Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bored in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:25 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ksandness
I've never seen V8 juice in Japan (that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, only that it's not conspicuous), but the Japanese go-to hot weather beverages are the canned soft drink called Pocari Sweat (like a slightly salty lemonade, available in convenience stores and vending machines all over) and mugicha (iced barley tea). Also look for shaved ice, which stores advertise with a blue and white banner with a big red kanji splashed across it. It comes in all sorts of flavors, but I like mizore (mee-zo-reh), which is a diluted sweet syrup...
On our first trip - we had good luck finding "exotic things" in department store food basements. Don't know about V8. But I've made a note to find some (or something similar) day of arrival or next in Tokyo. My husband - more than me - gets really "dwimmed" with high temps - suffers from fatigue - being light-headed - etc. - and V8 Juice is his "sovereign cure".

BTW - while I'm on the topic of "exotic things" - is Milk of Magnesia sold in Japan? Don't know that I'll need it. But buying it when I arrive is easier than taking it through airport security.

I really have a strong feeling that the OP's friend has heat issues. Don't we all traipsing around outside in a city that's over 90 degrees for 4 hours in the afternoon? Robyn
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: FT
buy some tickets for the giants swallows game next week at any kiosk. Look for some expats. Introduce yourself or buy the business guys next to you some beers. Baystars are also in town. See if there are any wine tastings on at some of the wine stores. Go hit some golf balls at the many driving ranges or go to a batting cage.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:08 pm

I suspect the OP does not enjoy exploring Tokyo by himself. Some like to travel and explore sites and places in groups or as couple while others enjoy exploring the city alone. As for the roommate; the combination of jet lag and hot and humid August Tokyo climate might explain why is not interested in accompanying the OP.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:26 pm
In memoriam

ray - I have couple of friends who have enjoyed traveling to Tokyo by themselves. But they are people who speak some Japanese. Traveling alone wouldn't work IMO for most people who don't speak any Japanese.

So my first goal would be to "revive" the OP's travel companion.

And the second would be to come up with some additional travel ideas.

Even though I like Tokyo - I think 2 weeks there on a trip is too much. No one has mentioned Kyoto (worthwhile destination IMO - although still very hot in August). BTW to OP - will you lose any money if you cancel your stay in your current hotel room say about 24 hours in advance? Robyn
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:43 pm

There is TONS to do in Tokyo. I was there in July for 3 weeks, and I never had a moment to spare. If you don't like bars etc., one suggestion I would highly recommend would be to take the JR Train over to Tokyo Disney Resort, home to two of the best theme parks in the world. Tokyo Disney Sea is amazing, and a one-day pass is around 6400 Yen, which is not bad at all. Also, Tokyo Disneyland has a lot to see.

A lot of it has to do with I think attitude and mindset. Also, I always purchase a Fodor's Guidebook (paper version) for any destination I will go to. It is really good at helping you to understand what to see, and what is worthwhile. In a way, it is your guidebook to the city. In fact, I even have one for my HOME city (Chicago).
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:49 pm

http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/

this link has good information.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler780
There is TONS to do in Tokyo. I was there in July for 3 weeks, and I never had a moment to spare. If you don't like bars etc., one suggestion I would highly recommend would be to take the JR Train over to Tokyo Disney Resort, home to two of the best theme parks in the world. Tokyo Disney Sea is amazing, and a one-day pass is around 6400 Yen, which is not bad at all. Also, Tokyo Disneyland has a lot to see.

A lot of it has to do with I think attitude and mindset. Also, I always purchase a Fodor's Guidebook (paper version) for any destination I will go to. It is really good at helping you to understand what to see, and what is worthwhile. In a way, it is your guidebook to the city. In fact, I even have one for my HOME city (Chicago).
disney is a great idea. Even if not into the same, just the idea of it is great
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW I very much enjoyed the Oedo Onsen Monogatari which is on Odaiba and not that far from Shinagawa. Yes, this one might be a little too "kitschy" and not like other onsen elsewhere but it's fairly inexpensive, is open practically 24/7 and a offers great way to relax. Some English is spoken by the attendants as well so that could be one way to soak away a few hours.

These ideas are of course only likely to help if OP takes that step and ventures out to experience all the city has to offer which I hope they do as I fully & completely enjoyed my first visit in March.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:56 pm

Take a walk through Ueno Park (museums there to see as well)
Take a walk through Yoyogi Park (nice and shady on a hot day) and visit the Meiji shrine
I know you said you don't like shopping but if you like music at all you should visit the huge Tower Records store in Shibuya, plenty of listening station to check out all kinds of music. You could also visit the Tokyu Hands store in the same neighborhood, plenty of everyday but interesting stuff to look at.
Go to Yokohama and walk around the Minato Mirai area.
I did all of the above a week ago yesterday. Tokyo is not boring. Ditch your friend and go exploring, be a little adventurous.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:22 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ksandness
I've never seen V8 juice in Japan (that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, only that it's not conspicuous), but the Japanese go-to hot weather beverages are the canned soft drink called Pocari Sweat (like a slightly salty lemonade, available in convenience stores and vending machines all over) and mugicha (iced barley tea).
I might have seen V8 at a Meidi-ya, or one of the more low-key depachika supermarkets, but a very good substitute (and not as salty either) would be one of Ito En's products (in Japanese) Ito En2 (in English).
1日分の野菜 "Ichinichibun no yasai" refers to a day's worth of vegetables, so that would be the closest equivalent to V8.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
ray - I have couple of friends who have enjoyed traveling to Tokyo by themselves. But they are people who speak some Japanese. Traveling alone wouldn't work IMO for most people who don't speak any Japanese.
Although I have been studying basic Japanese language over the last month or so, I will be traveling alone. Hopefully, it will work for me while I am there.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:34 am

