there was a bellhop in my hotel who mainly spoke French, with a little Japanese! So really anyone can get along just fine there.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Agreed, your advice is perfect. I just couldn't tell if the OP was nervous or wanting to practice.
A little of both, really. I have heard mixed messages regarding how easy it is to get around in Japan without speaking the language, so there is a bit of nervousness there. Also, I was required to take 10 credit hours worth of a foreign language - I picked Japanese - in college, and it would be nice to get some use out of it.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tkeppers
A little of both, really. I have heard mixed messages regarding how easy it is to get around in Japan without speaking the language, so there is a bit of nervousness there. Also, I was required to take 10 credit hours worth of a foreign language - I picked Japanese - in college, and it would be nice to get some use out of it.
My first time in Japan, I would say I arrived with a healthy mix of excitement and anxiety, as it was my first time ever in Asia. And I still consider myself a rookie years later. But what I will say is that my first time I found Japan to be a wonderful country, and very welcoming, at least from the perspective of an American.

If you are polite and respectful, you will be welcomed by the people there, regardless of what language you speak. So my advice would be try your Japanese there when you're comfortable, don't worry about it.

As far as getting around...I can tell you that I had learned just a few words before my first trip and had absolutely no trouble getting around (although I found Tokyo much easier than other places). Restaurants were the most intimidating for me, but I managed fine.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:34 am

A little of both, really. I have heard mixed messages regarding how easy it is to get around in Japan without speaking the language, so there is a bit of nervousness there.
The tourist areas of Tokyo and Kyoto are easy with no Japanese ability at all. All the signs are in dual languages and there's always going to be someone who speaks basic English.

Outside of the tourist areas things get a little more difficult. Signs are often only Japanese, it's tough to find an English speaker to help you and even Google becomes a pain because it only knows the Japanese (kanji) names for things as well. Often in these cases you can search for something in English, find a Wikipedia page or something for it, copy out the kanji and then search for that on Google Maps. (Relatedly, definitely make sure you've somehow got a working cell phone while you're there. I always rent a pocket wifi.)

You will be fine with your itinerary, though. The only thing a person could really have much trouble with beyond a little inconvenience is if you go out to the countryside by some infrequent mode of transportation that tourists rarely use and get off at a random unmanned stop. *Then* you can get stuck and have a hard time getting back. But that's a pretty uncommon situation unless you're really trying to do something off the beaten path.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA, NW
This story may ease your mind:In 2000, I visited the Koya-san monasteries. which are remote by Japanese standards. At dinner, "my" monastery put me in a room with the only other foreign guest, a 24-year-old backpacker who spoke no Japanese and had somehow made his way to Koya-san on his third day in the country.

Every Japanese person under the age of 70 or so has taken some English in school. This does not mean that they remember it or can understand spoken English. For a couple of generations, English classes in Japanese high schools were run by teachers who themselves had learned English strictly as a written language and would have been hard pressed to talk to a native speaker.

However, if you need some interpretation, try a teen-ager. The current school system requires English in grades seven through twelve, so their knowledge is more recent. The JET program, in which recent university graduates from English-speaking countries work as teaching assistants in high schools, has improved younger people's ability to understand spoken English somewhat.

Japanese high schoolers tend to travel in groups, either walking to school or taking the train, and they are identifiable by their uniforms, so if the first one you ask is too shy or too unskilled, there is probably someone in the group who can handle your question.

If you engage a Japanese person in English, start by saying "Excuse me..." and then pause to give the person time to "change channels" to English.

Since I do speak Japanese, I have run into the opposite problem. The Japanese person looks at my face and thinks, "Oh no, now I have to recall my high school English!" So I defuse that situation by saying, Sumimasén ga..."Excuse me, but..." and then pausing for a beat or two before continuing. This gives the person the chance to process the fact that I'm speaking Japanese and not some weird variety of English.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wow - I would not choose either of those hotels (we were really unimpressed with the Westin Kyoto) but I guess you gotta use points when you can.

Freetokyoguides are awesome - took us all over town to see all the major sites. Also I would not rush to leave the Tokyo area, as a day trip to Kamikura was one of the highlights of our trip. Also since you are hikers you would probably enjoy the Hakone area which has some great hiking and views of Mt. Fuji.

For Kyoto I would highly recommend a paid guide - we loved Mayuri from [email protected] The rate was quite reasonable and they will help you plan a customized itinerary. Ours included Arashiyama district including Tenryuji temple, Bamboo forest and Otagi Nenbutsu-ji and Nijo Castle. This worked well because some of these places would have been difficult to reach on public transit without a guide - and then you can easily find some of the more central places on your own. We also visited a sake brewery in a suburb just outside Kyoto - an enjoyable little excursion.

I would also recommend (as others) that you prebook your room for early am arrival instead of walking around in a daze. Maybe even an airport hotel so you can get off the plane and crash. Better to sleep in for a few hours, then head out in the afternoon and enjoy Tokyo at night.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:21 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP: Others have mentioned being in need of a bed on arrival but I question that if you are flying in Business or First class and are able to sleep on planes.

Where are you flying in from and in which cabin?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
OP: Others have mentioned being in need of a bed on arrival but I question that if you are flying in Business or First class and are able to sleep on planes.

Where are you flying in from and in which cabin?
Flying JAL business class from SFO-HND (with OKC-LAX-SFO domestic flights on AA beforehand). It will be my first time on JAL, but I've heard their J product is quite comfortable. My track record for sleeping on flights is not great, but maybe some melatonin will do the trick. Husband will have no trouble; he could sleep peacefully in the middle of a war zone .
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Odaiba has some neat stuff on it. A big Toyota museum/showroom and an onsen.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM
CEATEC is actually really cool. I go every year as a journalist, but it's cock-full of amazing exhibits and consumer electronics / technology if that's what you're into. Probably the best show of its type in the world.

It's also nearby Disney if you plan on hitting that.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Try as many Kit-Kat flavors as possible.
The place to go for a wide variety of Kit-Kat is Shokoku Gotochi Plaza in the basement of Tokyo Station (First Avenue or Ichibangai). It's S1 on this map next to Tokyo Ramen Street.

* Is it common to have aikido demonstrations in Japan (I'm guessing no). One of my hobbies here in the U.S. is aikido, and I would love to watch a demonstration in Japan and compare it to what I learn at my dojo here.
I'm not sure about demonstrations but a Google search has found this website. http://kyoto-aikido.com/information.html
It looks like visitors can join a class for 2500 yen and they are likely to understand English.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The place to go for a wide variety of Kit-Kat is Shokoku Gotochi Plaza in the basement of Tokyo Station (First Avenue or Ichibangai). It's S1 on this map next to Tokyo Ramen Street.
^ I used to buy all my flavored Kit Kats for friends back home at NRT but this store in Tokyo Station has a much better selection, plus it's across the hall from Rokurinsha.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txflyer77
^ I used to buy all my flavored Kit Kats for friends back home at NRT but this store in Tokyo Station has a much better selection, plus it's across the hall from Rokurinsha.
But they only have a very limited range of Kit-Kats during the summer months. This is the notice I saw in July.

Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
But they only have a very limited range of Kit-Kats during the summer months. This is the notice I saw in July.
That's too bad indeed. Any idea when they stop carrying the full selection each year? I'm not planning on being in Tokyo again till May, hopefully that's not too late.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:49 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

because the melts

Has anyone visited the Kit Kat "boutique" in Ikebukuro? What a letdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.