Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for something different in Japan

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
Typical nonsense from Pickles. I think the two top places to live in metro Tokyo are Shoto and Yamate/The Bluff. I think Yokohama is generally a more livable place.
Oh please, it is kind of like buying an Aston Martin to drive around Urawa !! I love Inaka, I lived it for 16 years.....but the stuff outside the interesting inner ring is just deadly!
Old May 15, 2014, 7:00 pm
mjm
Original Member

Typical nonsense from Pickles. I think the two top places to live in metro Tokyo are Shoto and Yamate/The Bluff. I think Yokohama is generally a more livable place.
Pickles is full of furballs sometimes, particularly when he goes on about Mexican food. Really has no clue in that department.

But in this instance I believe he is spot on. Outside the Yamanote Line, heck outside the central 3 wards.

Shoto is nice albeit adjacent to an area that makes me feel like grandparent and potential mass strangler simultaneously, Shibuya. Not as bad as Shinjuku, but not far behind in interest. A home in Shoto would be fantastic so long as one was prepared to drive ir take a train anywhere.

"The Bluff" really? And spend weekends at YCAC? Um, no thanks. Yokohama is a nice place to fly over on the way to Korea or China. Live there, not on a bet.

I am partial to the Juban area, love Aoyama too. If I can walk to shopping, restaurants, and other cultural activities, and the office I am going to like that spot.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mjm
Shoto is nice albeit adjacent to an area that makes me feel like grandparent and potential mass strangler simultaneously, Shibuya. Not as bad as Shinjuku, but not far behind in interest. A home in Shoto would be fantastic so long as one was prepared to drive ir take a train anywhere.

Shoto = Boondocks
Old May 15, 2014, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

That Walled City in Kawasaki sounds great, hope I remember to check it out next time I'm there.

Another major attraction in Kawasaki:

One open 7 days a week
Old May 15, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Yamate? If I was working in Yokohama, I can see the logic. Otherwise, why bother? As for Shoto, not a bad place, if you like having Thierry Porte and a bunch of old-school harrumphy rich oyaji as your neighbors. Best part is how their drivers will idle their Toyota Crown Royal Blue Labels (or whatever those doily-covered cars are called) at all times of day and night for your breathing and listening pleasure.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Congrats on the kid starting school , but as you note too bad about the summer holidays. My friend used to take her kids to Okinawa during the summer, as Kyushu is so ridiculous ( she was bringing her kids to visit her folks in Fukuoka) ! I often find Bangkok cooler !

Thanks for the sympathy. At least I had a good long "honeymoon phase" with regards to Tokyo and milked it for all it was worth.
The looming spectre of August visits is already shading out plans to revisit places for which I have fond memories. Which brings me to...

My nomination for a place within jib san's parameters that is not undifferentiated crud is Jūjō. Had great misgivings when I was advised to go there for a haircut due to its proximity to Ickybukuro but was completely charmed by it. Given the opportunity, and given my own priorities and peculiarities, I'd come and live here in a heartbeat.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mjm
But I thought our esteemed colleague across the aisle gnatget did not take public transportation. You, know, there are other people using these conveyances. The problem with public transportation is that you have to deal with the public, and the public sometimes smells.

He can always drive everywhere in his Aston Martin. I'm sure he's careful making sure he doesn't run into too many Toyota Crown Royal Blue Labels parked around his double-wide driveway.

Maybe Shoto has 60 Hz electricity? That way his state-of-the-art Bangladeshi-made alarm clock doesn't run slow?
Old May 16, 2014, 2:25 am

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to live in Shoto unless you were 16 years old and spent all your time hanging out in Shibuya or had a deviant uncle living in Yoyogi Park that you needed to take care of.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I guess you are all a bunch of old farts who can't keep up with the pace of Shibuya.

It's the best of both worlds. A quiet residential area that is 800 meters from the premier nightspot and all your shopping needs both upscale and downscale. Furthermore, it offers the privacy and comfort of single family housing rather than having to live in apartment buildings.

I think it's a much better location than Hiroo, for example. Parts of Minato-ku are sterile concrete wasteland. Kind of like living in downtown in an American city like Dallas that shuts down at night. Thinking of Mita, Shibakoen, Kamiyacho.

The only decent spot over there is Azabu-juban. But you are stuck in an apartment and it doesn't quite compare.

As for Yamate that is a fantastic neighborhood adjacent to (above) Motomachi with all your shopping needs. And you could nearly walk downtown Yokohama, which is an extremely pleasant place. Chukagai is close by if you like that sort of thing. Really nice place for driving as well. Never found it congested. I realize that it is not optimal for wage slaves in Otemachi, but if you clip coupons and want a pleasant place to live then I think it is optimal.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you are all a bunch of old farts who can't keep up with the pace of Shibuya.
This is what you get when you mix old farts and Shibuya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R77I8cn1m8
Old May 16, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, NW
A friend once remarked about Yokohama: "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."

That sums up my attitude.
Old May 16, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Kamakura for the tourism, Yokohama for the livin'

[But both are outside my circle of crud]
Old May 16, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I nominate Sangenjaya, Kichijojii, Shibamata, and Disney Land ...
Just watched an NHK Workd (Tokyo Eye) presentation on the Setagaya line (which covers a 5km track Westwards of Sangenjaya).
This restaurant looked delightful:
http://eight-8.co.jp/cms/shops/tokyo...i/konamon.html

Couldn't get the Konamon website to work, here's an alternative:
http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g342611/lang/en/photo
Old May 16, 2014, 7:58 pm

It's the best of both worlds. A quiet residential area that is 800 meters from the premier nightspot and all your shopping needs both upscale and downscale. Furthermore, it offers the privacy and comfort of single family housing rather than having to live in apartment buildings.

I think it's a much better location than Hiroo, for example. Parts of Minato-ku are sterile concrete wasteland. Kind of like living in downtown in an American city like Dallas that shuts down at night. Thinking of Mita, Shibakoen, Kamiyacho.
You're on the far edge of Shibuya, and a lot farther from Aoyama, Ginza, Roppongi, Ebisu, Omote Sando, etc. If you spend all your time in Shibuya, it's fine, but it really puts you at an inconvenient distance from a lot of other places. Also to my way of thinking a nice apartment gives you better views, more privacy, better outdoor space, better lighting, etc. IMHO, it's really a stretch trying to get a house to work in an urban area.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:29 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Has anyone visited Gujo Hachiman in Gifu? That city is the main source of Japan's ubiquitous "fake food."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.