Lot of good suggestions already. I agree with someone who said earlier that it's mostly about having the right mindset... with the right mindset, you'll be able to have a good time in cities that offer far less than Tokyo, let alone Tokyo. Of course, that's easier said than done. I also agree that it'd make the whole thing much easier if you're somehow able to get your friend out of his current mode.

Having said that, some ideas:
- Do a day-trip to Hakone and do onsen-hopping. Tons of great day onsens in Hakone Yumoto. Or you can head up to Yunessen (an onsen theme park) by bus from Hakone Yumoto). If you're in Japan for that long, you've gotta do onsen.
- I don't like shopping either in general, but I could spend a whole day at a place like Shinjuku's Takashimaya Time Square / Tokyu Hands mega-complex, or Kawasaki's La Zona complex (directly adjoined to the station).
- Odaiba and Yokohama's Minatomirai area are both really cool areas to hang out, with lots of food, shopping, giant ferris wheel. Food, shops and ferris wheel do not exactly inspire a lot of excitement in UK or US, but have an open mind for Japan and you'll realize it's a different experience. Minatomirai's ferris wheel runs till 9 or 10p, I believe. You can combine a visit to Minatomirai with a swing over to Yokohama Chinatown. Odaiba is also cool.
- I think Disney Sea (as someone mentioned above) is a great idea.
- How about Tokyo Sky Tree? I've never been, but it's near Asakusa and it sounds like a fun complex and I know it's open at night.
- Sunshine City in Ikebukuro... go to the aquarium, which is awesome with penguins and lots of animals, then go up to the observation deck, then do some shopping/eating and wrap it up with a trip to Gyoza Stadium.
- Go explore random neighborhoods - Ueno (Ameyokocho), Kichijoji (cool neighborhood north of station, plus Inokashira Park), Shimokitazawa.
- Tokyo Station is an attraction in and of itself. Restaurants, bento shops, ramen, anime character shops, so many cool things... and it stays busy into the night.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by closetasfan
a few random ideas
Odaiba - near Shinagawa. Lots of museums, malls, some nice nature walks too
Tokyo Disney Land/Sea
There is a huge aquarium near Shinagawa
go to Ueno and walk near the train tracks - Ameyoko
Yokohama for the amusement park, mall
Kamakura for history
Enoshima - little island, 1 hr from Shinagawa
imperial palace
kabuki
asakusa
go to minowa and take a train trip on the toden (trolley)
harajuku
shibuya
go to Ginza and walk around
akihabara
asakusa
daishimae near nishiarai
....Japan, like a lot of places, is rough without friends. hope you enjoy yourself.
You got pretty good option to make your trip more interesting.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:12 am

90210x, your experience sounds a lot like my initial trip to Tokyo: after three days, I was bored and lonely (the only english conversation I had during 6 days was on the train back to Narita because I was lost). I have since been back 3 times, with another trip coming in October.

The things that made the subsequent trips better: knowing the areas better, going with another person, and planning ahead. I understand not liking strip clubs/drinking (I don't care for them either), but give shopping another chance. I think a fun part of travel is to eat/shop like the locals do.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Lot of good suggestions already. I agree with someone who said earlier that it's mostly about having the right mindset... with the right mindset, you'll be able to have a good time in cities that offer far less than Tokyo, let alone Tokyo. Of course, that's easier said than done. I also agree that it'd make the whole thing much easier if you're somehow able to get your friend out of his current mode.
+1^

Hopefully your friend can go along with you--although the summer heat can make it a challenge. If your friend can't, take your camera and capture all the very, very distinct things that make Tokyo such an interesting place.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
OP: what had you planned to do for two weeks? What types of things would you do if in the US, in NYC or SF for two weeks?

Depending on your circumstances it may be too late to fix this, but my wife and I have learned that we don't really like being in any particular city more than 3-4 days. We've been to most of the major world cities and on some level they're all sort of all the same. I'm a dude and am not really into shopping, though I do like to see food markets and whatever local street market just to watch the people and the life. Since we live in Atlanta, we don't need to see the high end shopping in any given city as many of those retailers also exist at home.

What we have started to do is book a cultural experience when we travel. I've fallen in love with taking cooking classes whenever possible. It's a great way to understand the culture and its a great way to bond with other people, when if they don't speak your language.

I've also learned that its important to stop and smell the roses. I can't define what that may mean to you, but I "accidentally" went to Hakone and there's a sculpture museum that was real interesting and relaxing to walk around. I especially enjoyed the foot bath there where you sit and hot mineral water flows down a trough over your feet. It was one of my best days in Tokyo.

Finally, see if its possible to leave Tokyo.... Maybe you need a change of scenery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.