Tsukiji Closing End of 2013?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tsukiji Closing End of 2013?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Been to Tsukiji once, in the afternoon. Found the Hakodate fish market more impressive as for the freshness of the fish and seafood.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: FT
and the amount of people who can not follow the simplest rule during the auctions even now with the restrictions who can not turn off their bloody flashes is totally and beyond me.

i typically go without a camera and usually buy lots of various items from the outer markets. there is this place that sells all sorts of deep fried fish and other bits that are soo good...not to mention buying a big chunk of tuna...
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:09 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mosburger
Been to Tsukiji once, in the afternoon. Found the Hakodate fish market more impressive as for the freshness of the fish and seafood.
Never mind impressive, but I'm sure Hakodate ichiba employees are much less anxious at sight of foreigners too. Karato ichiba in Shimonoseki was pleasant too, because it was far more relaxed, AND offered good eats to boot.

Sure, the raw numbers of tourists doesn't quite rival those of Tsukiji, but last I checked, there are plenty of non-Japanese traveling throughout Tokyo on a daily basis, and the rest of the city doesn't have a fit.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Relocation of Tokyos iconic Tsukiji fish market delayed until 2015

http://japandailypress.com/relocatio...-2015-0320791/

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 9, 2013 at 1:49 am
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
As 5khours mentions, the city has an obligation to allow public access to the facility - which created a dilemma that they addressed with the current rules. I expect the new market will have more facilities to enable public access without getting in the way of traders, but I also expect that a new wholesale market will be a less "interesting" site for tourists in the same way that the modern wholesale markets in Paris and London are generally ignored. I think I've heard much the same story about the fish market in NYC ... but perhaps I'm confusing it with some other place.

FWIW, there are several other wholesale markets in Tokyo.
Actually Tsukiji is not the largest wholesale fish market in Kanto.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
Actually Tsukiji is not the largest wholesale fish market in Kanto.
That would be Narita?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
That would be Narita?
Indeed. A+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.