Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Japan from Canada or USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Flying to Japan from Canada or USA

Hi all,

My soon to be wife and I would like to go to Japan in March or April and fly First or Business class. Originally, I had considered ANA from Chicago to Tokyo, but the flights with them are tough to book via points.

Can anyone point out other well-regarded airlines (ie Singapore Air, etc) that fly from the US/Canada to Japan and allow for points to be used fairly easily?

I am going to use points, but can basically convert to any point system.

Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Singapore flies from Los Angeles to Tokyo.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Singapore is tough to get on points in the premium cabin. I use Star Alliance (UA points) and have been able to get ANA fairly regularly. Thai and Asiana often have availability but will require a connection in their home port. For direct flights to Japan, you might need to stay with a Japanese airline or a North American one. Air Canada might be easiest to get on points at this late date but they are not quite in ANA's class. Not bad, though, in the premium cabin.

If you have date choice, early April will be more crowded but the cherry blossoms will be out. March is too early for the cherry blossoms but plums will be in blossom and hotels will not be so crowded.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Oct 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
It's not glamorous but United seats to Tokyo are really easy to snag, especially the 747 SFO-NRT.

I'm on the flight next week, used a GPU. Only consolation of being on UA is that I'm at least in the upper deck.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:14 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
My soon to be wife and I would like to go to Japan in March or April and fly First or Business class. Originally, I had considered ANA from Chicago to Tokyo, but the flights with them are tough to book via points.

Can anyone point out other well-regarded airlines (ie Singapore Air, etc) that fly from the US/Canada to Japan and allow for points to be used fairly easily?

I am going to use points, but can basically convert to any point system.
Can you be more specific about which program you'll use to redeem an award? (i.e. Mileage Plus, Membership Rewards, etc.)

Incidentally, ORD-NRT on NH is not terribly difficult to redeem, especially on the new evening flight. You may get the older hard product, however.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

According to ANA, late March and early April are considered "low season" according to their reward redemption site. Is that incorrect?

As for program, I have points in Amex but they are easily transferred to other plans, etc so I have some flexibility there.

I have seen some flights on the ORD-NRT, but as you mention all on the older 777 config which doesn't sound as fun. That's why I'm looking at other options.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:32 am

I don't know where you are looking or how long you want to stay, but I was able to find several alternatives for 8 to 14 days stay, on ANA, UA and AC in first or business from ORD or YYZ to Narita using the United award search engine. For example, 4/1 on ANA 11 returning 4/10 on ANA 12, both using the 777-300ER, which has first class suites.

How are you searching?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

abmj-jr - that's for 2 passengers? I've tried searching using Aeroplan, UA and ANA.

What are you using to search?

Thank you.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
According to ANA, late March and early April are considered "low season" according to their reward redemption site. Is that incorrect?

Cherry blossoms for low mileage level. Not bad.
Seasonality applies only when one books NH flights with NH miles.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
abmj-jr - that's for 2 passengers? I've tried searching using Aeroplan, UA and ANA.

Thank you.
Can I suggest you read this thread from the AmEx forum.
You should figure out which airlines you can transfer MR points to and on the basis of that check out that airline(s) and see which has the best redemption opportunities.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:45 am
Original Poster

The majority of my points are sitting in my Amex account. That said, Amex allows me to transfer to pretty much any points system I need. I guess I run into an issue of waiting for the transfers to complete if I do find a booking.

For ANA, I'd have to transfer to Starwood and them to ANA. Could take 2-3 weeks from what I'm reading.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:57 am

As I posted, I used the UA search.

You are right, I was searching for one. Changing to 2 limits things but I still found lots if you are willing to travel one direction in UA International First, which is not bad. If not, I found OZ outbound on 4/5, returning on AC either 4/14 or 4/15, both in business. There are other choices if you are ok with connecting. For only non-stops, you would be limited to NH or UA outbound and UA return unless you care to fly the older NH 777-200 in first.

That is using UA miles and the UA search.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

abmj-jr - thank you. I've read UA Int First is hit or miss. Better off using NH new 77W C cabin.

I'll check out OZ, but didn't realize they had a direct flight out of the US. I'm willing to connect, but I'm in Canada - already have to make one connection to the US.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
For ANA, I'd have to transfer to Starwood and them to ANA. Could take 2-3 weeks from what I'm reading.
ANA program charges for fuel on award tickets.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

O Sora - Yes, but so does Aeroplan, etc. $650 for an F ticket on ANA is a no brainer for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.