Using suica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using suica

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:44 am
formerly gohima

OP, IC cards are worth it. In Tokyo, you have the option of either PASMO or SUICA. For a visitor, there would be no difference, besides the issuer (PASMO is Tokyo Metro and SUICA is JR East). Both are valid across many railway companies and useful for vending machines and conbini purchases
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
When I jog to the gym, I don't like to bring change.
This alone makes it worth it. As a tourist, I find my pocket fills up with change at an annoying rate, and Suica helps keep this under control. Since it's a given I'll have one anyway for transport, it's a no-brainer to also use it for purchases where supported.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gohima
OP, IC cards are worth it. In Tokyo, you have the option of either PASMO or SUICA. For a visitor, there would be no difference, besides the issuer (PASMO is Tokyo Metro and SUICA is JR East). Both are valid across many railway companies and useful for vending machines and conbini purchases
Suica cards do have a cute penguin on them, if that sways you at all
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
And if the penguin doesn't swing it: SUICA means watermelon.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:16 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
ICOCA is way more clever a name. Leave it up to Kansai to come up with that one
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by KPT
ICOCA
Whenever I see that word my brain auto-corrects it to Iacocca...
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:33 pm

In Japan, how can you tell if a particular establishment accepts the Suica card? Is there a symbol by the register or do you just need to ask?

Also, does 7-11, Family Mart, and Lawson's take U.S. credit cards?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:44 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by prkzoom
In Japan, how can you tell if a particular establishment accepts the Suica card? Is there a symbol by the register or do you just need to ask?
Yes, you'll see the following mark on or near each register:

The reader itself will look something like this:

Though there are sometimes multiple terminals for the various kinds of IC payment systems, when you ask to use Suica, the correct terminal will light up.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Yes, you'll see the following mark on or near each register:

Though there are sometimes multiple terminals for the various kinds of IC payment systems, when you ask to use Suica, the correct terminal will light up.
Thanks for the helpful pictures!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:15 pm

If you have an Android phone with NFC capability, do check out this Suica reader app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...careader&hl=en
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by joejones
There are a few exceptions: Sendai, Hiroshima, Toyama, Kagoshima and Kumamoto. Suica works on JR in [some?/most?/all?] of these places but not on the private/municipal lines.
Regarding Hiroshima, PASPY and ICOCA are the only options for getting around town and on the airport bus, correct? I already have a PASMO card, but will need to buy an IC card upon arrival in Kyoto for my girlfriend, so wondering if I shouldn't pick an ICOCA up for myself as well to avoid the hassle of buying tickets for a short day trip.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Using ICOCA in Tokyo?

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I have the ICOCA IC Card which I bought from Osaka.

All IC cards in Japan have been integrated. Since you have SUICA, you can use it in Osaka as well or other parts of Japan.
Really? So if I get the Haruka/ICOCA combo for Kyoto/Osaka, I can keep the ICOCA and reload it in Tokyo? That would be very convenient!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:11 pm

You only need one IC card in Japan so yes you can use your Icoca in Tokyo, Sapporo, Hiroshima, indeed almost everywhere and now even on kyoto buses (at last)
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
You only need one IC card in Japan so yes you can use your Icoca in Tokyo, Sapporo, Hiroshima, indeed almost everywhere and now even on kyoto buses (at last)
But you can't use IC cards other than PASPY and ICOCA on non-JR transport in Hiroshima, correct?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:06 pm

Yes you are right: as I have only an ICOCA I was not aware of this non compatibility issue but on checking you are correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.