Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Tokyo in December

I may visit Tokyo again in December. I was there for the first time in the beginning of September for one week. When I planned my trip, I knew it would be humid until the end of october, but I had some unused paid vacation time I wanted to take advantage of before going back to work in late September.

In an earlier thread, I mentioned that I don't have a high tolerance for humidity . As such, I was able to explore roughly 65% of what I had planned to see and experience in Tokyo. I spent on average 5-6 hours a day outside exploring different areas of tokyo ( this included department stores and other buildings), but I don't think I was able to explore the city to the extent I wanted to because of the humidity. Typically, I like to explore the different neighborhoods of the city walking.

So my question is what is the weather like between December 15 and 31st? From what I have read here and elsewhere it is dry, clear with a few rainy or snowy days if any.

I know it will be very busy towards the end of the year.

I may accumulate enough miles for a free round trip. If I do, then it is highly likely I would want to travel for another visit, and perhaps include Kyoto as part of my itinerary.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, dry and clear. Chance of rain or snow possible.

Main "weather hazard" revolves around the lack of humidity and doesn't affect everybody to the same degree and it's to do with your tendency to get static electric shocks in very dry, urban areas.

If you are a candidate then think about the clothes you will be wearing and try and layer with natural fibers rather than artificial cloth fleeces and base layers. If the build up of static charge continues to be a problem there are inexpensive gadgets you can buy that will allow you to 'discharge' safely before you touch anything. Tokyu Hands has always had a stash of them.

The only issue with snow (which quickly forms a wet grey slush in Central Tokyo) is wearing suitable non slip, water resistant shoes that you can get in and out of easily. You will still be expected to remove your shoes at many destinations.

At the very end of your stay you will find many businesses and attractions will close for the holidays. If there is a crucial purchase you are aiming to get hold of, buy it sooner rather than later. From January 1st onwards (depends on when the particular shop opens) the "Lucky Bag" phenomenon comes into play. You may possibly see Lucky Bags on the 31st December. Most will be a tease, just for show, but you can enquire as some shops might be willing to part with theirs before the 1st, usually not though. "Lucky Bags" are a peculiar kind of sale where 10,000yen worth of goods might be placed in a bag sold for 2,000yen. With some very large stores, such as Muji, there might be a sample bag showing the contents, but generally, you won't know until after you buy the goods. Places like BIC Camera and Yodabashi Camera might theme their boxes so that you at least know if you are getting a camera or audio equipment etc... Depending on the store, they can be a great way of getting inexpensive souvenirs and gifts for those back home. Or not... It depends if you are lucky.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks LapLap. Which days at the end of December and the beginning of January will the main attractions and stores remain closed so I could blackout those days should I decide to travel to Tokyo and elsewhere?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will depend on where you are staying at the end of your holiday.

Where do you think you will be then?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
It will depend on where you are staying at the end of your holiday.

Where do you think you will be then?
Probably in Tokyo, close to Tokyo Station.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More advice relating to Tokyo at that time of the year here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...-new-year.html

Since Meiji Jingu is my husband's (and now my) "family temple" this is where we head for on the 31st, we also pay our respects at Mt Takao at this time. Over the past 10 years (from the perspective of the Shinjuku/Yoyogi area) there has been, on a year to year basis, significant changes surrounding the amount of companies, services and shops that are open for business on the 31st and 1st, 2nd and 3rd January. So much so that I would defer to others to get a current up to date view (IOW; don't take onboard advice from someone who was there once 6 or 7 years ago).

If you are looking to go out and party on the 31st this is obviously possible, when 'hiking' between Shinjuku, Shibuya, Azabu Juban and the surrounding areas early in the morning on the 1st January (eerily quiet then, very beautiful and great for taking photos) the "hot spots" can be easily identified by the trash partygoers leave in the streets. The amount of New Year bender garbage left in Shibuya or Roppongi is tame by European standards but still a jolt compared to the serene tidyness and order still prevalent in the majority of the city.

It might be worth asking specific questions relating to what you hope to do (or think you should avoid) doing at this time and on which dates. You still haven't confirmed that you will be leaving on the 31st December so there may be no point in answering questions about ATMs etc that relate to the 2nd of January.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IME, there's very little dislocation over the holidays. It used to be if you didn't buy food on the 31st, you're weren't going to eat until the 4th. I flew into Japan on a 744 on Jan 1 quite a few years ago and there were only 4 or 5 people on the plane.

Now days it's totally different, convenience stores, fast food, etc. never shut down, but a lot of restaurants will be closed especially nice ryotei, kaiseki, etc. In fact they tend to close down a around Dec. 26. Museums, etc. will mostly be closed from Jan 1 to Jan 3 as will a lot of retail stores. Department stores are closed just on Jan 1. Public transportation is all running.

End of December/ early January is actually a pretty nice time to be in Japan.
Retail stores and night life is hopping right up until the 31st.
Then it's a lot quieter for the first three days of January but it's fun to visit the shrines and see the shrine goers.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA, NW
The weather is chilly but dry (a cloth top coat will be sufficient), and you get to enjoy the oddities of the Japanese version of Christmas, such as the boxes of "Christmas cake" stacked outside bakeries on December 24 or Christmas Eve as the year's biggest date and bar hopping night. Usually much bigger than New Year's Eve.

