Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Hokkaido [to ski] from China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

I'm an avid skier/snowboarder and I have always lived in the US, so I usually go to places over there.

Now I live in China and I already have been to the facilities here in China and they are mostly just terrible. Terrible facilities, lack of maintenance of snow, etc.

Since it's technically closer for me to fly to Japan than to northern China, after hearing about how great Hokkaido is, that's where I want to be.

But how do I get there?

I currently live in Shanghai.

I want to minimize the time I have to spend traveling and connecting flights. It's tedious connecting with skis/snowboards. Do I fly to Sapporo (or some other airport), or take the Shinkansen from somewhere else? Or perhaps are there buses or shuttles that are better?

Right now I'm looking at the new year timeframe.

Any recommendations on how to get there and where to go?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by alphaod
Any recommendations on how to get there and where to go?
Niseko seems to be very popular with Australians and other nationalities. Nearest major airport is CTS.
China Eastern flies non-stop from PVG to CTS.
JAL / ANA / KAL and others can take you from SHA or PVG via KIX, HND, NRT, ICN etc. to CTS and other airports in Hokkaido. You might enjoy an open jaw itinerary that lets you see other parts of Japan. Or not. YMMV.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Niseko is probably the best. As jib71 noted, there are a lot of good flight options.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG, United

Alphaod,

I live in Shanghai and have made the trip there two years in a row and I'm going again this year.

The last two years I have taken China eastern and they are your best bet as it is the only direct flight and their baggage policy allows for skis of any length. The challenge with many of the other connecting carriers is that they still list out a length limit (usually like 158cm) which is extremely short for skis (mine are 185). Though being limited to Eastern means that you are stuck with their price which is usually around $500 rt though I have caught it at $350.

Arriving in Sapporo (new chitose airport) the easiest way to niseko is by bus. Google whiteliner niseko and you'll find the whiteliner website. This is what I have taken the last two years and have been pleased. It leaves from the domestic terminal and takes 3 hours of really scenic roads to get there for the MU flight I would allow at least an hour and a half to gather your bags, customs, walk between terminals (not really far) and locate the bus desk. Even that time was a bit right for me last year.

For accommodation I have tried the green leaf niseko, the hilton, and the black diamond lodge.

Black diamond lodge is a hostel like ski lodge which is a great value and atmosphere with basic accommodations provided. Green leaf and hilton are both in the higher end of Niseko accommodations but offer reasonable prices (under $200) for some dates. I just booked the green leaf for a week in early feb at $172 a night.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Niseko is very commercial and mostly Australian these days. Probably a large Chinese customer base now too.

But there is a lot more skiing in Hokkaido if you like more natrual terrain and less crowded skiing. A place that I wanted to go to was Asahidake. There are other places like Kurodake, which also gives you the steepness that you normally find on Hokkaido. This can be described as slackcountry.

To get there you can also fly to Asahikawa from Haneda rather than going to Chitose. Asahikawa is closer to Furano also and the aforementioned places. The snow will also be better in central Hokkaido.

You can also ski on Honshu (like Hakuba) where the mountains are actually bigger but the only problem is that the conditions can be variable. It can switch from snow to rain. If you go there for 1-2 weeks then you will of course get some good skiing and try to target late Jan -early Feb to reduce rain chances. For someone in Tokyo then you go when the conditions are good, but that's not viable if you are coming from afar.

p.s. You are able pay a lot less than $200 a night if you avoid Niseko.

Last edited by gnaget; Oct 14, 2013 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Niseko is very commercial and mostly Australian these days. Probably a large Chinese customer base now too.

But there is a lot more skiing in Hokkaido if you like more natrual terrain and less crowded skiing. A place that I wanted to go to was Asahidake. There are other places like Kurodake, which also gives you the steepness that you normally find on Hokkaido. This can be described as slackcountry.

To get there you can also fly to Asahikawa from Haneda rather than going to Chitose. Asahikawa is closer to Furano also and the aforementioned places. The snow will also be better in central Hokkaido.

You can also ski on Honshu (like Hakuba) where the mountains are actually bigger but the only problem is that the conditions can be variable. It can switch from snow to rain. If you go there for 1-2 weeks then you will of course get some good skiing and try to target late Jan -early Feb to reduce rain chances. For someone in Tokyo then you go when the conditions are good, but that's not viable if you are coming from afar.

p.s. You are able pay a lot less than $200 a night if you avoid Niseko.
Gnaget, you planning much Japan skiing this coming winter?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. I am probably going to Niseko with a couple friends, but we're all coming from different places hence my concern.

I'm looking at the flight options and the bus tip.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Gnaget, you planning much Japan skiing this coming winter?
Unfortunately, I am leaving in February for good.

I am happy that I managed to ski Mt. Fuji in May even though it was a brutal 7-8 hours up and ~2 min down.

Alphaod, if you are a bunch of people, rent a large car, be flexible and drive around to check out different mountains. I guess the majority prefer the expensive resorts, but you will get much more of an adventure and also experience more Japanese culture at these other places.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:35 am

Unfortunately, I am leaving in February for good.
Bummer!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Looks like my plans are blowing up already.

And it looks like I'm going to be skiiing by myself again.

Currently looking at alternatives, since Niseiko seems pretty booked out at this point.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
Looks like my plans are blowing up already.

And it looks like I'm going to be skiiing by myself again.

Currently looking at alternatives, since Niseiko seems pretty booked out at this point.
It might be a stroke of good fortune. Rent a car and explore places like Asahidake and Kurodake.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

It might be a stroke of good fortune. Rent a car and explore places like Asahidake and Kurodake.
Thank you. I will definitely check out those options.

As for the New Year... I'm not sure how this happened, but I ended up booking a flight to ski in Tahoe with a few friends of mine who are in CA.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
+1 for Niseko. I'll be staying at the Hilton Niseko Village again in January, and it's convenient with a direct flight. I usually stay a couple of days in Sapporo too. I'm not that hard core (don't carry skis or boots even) and have a family so it's nice to enjoy the nice food in the city first before taking a bus to Niseko.

Also, agree that skiing in China used to suck. However I've heard good things about Changbaishan in China. Sheraton just opened 2 resorts there (Sheraton and Westin) and apparently they have ski-in / out and is pretty nice. A bit hard to get to though, as you'll need to stop over (not change planes though) in Changchun. You might want to look into that.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4; Nexus 7 Build/KRT16S) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Safari/537.36)

Some alternatives include club med near Sapporo or Tomamu
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:38 am
Original Poster

I'm amused at myself for realizing I want to go Hokkaido this year around the same time I wanted to do this last year.

Anyways I have already booked hotel and flights to CTS. I found this pretty cheap fare on JL. For some reason everything else was really expensive. The non-stop was only available in full fare Y and J was sold out.

Anyways I'm not making the same mistake I did last year hold out until the last minute. A couple of my friends are coming from the US and their season passes include some tickets to Niseko. I'm trying to to figure out how to buy tickets with my limited Japanese skills (AKA Google Translate).

I will have more trips planned out this year, probably in the off-peak times so I don't have to deal with paying for expensive weekend flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.