CNN “Parts Unknown”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN “Parts Unknown”

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
CNN “Parts Unknown”

This weekend’s CNN program “Parts Unknown” by Anthony Bourdain is about Tokyo.

For you do not know, Anthony Bourdain is an executive chef at Brasserie Les Halles at New York City. Anthony Bourdain had TV program at Travel Channel where he travel around the world and focus on local culinary topics. Now Anthony Bourdain has a program at CNN.

Food and restaurants are active topic here so thought many of you will find this weekend’s show interesting, could be positive or negative.

For me, this weekend is World Series with Cardinals vs. Red Sox, also on Sunday is Cowboys vs. Giants game. I may have to catch re-run some time later.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Wow!

There are actually people outside of Boston and St. Louis that care about this World Series!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I spent my youthful years in Massachusetts. I am Red Sox fan!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The World Series is going on now? I guess it is about that time of year.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 2:52 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Mods, it might be best if this was moved to the Dining Buzz forum.

Back OT, in Parts Unknown, it's basically Bourdain revisiting his friends/fellow chefs in those cities. Big whoop.

If it was Parts Unknown specifically referring to CNN, then it would be a show where they actually disseminated world news, but I digress...
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
If you're watching Cowboys Giants you're either looking into the future or just starting the season....

I think Bourdain is usually very positive. Watched the episode where he went to Sukibayashi Jiro. Was very nice. Bourdain is one lucky guy for having the job that he does.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I just watched this show as it was repeated in a "Parts Unknown" marathon last night and FWIW like Bourdain and his different look at Tokyo including areas I've not visited yet but hope to in a future visit such as Nakameguro. His written commentary is here if anyone wants to check it out.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...l#post21764710
Discussed at length at the link above…...
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:21 am

I rather enjoyed this episode. Nice to see the Park Hyatt make an appearance.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Food shows about Tokyo are a dime a dozen, although I like the Parts Unknown series. I watched the episode where he visits Korea town in Los Angeles and it encouraged me to try the salad bar at my local Setagaya Sizzler... Not bad for that once a year craving for American family style restaurants in Japan. Total time warp to the 80s and a good change from all those fancy Michelin places
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
Food shows about Tokyo are a dime a dozen, although I like the Parts Unknown series. I watched the episode where he visits Korea town in Los Angeles and it encouraged me to try the salad bar at my local Setagaya Sizzler... Not bad for that once a year craving for American family style restaurants in Japan. Total time warp to the 80s and a good change from all those fancy Michelin places
The Sizzler's have been disappearing from my area in California slowly but surely. But speaking of time warp, what is the deal with the Shakey's Pizza places in Japan? I think I saw one in Omotesando and one elsewhere in Tokyo - weird to see that old-fashioned logo in the midst of ultramodern stores and buildings!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by wwu123
...what is the deal with the Shakey's Pizza places in Japan? I think I saw one in Omotesando and one elsewhere in Tokyo - weird to see that old-fashioned logo in the midst of ultramodern stores and buildings!
When I lived in Japan in the late 80's, it was an expat hangout, for sure. The all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink-yes-beer-included was too good to pass up on a teacher's salary. Mind you, I did see the Shakey's Pizza manager throw out some expat-Brits who indulged more for the limitless beer than pizza.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Bourdain is always entertaining. Mainly because I am convinced he is drunk in at least half of the scenes in each episode. It was actually pitifully obvious when he _wasn't_ drunk in various countries in the Middle East where they don't have immediate access to booze.

That said, Anthony is constantly promoting his friends and colleagues from NYC. The sushi chef now relocated to Tokyo is a good example of this. While I haven't tried his sushi, I suspect as I've read in other threads, that it's more about Anthony and his relationship than anything else.

Love the show, but I don't expect to be consistently led to the most exceptional dining experiences in the world by him, in either of his two series.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwu123
... what is the deal with the Shakey's Pizza places in Japan?
First fast food restaurants in Japan opened on 1971 in Ginza which was McDonalds. First Shakey’s opened in Japan on 1973 at Akasaka. As McDonalds introduced hamburger to Japanese, Shakey’s introduced pizza to Japanese. As McDonalds become known as hamburger in Japan, Shakey’s has become known as pizza in Japan. Shakey’s was one of original restaurants to introduce fast food concept to Japan and Shakey’s can make a claim to be first to introduce pizza to mass Japanese. Also, all you can eat lunch concept was new to people in Tokyo back in ‘70s. Shakey’s has established its place in Tokyo’s fast food and pizza scene.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Smile A. Bourdain & Japan

I admit to enjoying all of Anthony Bourdain's television shows.
My understanding is that he left the Travel Channel for CNN because CNN had access to more countries on the planet.
I am impressed that Anthony was able to rid himself of his addiction to cocaine. (Watch the Panama episode of "No Reservations" for his admission, lest you think I'm slinging mud.)
But the main reason I respond here is because I found the Shakey's Pizza in downtown Yokohama with the really cheap all-you-can-eat lunch deal (¥1,050). For the price, I thought it was really worth it. It was not just pizza. The pizza toppings offered included both expected and unexpected ingredients, and the deal included the Calpis soda!

Last edited by pudgym29; Mar 17, 2014 at 9:26 pm Reason: de-colorized

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.