Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Do I tick "transit" or "tourism" if I have a multi-entry tourism visa when transiting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I tick "transit" or "tourism" if I have a multi-entry tourism visa when transiting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

Dear all.

I have a multi-year multi-entry Japan tourism visa, and I need to make a transit in NRT, staying for one night and take the next morning flight.

My question is, do I need to tick "transit" on the arrival card because that's what I'm doing, or do I need to tick "tourism" because that's the visa type I have?

Thanks in advance!

(My passport doesn't give me visa exemption in Japan)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I can't answer your question with 100% confidence, but here's an 80% answer: use "tourism" as the purpose of your visit. I have a US passport, and once entered Japan for the purpose of transit, as I had an overnight flight connection to another country. So, I checked "transit" on the form (or, actually wrote it as it was just a fill-in-the-blank question at the time, and not multiple choice). After determining my situation, they changed it to "Tourism", as "transit" landing permission apparently requires documentation from the airlines involved, and it was just easier for them to admit me as a tourist. I would guess that the same would be true in your case, since you have a visa that allows for tourism admission. I think the only time they use Transit landing permission is in cases where the traveler cannot be admitted as a tourist and has a bona-fide transit situation, which they must document. That's my unofficial, 80% confident answer.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
My advice - just choose tourism and fill out the departure card for the next day - and you should be fine...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Thanks to both of you! Your answers are so specific and accurate and genuine. They made my day, and I feel so warm looking at those very true replies.

Off the topic a little bit, since I'm working in China now, I go to forums in China a lot. If this post were in a Chinese forum, I'd received a lot of replies like "why do you go to Japan" and similar nonsense... You guys are the best!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Why do you go to Japan and similar nonsense?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Why do you go to Japan and similar nonsense?
All I was trying to describe is the kind of attitude that totally is not helping at all.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Also, used "tourism", and I'm in~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.