However, Christmas Day is just another work day for civil servants and those whose companies haven't enter into year-end vacation mode by then.

Throughout December, the bars and restaurants will be the sites of every business and organization's bounenkai ("forget the year gathering").

Watch for private homes with pine-branch decorations at their doors, the so-called kadomatsu.

If you're leaving on December 31, you'll miss the real beginning of the Japanese New Year season. It's more of a family holiday than a public one, and in the past few decades, watching NHK's Kouhaku Utagassen ("Red and White Song Contest") has been a staple activity, although I understand its popularity has been declining. It features the top-selling singers in genres from teen pop to enka (the sociological equivalent of country-western, although it sounds quite different, basically Japanese folk style sung to Western instruments by singers wearing either kimono or Western evening clothes) in a hokey "contest" between the male and female singers.

It is timed to end at midnight, when the bells of the Buddhist temples chime 108 times (for the 108 sins that Buddhism has identified), and everyone gets up and goes to their nearest Shinto shrine to pray. The subsequent days may also feature trips to shrines or temples that are important to the individual family, as well as the giving of gifts. Children receive money (o-toshidama), but adults receive gifts only from people whom they have somehow benefited according to Japanese social customs.

You might have the great good fortune to find some "Engrish" Christmas cards on sale. One of my former students who was living in Japan once sent me a card that pictured a Victorian-style angel, eyes lifted toward heaven, where UFOs were circling. The large caption was "God save the Christmas," and underneath it read, "Oh my God." I will treasure it forever.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by ksandness

It is timed to end at midnight, when the bells of the Buddhist temples chime 108 times (for the 108 sins that Buddhism has identified), and everyone gets up and goes to their nearest Shinto shrine to pray.
It actually ends at 11:45, followed abruptly by the rather dark and brooding iku toshi kuru toshi broadcast (a buddhist-themed show). My first new year's eve was rather shocking when the red and white show and all its glitter ended just before 12 and then we got introspective. On the other hand, there is plenty of variety and silliness on the other channels. Another once a year experience is that the trains run all night long, at least here in Kansai, so I assume Tokyo as well. I love the new year holiday. Everyone is relaxed and Japan is peaceful. Though traffic can be awful, especially compared to the old days when everything used to shut down for 3 days.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:00 pm

I agree that December is a good time to visit Japan. Tokyo can get quite chilly, but it's still usually fairly mild (like Seattle winter without the rain and more sun). Most importantly, rain is rare that time of the year. I think weatherwise Nov-April is great time to visit Tokyo.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I agree that December is a good time to visit Japan. Tokyo can get quite chilly, but it's still usually fairly mild (like Seattle winter without the rain and more sun). Most importantly, rain is rare that time of the year. I think weatherwise Nov-April is great time to visit Tokyo.
I am from the NW. So I don't mind mild chilly weather with an occasional light rain or snow. As long as it is not humid like it was in early September when I visited I am game.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by ray1966
I am from the NW. So I don't mind mild chilly weather with an occasional light rain or snow. As long as it is not humid like it was in early September when I visited I am game.
Then you will be just fine!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
+1. Much better and well suited to your environment. Especially if you are one to sweat, the summer, through Sept and even into Oct can be difficult.

Later in the year offers a more balanced climate with far less humidity.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have said, sounds like a good time to go for you (you'll find it much easier/more pleasurable to cram in activities than in the summer months).

Only downside I've found (besides the sparks, husband has very dry skin) is the possibility of serious snow and ice in the mountainous areas close to the cities. One cold day on January 1st not so very long ago we passed hikers dressed in what seemed to be excessive winter gear as we climbed up Mt Takao (an area just an hour away from Shinjuku by the slow local train). As we reached the peak, snow descended in abundance and the descent - an easy enough walk which can usually be done even with an urban stroller - was covered in ice and snow and became treacherous.

It could be that there won't be any snow before 2014, but it does happen frequently enough to consider it. Personally, and just from experience rather than from official figures, my own winter plans for Tokyo assume a 33% chance of snow (50% if going in January, which is when I'll be there next).

In summary; if you have plans on going anywhere rustic towards the end off the year think about fitting these plans in earlier rather than later so that snow can't scupper them, and if you do go anywhere, pay attention to what the locals are wearing. Our thought was that the 'excessively prepared' hikers had been given new winter climbing gear as holiday gifts and wanted to try them out. We were very, very wrong. I still to this day do not know how we managed to get down without a broken bone.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ainternational
+1. Much better and well suited to your environment. Especially if you are one to sweat, the summer, through Sept and even into Oct can be difficult.

Later in the year offers a more balanced climate with far less humidity.
Interestingly, in Tokyo the locals are used to the humidity. I mean, I am sure it does make them feel uncomfortable, but I did not see anyone sweating. But then again, in the NW, we are used to the rain, and walking in the rain does not bother the locals. Some don't even get wet in the pouring rain! And, then there is Southern California where I lived for a long time. When it rains, people run for shelter, as if there is a volcanic eruption! I guess people adjust to each climate accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.