Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding Getting Lost in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kallio
Getting lost in Tokyo is part of the experience.
+7 (adjusted for the falling yen). I can't understand why a tourist would want to avoid getting lost in Tokyo.

Most of my favorite discoveries took place whilst "lost".
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:44 am

I went to Japan twice pre-smartphone (with guidebooks) and once renting an iPhone 4:

1) In Tokyo, I found people tend to help more when approached. Even if their English is poor, they will usually make some effort to help. Outside Tokyo (even in other big cities), people tend to be more proactively helpful if they can tell you are confused/lost. In more than one instance, I've had people walk me part or all the way to my destination, sometimes even going out of their way on mass transit to help! This happened to my parents last month as well, so it wasn't a fluke.

2) One thing that is cool about Google Maps Street View is that you can even "move" along many streets, click by click. So you not only see your destination, but you could potentially see your entire route. This sounds a bit crazy, but it was tremendously helpful in my last trip when I couldn't use my phone or carry a map for religious reasons and still knew exactly how to get to my destination from the hotel and what to look for on the way.

3) If you are anxious about getting lost, one thing that relaxes me in Tokyo (or any city with a well marked subway system) is that as long I can get to a station, I can find my way back to the hotel. Tokyo's is more extensive and confusing than most other systems, but if you know the subway line and station closest to your hotel, you can certainly ask at the station how to get back. This, combined with the aforementioned general safety and friendliness/helpfulness should ease your anxiety.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Apparently, it's just you and me, but I had so many offers of help it almost became annoying. Must look particularly clueless
I may have had an unsolicited offer once; have a vague recollection.

But it is still 3-1 Japanese asking a gaijin for directions.

I spent my first 5 weeks in 2011 (well I left for maybe 10 days) without a phone, which really sucked.

Also back then Google maps did not even recognize some places unless you typed in hiragana. Any variation of romaji did not work.

p.s. It's all very good if you have been going to Japan numerous times for 20 years, but it's pretty tough for a first time visitor without a phone.

Last edited by gnaget; Jan 8, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: FT
[QUOTE=BuildingMyBento;24122915]
Originally Posted by ksandness

On the flip side, I can't recall how the Roppongi Hilld/Mori Tower area looked before they were constructed, so I'll have to consult the web.
i have some photos from the lobby of the park hotel in 2007. after my trip there this past June, the one thing that struck me was how nice the road was going through the mori tower....it is a monster building.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
before the advent of readily available pocked wifi and rental of devices at the airport, i had the 2nd edition of this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...R240SYZD4692RR

I still keep it and mark it up with things i find on my trips to Japan.

Once you get the system, it works very very well. I never got lost once. I did have to get some help when you needed to find the exact building from an address or i ended up walking around a while to find it, but it was not too bad.

[BTW, if you want to arrange a volunteer guide for your trip in Tokyo, they can show you around for free. just contact one of the groups in Tokyo. Full list here.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/tr...teerGuides.php ]
If I had enough time, I would have made an offer to buy this atlas from you. I guess I'll have to go to B&N to look for another one.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pureboy
3) If you are anxious about getting lost, one thing that relaxes me in Tokyo (or any city with a well marked subway system) is that as long I can get to a station, I can find my way back to the hotel. Tokyo's is more extensive and confusing than most other systems, but if you know the subway line and station closest to your hotel, you can certainly ask at the station how to get back. This, combined with the aforementioned general safety and friendliness/helpfulness should ease your anxiety.
Good tip. Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
+7 (adjusted for the falling yen). I can't understand why a tourist would want to avoid getting lost in Tokyo.

Most of my favorite discoveries took place whilst "lost".
Normally, getting lost would not spook me too much, but I have limited time in Tokyo (4 nights), and a lot to cover, so efficiency is paramount.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
This idea that someone will approach you and help you with directions is nonsense -- at least in Tokyo. Like 0.1% of the population can string together an English sentence (after 6 years of schooling) even if they have more passive knowledge than they will admit.

The old school navigation is that each neighborhood has a map on a sign board and you used them to navigate. You also have them in train stations obviously. That's what I used when I visited in 2004, but if you go to a residential area they will not have any Romaji. At least in my neighborhood they look neglected relics with even some graffiti that was not cleaned up.

