Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what kind of jacket - november in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

What type of jacket should I bring to Japan for November? I will be in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka area's primarily. I am debating between a winter coat vs a fall/spring coat. I don't want to overpack, but I also don't want to freeze. I'm from Canada (Toronto/Ontario area if it helps). I see the forecast for Tokyo to be between 10-20 degrees (celsius) over the next week.I also see Kyoto being forecast as around 10-20 degrees. I honestly don't know what to expect

Please share your opinion with me as I am leaving this friday!! I don't care if I have to freeze at YYZ and BOS if a winter coat will do me no good in Japan! I doubt this matters - but I will be backpacking and not taking a suitcase so the over/underpacking thing comes into play again.

I sincerely appreciate any tips!

Arigato Goziamas
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:51 pm

I'd go with something on the fall side of the spectrum instead of a bulky, overly warm winter coat.

Something like this is what I wear when I visit Japan in the spring/fall: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...390-1&pcc=1128. Warm enough for most conditions, easy to add a sweater underneath it, and small/light enough to stash in your backpack if you get a warm enough day.

I wore this kind of jacket when I was there two weeks ago and the weather was just a little warm for it then, so it should be a decent match for the timing of your visit. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Such can differ from person to person...

I can only say my experience. I used to live at Massachusetts and New York. When at Tokyo during November I wear what considered to be spring/fall jacket in Massachusetts. Even during January and February in Tokyo I wear spring/ fall jacket in Massachusetts. I usually use sweater to adjust to temperature. I only use Massachusetts winter jacket when I was at northern Tohoku or Hokkaido during January and February.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I agree. I'm a native Minnesotan, and even in January, I've been fine with just a simple cloth coat. You don't need down or anything else distinctly wintery in either Tokyo or Kyoto.

10°-20°C sounds about right for that time of year.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by jxjan
I'm from Canada (Toronto/Ontario area if it helps). I see the forecast for Tokyo to be between 10-20 degrees (celsius) over the next week.I also see Kyoto being forecast as around 10-20 degrees.
Toronto is usually much colder than Tokyo at that time of year. You'll be able to tolerate the "colder" temps in Tokyo pretty easily. Also, be prepared for wearing in layers.

When I was in Japan last month, Tokyo hit 31C while Sapporo was 9C. Yes, I had to bring clothes for both.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've been quite happy with a simple cotton blazer over a basic shirt. I'm in Kyoto right now and it's actually somewhat warm. I wouldn't want anything heavier.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
For those areas in November, I have only ever needed a light jacket which folds easily into my small backpack. I usually end up in (long) shirt sleeves most of the time and pull out the jacket if the temperature drops or it rains. The current forecast for Tokyo for your arrival is daytime temps in the mid-50s to low 60s F. Not really winter weather. Kyoto is about the same. Both expect some rain on some days.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+JAXX0047:1:JA
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Awesome! Thank you all very much for your thoughts and your help Light jacket it is.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
You and I would be fine in the Tokyo area in late November to early December wearing a jacket/light coat. You will see some Japanese wearing a huge coat, a hat, scarf and gloves! Not a criticism - just an accurate observation.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
You and I would be fine in the Tokyo area in late November to early December wearing a jacket/light coat. You will see some Japanese wearing a huge coat, a hat, scarf and gloves! Not a criticism - just an accurate observation.
This will be interesting! Thanks for your observation
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
~8-18°C till 2 days ago. Definitely fall clothing, with a small umbrella just in case. At night persistent wind may be bothersome.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
~8-18°C till 2 days ago. Definitely fall clothing, with a small umbrella just in case. At night persistent wind may be bothersome.
If it's disturbing your sleep, try this - http://phazyme.com/
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Greetings from Japan! I'm really glad that I took a spring jacket instead of a winter one. So far in Tokyo and Kyoto I walk around in a sweater for most of the day. Only when I got to yamadera did I need a jacket and hat as it had snow. Thanks again for the tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.