Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bored in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by robyng
Tokyo English Language International Meetup (picnic) - 25 planning to attend as of now:

http://www.meetup.com/esl-20/events/135041822/
Yes, I was also going to suggest looking on meetup.com for the Tokyo area and attend some events to meet other people with similar interests. Couchsurfing also has a Tokyo forum where you can try and meet other travelers and locals who like to meet visitors. There are often posts from other people in town looking for something to do.

Since you have so much time in the area, I would also suggest going to the seaside around Enoshima/Kamakura as a daytrip. Although like most places this would be much more fun if you're with someone else. Traveling alone is not for everyone, and it can be more interesting to be with other people even if it's just in a park or cafe instead of some specific tourist attraction.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:06 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler780
Tsujiki Fish Market early in the morning. You have to get there around 4 a.m. I personally have not done it, however, a co-worker of mine did, and showed me pictures and video. It looked like a great unique experience.

One other absolute must-do would be the Imperial Palace (day-time only). As far as night-time, maybe do a nice dinner (Towers Grill in the Ritz Carlton, or something else?)
As an FYI to the OP - the fish market auctions used to be open to anyone who showed up. Now - only a limited number of people are allowed in - at about 4 am IIRC. And people here have said that it's necessary to get on line at about 2-3 am to get in. Don't know if that's true (I went there when anyone could get in).

Also BTW - the market will be moving to a new location soon (IIRC - end of this year). Robyn
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As an FYI to the OP - the fish market auctions used to be open to anyone who showed up. Now - only a limited number of people are allowed in - at about 4 am IIRC. And people here have said that it's necessary to get on line at about 2-3 am to get in. Don't know if that's true (I went there when anyone could get in).
I heard from others that attended the 1st annual FT Japan Do in March that they showed up at Tsukiji around 4AM only to find all the spots for the tuna auction already assigned so yes, it would seem arriving earlier is the only way to increased your chances of gaining access. I thought about it for a long time before arriving in Tokyo but skipped it and walked around later when the market is more open to visitors and it was a nice 90 minute visit.

Also BTW - the market will be moving to a new location soon (IIRC - end of this year). Robyn
Nope, delayed until 2015 as noted here.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:37 pm
In memoriam

Thanks for the information tcook052. I found the auctions interesting - but the market itself was very interesting too. It's a good way to find out what's in season when one visits. Robyn
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: FT
Thanks for the information tcook052. I found the auctions interesting - but the market itself was very interesting too. It's a good way to find out what's in season when one visits. Robyn
agree. I also find it sad how over the last 8 years, lack of respect for rules has made it a place where you do not feel welcome since they assume you are just going to break the rules. I mean how hard is it to turn your fing flash off? I just go to buy large pieces of tuna now and cut it up in my hotel.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Those are so yesteryear...... How about a retro-snack in the Ginza ! There will be drinks, someone to chat to (might be in another language) and the chance to sing Enka !
Maid cafes are retro, eh? OK, how about taking in a transgendered maid cafe?

http://www.akiba4you.com/2011/06/20/...new-maid-cafe/
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:25 am

One other point to mention: Not a destination 'per se', would be to maybe watch 'Lost in Translation'. I watched it one week prior to leaving for Japan, and it really got me excited about going. I think sometimes, the purpose of movies, guidebooks, and even internet forums about a particular destination, besides informing you, is also to excite you. For me, it was kind of like playing a game of, 'I want to see the mural in Shibuya station, that was listed in Fodor's guidebook.' When you finally do see it, you understand the context and the story behind it. Or the 'Legend of Hachiko' dog statue. When I went with people from work, we talked about the story on the train, and then went looking for it at Shibuya station. When we found it, it was all exciting, and we were all taking pictures with it. So, I think that preparation helps a lot in making a trip more enjoyable.

It helps so that you have a better appreciation of what it is you're seeing. I liken it to doing the pre-read before a college lecture. When you just walk in cold (and we all have), it just seems like a bunch of random words etc. But, if you know what it's going to be about, you can have a better understanding of what the professor is talking about.

This is just what has worked for me. But, feel free to throw it out, if it doesn't work for you!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:14 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by mkjr
agree. I also find it sad how over the last 8 years, lack of respect for rules has made it a place where you do not feel welcome since they assume you are just going to break the rules. I mean how hard is it to turn your fing flash off? I just go to buy large pieces of tuna now and cut it up in my hotel.
When I was there 7 years ago - I didn't exactly feel welcome either. And it didn't have anything to do with breaking rules IMO. It's a working market - a huge one. Complete with lots of machinery - various kinds of vehicles here there and everywhere - lots of wet/slippery floors - etc. Very dangerous things. It's not an attraction in an amusement park.

And - despite all the signs warning tourists to be careful - I think they probably often got in the way of people who were just trying to do their jobs. I was actually surprised during my visit that tourists were allowed to wander around unattended in the working areas of the market. You'd never see that in the United States (too many liability issues).

I think the way things are set up now makes a lot more sense both from the POV of the workers who work there and the safety of the tourists. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.