Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gokickrocks
Same here. Hopefully I can find one while in Japan towards the end of the month.
Sorry guys, it is B I G (not BIC, as there is no BIC Camera in Ginza), link is here:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/%EF%BD%82%E...A4%AE%E5%8C%BA

If you pull up Ginza on Google Maps and search for liquor stores, it should show up. It is right around the corner from Shinanoya food mentioned on this forum.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
BIC Camera or did you mean what you typed? I don't recall seeing a reference to B I G and I follow this thread pretty religiously.

Hoping to snag a bottle of 21 one day for a decent price
Big liquors (not Bic) is in the Ginza, about 4 minutes walk from Shinanoya and Liquor Express.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Postal007
Stopped by B I G in Ginza and saw only Hibiki 21. Bought myself a bottle, there are only one or two left. 23,500 yen after tax. Thanks for the heads up from the forum - made sure I stopped by on my trip through Tokyo.
Stopped by again at BIG Liquors and still saw at least one bottle of Hibiki 21 on the shelf (not sure if there are others in the back).

Funny thing is they had a sign where the Japanese whisky was saying they do not carry Yamazaki.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Postal007
Stopped by again at BIG Liquors and still saw at least one bottle of Hibiki 21 on the shelf (not sure if there are others in the back).

Funny thing is they had a sign where the Japanese whisky was saying they do not carry Yamazaki.
That's where I got my 21 too. Great store, friendly owner and reasonable prices. I was so exited to find the 21 I forgot to check the rest of the selection.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Delta
Here's an article touting the quality of Japanese whisky and its development over the years.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...138569173.html
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Saw a good variety all over Hong Kong, even at HKG Duty Free. Prices varied; for example, Hakushu 18 was overpriced (going for around $400 US at one shop). They had the special duty free bottle for the Hibiki Master's Select at the airport for around $70 US (not bad at all), but of course, due to the stupid liquid rules at HKG for flights going to the US, I couldn't buy a bottle.

I didn't pay close attention to the prices of other stuff, but that same Duty Free shop had all the standard NAS stuff, plus several Mars whiskys (again, NAS), and even a couple of Ichiro's. Still annoyed I couldn't buy any...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by exerda
Saw a good variety all over Hong Kong, even at HKG Duty Free. Prices varied; for example, Hakushu 18 was overpriced (going for around $400 US at one shop). They had the special duty free bottle for the Hibiki Master's Select at the airport for around $70 US (not bad at all), but of course, due to the stupid liquid rules at HKG for flights going to the US, I couldn't buy a bottle.

I didn't pay close attention to the prices of other stuff, but that same Duty Free shop had all the standard NAS stuff, plus several Mars whiskys (again, NAS), and even a couple of Ichiro's. Still annoyed I couldn't buy any...
Don't worry. Everything other than the Hibiki Master's Select is absurdly priced.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
Don't worry. Everything other than the Hibiki Master's Select is absurdly priced.
Was there 6 weeks ago. Took me about 2 minutes to realize I would not be buying any J Whiskey at those prices...the whole store is overpriced IMHO
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:35 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Spending three weeks in Japan, and on day 3 can report that availability of whiskey with age statements is much better than during my three visits in 2016. To be sure, most of these are absurdly priced, but there are some decent deals to be had. Here's what I saw in the three stores I wandered into in Tokyo and Kyoto:

- Hibiki 17 -- 12k-14.8k
- Hibiki 21 -- 22k-37.8k
- Hibiki 30 -- 298k
- Yamazaki 12 -- 8.9k
- Yamazaki 18 -- 36k-45.8k
- Yamazaki 25 -- 328k
- Nikka 17 -- 17k-22k
- Nikka 21 -- 22k
- Nikka 25 -- 99k
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Anything that still flies F
Originally Posted by jpdx
Spending three weeks in Japan, and on day 3 can report that availability of whiskey with age statements is much better than during my three visits in 2016. To be sure, most of these are absurdly priced, but there are some decent deals to be had. Here's what I saw in the three stores I wandered into in Tokyo and Kyoto:

- Hibiki 17 -- 12k-14.8k
- Hibiki 21 -- 22k-37.8k
- Hibiki 30 -- 298k
- Yamazaki 12 -- 8.9k
- Yamazaki 25 -- 328k
- Nikka 17 -- 17k-22k
- Nikka 21 -- 22k
- Nikka 25 -- 99k

Can you give a little feedback what stores these were at? Also for the people saying the Ginza BIC Camera place, is that Yurakucho? Closest one I found in Ginza.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
Can you give a little feedback what stores these were at? Also for the people saying the Ginza BIC Camera place, is that Yurakucho? Closest one I found in Ginza.
list of stores

http://www.biccamera.co.jp/language/...t/english.html

but it was already clarified that this was NOT a BIC store referred to below but BIG.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: Anything that still flies F
Originally Posted by mkjr
list of stores

http://www.biccamera.co.jp/language/...t/english.html

but it was already clarified that this was NOT a BIC store referred to below but BIG.
Thanks, misread the previous posts
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer88
Best Tokyo prices were at the Don Quijote in Shirokanedai. The best selection (with silly pricing) was at Liquor Mountain in Kyoto. I've since stopped by their outlets in Osaka and Nagasaki, and they're all well stocked. Can't speak about the Tokyo one, but it might be worth a visit.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx

- Hibiki 17 -- 12k-14.8k
- Hibiki 21 -- 22k-37.8k
- Hibiki 30 -- 298k
- Yamazaki 12 -- 8.9k
- Yamazaki 25 -- 328k
- Nikka 17 -- 17k-22k
- Nikka 21 -- 22k
- Nikka 25 -- 99k
Could you tell me which store you say Hibiki 21 for 22K?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:06 pm

I'm heading to Osaka and plan to visit the Suntory distillery during my stay. I'd like to get a gift for someone who is getting married and really likes Yamazaki. Does the distillery carry anything that can't be found at a retail store or duty free (and preferably something that can't be found in the US)? All else being the same, is there any reason to buy at the distillery instead of duty free or retail?

Would there be any issue with bringing a bottle (or 3) with me while I TWOV in China?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.