Actually, three times over three years I was approached by people in Japanese who were look for directions. I actually managed to guide them every time.

If the OP is American then join the 21st century, get a basic Android smart phone (maybe a Nexus 5) and get a $50 a month T-Mobile account that gives you unlimited global data. It will be a godsend in Tokyo and double your enjoyment.

If you rent a smart phone it will probably cost you $15-$20 a day in Japan.

Another thing, which is important for driving, and the Navi will tell you to turn there, are intersection names. At major intersections, invariably traffic lights, there is a name identifying the intersection, which is often the neighborhood. Google maps shows them but they are not in romaji. Google maps for Japan has come a long way since 2011 with a lot more romaji but not yet for the intersections. The intersections themselves are marked in romaji. The signs are rectangular, white, with blue lettering.
I think renting a Smartphone is the best idea (if I don't manage to get a hold of an atlas). Where at Haneda airport can I do this, and does the store staff generally speak English?
I don't speak a word of Japanese, so I was counting on zero interaction with people in Tokyo (aside from English speaking hotel staff).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
I bet you can buy it in Japan, along with several other maps and atlases. Go to the Kinokuniya store near Shinjuku Station. Exit via the New South Exit and follow the instructions for getting to Takashimaya Times Square and Tokyu Hands. Kinokuniya is the last store in the row, which overlooks several parallel railroad tracks.

This link contains a map. Kinokuniya has a whole floor of books in languages other than Japanese, mostly English, and an extensive selection of travel guidebooks.

http://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/c/store/.../shopinfo.html
I would prefer to have this atlas in my hand on arrival. I may actually get lost on the way to purchasing it!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by joer1212
If I had enough time, I would have made an offer to buy this atlas from you. I guess I'll have to go to B&N to look for another one.
PM me and I will courier it to you....[you just need to return it back to me]

In fact, I will walk home from my office and get it now and then I can drop it in the courier for today's drop if you can get me the address.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by joer1212
I think renting a Smartphone is the best idea (if I don't manage to get a hold of an atlas). Where at Haneda airport can I do this, and does the store staff generally speak English?
I don't speak a word of Japanese, so I was counting on zero interaction with people in Tokyo (aside from English speaking hotel staff).
http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/faq.html
A Yes. You can pick your rental item up at the Post Office or at the designated counter in the airport (NARITA, HANEDA, KANSAI, CHUBU,CHITOSE and FUKUOKA).
Most tourist-friendly competing phone rental services have this option, as well. If you plan to use apps besides maps, make sure you are familiar with how iPhone or Android phones work before you go.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:34 pm

i have dealt with Global Advanced 2 times. they will either have the phone for pick up at the post office or they can deliver to your hotel and then when you leave, as i recall, you put it in a pre-paid envelope to return to them. this was for a WIFI device.

either way, they are a reputable company to use and very good.

REMEMBER...drop the phone into the main BEFORE security at the airport.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I just looked at the rates for a portable wifi. If I understand correctly I can rent on for about 80 dollars for 7 days? If that is the case this would be great. Is it possible to use Skype on this?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by steve4031
I just looked at the rates for a portable wifi. If I understand correctly I can rent on for about 80 dollars for 7 days? If that is the case this would be great. Is it possible to use Skype on this?
Yes. I have streamed us Netflix in Japan with a vpn so Skype is easy.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Actually, the hardest part of navigating Tokyo is going to be when I exit a metro station, and there is no point of reference to know where I am because the streets have no name.
Usually, when I'm in a strange city and exit a metro station, I am very disoriented. So, the first thing I do is look at the street sign and find it on my map. After I identify the street on the map, the rest is easy.
Without the ability to do this, I will be basically castrated. I will be like a clueless wanderer in the desert. 'Landmarks', 'subway stations', etc are no substitute for proper street signage. I understand that this goes back centuries, to confuse enemies, but in 2015, you would think the Japanese would have remedied this by now.

Last edited by joer1212; Jan 10, 2015 at 12:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.