Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

BKK to NRT: best side of the aircraft for views of Mt Fuji?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I did run a search but couldn't find anything.

Flying "Royal Silk" on one of the new Thai A380s BKK to NRT and wondered if anyone knows the best side of the plane to be on for views, especially of Mt Fuji. Never been to Tokyo before and can't wait to the assault on the senses and hoping to start that from the air with the approach into the city!

I read somewhere a BA pilot recommended the right hand side but wanted to check with all you seasoned travellers.

Thanks for your help
Old May 18, 2015, 5:10 am

I think most of the time they pass by south of the Japanese mainland and then take a sharp turn north, followed by 180 degrees south.

So right hand side is good for the approach... anywhere left should work as well for a glimpse before the 180 turn and on the flight along the coast line.

e.g: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/fl...tg676/#646b05d
Old May 19, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by fassy
I think most of the time they pass by south of the Japanese mainland and then take a sharp turn north, followed by 180 degrees south.

So right hand side is good for the approach... anywhere left should work as well for a glimpse before the 180 turn and on the flight along the coast line.

e.g: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/fl...tg676/#646b05d
You are assuming there is the 180 degree turn. However, NRT 2 run ways it isn't certain that you would be landing on that run way.

Thus, I would be conservative and pick the left side.

A word of caution, fuji-san is shy you won't always see it.

Old May 19, 2015, 8:50 pm

best view is always from the OUTside, preferably on the nose
Old May 20, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by robyanhuz
I think most of the time they pass by south of the Japanese mainland and then take a sharp turn north
I agree with your view, but I think you misunderstood my point.

I was referencing the following (see underlined):

Originally Posted by fassy
Old May 20, 2015, 2:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unless winds aloft cause runway / pattern changes; that can certainly occur.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Let's see how this does here in the dedicated Japan destination forum, as it is off-topic for the info desk.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old May 26, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I fly this route often, and would recommend the right side of the aircraft when departing NRT, and the left side of the aircraft when arriving into NRT from SE Asia. The flight paths to/from SE Asia out of NRT seem to mostly go south of Fuji - at least for my 20 or so flights per year...

Took this pic on a clear day last year leaving Narita heading to BKK....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; May 26, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
I flew NGO-NRT last year (I know, only a fraction of the distance, but follows the same path the final few miles), and had amazing views of Fuji from 1A the entire way.

Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
You are almost definitely going to pass south of Fuji when coming into NRT, so sit on the left.

They generally route everything into NRT from the south and/or east because they don't want to interfere with traffic at Haneda or the US and Japanese airbases around Tokyo. Even when planes are landing southbound, they will have traffic from the west fly around the south and east sides of the airport (mostly over the ocean) in a giant counter-clockwise circle.

Ooh, here's a map I just found which shows all the possible routes you can take into and out of NRT:

Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Looking at the flight path of TG 640 (BKK-NRT) of past few days, the flight pretty much passes between Nii-jima (Nii Island) and Miyake-jima (Miyaka Island) before landing at NRT. More closer to Miyake-jima, which is pretty far from Mt. Fuji.

Yes, sit at left side of the aircraft. It has to be clear day to see Mt. Fuji, but my guess is that even if it is clear day Mt. Fuji will be far away and seen pretty small in distance.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Alright then, it would seem the consensus is to sit on the left, thank you all so much for your help, stunning photos and impressive level of detail.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Looking at the flight path of TG 640 (BKK-NRT) of past few days, the flight pretty much passes between Nii-jima (Nii Island) and Miyake-jima (Miyaka Island) before landing at NRT. More closer to Miyake-jima, which is pretty far from Mt. Fuji.

Yes, sit at left side of the aircraft. It has to be clear day to see Mt. Fuji, but my guess is that even if it is clear day Mt. Fuji will be far away and seen pretty small in distance.
I've just realised that you've taken the trouble to not only respond but to look up my flight number and review the flight path, this is above and beyond, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.