Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

3.5 Weeks in Japan -- Please Help with itinerary!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3.5 Weeks in Japan -- Please Help with itinerary!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you one and all!

I will look at revising our itinerary based on all of your input and feedback; it's been hugely helpful!

As for Robyn's recommendation above, what's the concensus: Japan in Spring or Autumn? Our travel schedule is entirely flexible. Weather is a consideration however and we'd like to avoid the rainy season.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
This is completely subjective. Japan, particularly Kyoto and other cherry-centric spots, in early April is magical but autumn with the spectacular fall colors is virtually as good with perhaps a bit less crowding.

Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA, NW
You can avoid the rainy season by not going June through mid July or in September, which is the main month for typhoons.

That's not to say that it will never rain...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone -- bringing this thread back to the top because we're in the booking stages now!

I have a quick question... if we fly directly into the Hokkaido prefecture and begin our travels in Otaru (continuing on by train into Tokyo, etc) how many nights should we stay in Otaru and should we visit or overnight in any nearby cities or villages before moving on to Tokyo? Are there any traditional Japanese style lodges in the mountainous or forest areas nearby that could be recommended? We're going to start our honeymoon at the Ginrinsou ryokan and were then planning on moving along to The Peninsula for about 5 nights before going onto Kyoto, etc. I would really appreciate some help for the Hokkaido region though.

Thanks so much!!

PS:

If already staying in Miyajima for 2 nights, is it necessary to stay in Hiroshima (the city) overnight as well to visit the Peace Memorial Museum & Park, The Cenotaph & Atomic Bomb Dome, Children's Peace Monument, Shukkei-en Garden, Hiroshima Castle, Hiroshima Museum of Art, Hijiyama Park, Chuo Koen/Central Park, etc?

Would it make more sense to just take the train into the city to do all of the above?

We also plan to visit Itsukushima Shinto Shrine/Aki-no-Miyajima, Oo Torii, Goju-no Tou, Miyajima Ropeway, Momijidani Park in Miyajima.

Lastly, in Miyajima I'm debating between Iwaso versus Sekitei. Could anyone offer opinions on either or suggestions for other more romantic hotels or ryokans nearby, either in Miyajima or Hiroshima?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I'd also drop Yamaguchi and Hokkaido (Sapporo) but add some days on Shikoku Island. It is accessible by deluxe train and has a bit more laid back vibe with some wonderful scenery. A night or two in Matsuyama, Kochi and perhaps Takamatsu or Tokushima would be a nice addition. The train ride through the mountain gorge down to Kochi on the Pacific is spectacular. The gateway city of Okayama on the mainland is also worth a visit, with a famous Japanese garden and very accessible medieval castle right across the river.
Where would you suggest that we stay on Shikoku Island?

Are there any nice or romantic hotels or ryokans with pretty vistas or surroundings?

Would you consider this a "must do"?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Here is our revised itinerary so far and just to note, we no longer have time restrictions placed on this honeymoon trip so we have the luxury of spending more time in each city:

Otaru, Hokkaido

• Ginrinsou Ryokan - Takasago Room - (1/2 Nights - ??)

* Visit -

Tokyo, Tokyo

• The Peninsula - Grand Deluxe Room / Deluxe Suite - (6 Nights)

* Visit - Tsukiji Fish Market, Ryōgoku Kokugikan/Sumo Hall, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, Meiji-jingū Shrine, Yoyogi Park, Mori Tower Observation Deck & Mori Museum, Ebisu, Lovenet Karaoke Bar, Karaoke-Kan, Trader Vic's, Tiki Tiki Shinjuku, Tokyo Disneyland, Shopping: Tailor Caid, VAN Jacket, J. Press, etc.

Hakone-machi, Kanagawa

• Gora Kadan Ryokan - Kadan Suite with Open-Air Rock Bath - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Hakone Gondola, Pola Museum of Art, Hakone / Kuzuryu Shrine Singu, Hakone-Ginyu Onsen, Yama No Chaya Onsen, Gora Hanaougi Onsen, etc.

Kyota, Kyota

• Hiiragiya Ryokan - Main Building Guest Room - (2 Nights)

• Hyatt Regency Kyoto - Executive King Suite - (3 Nights)

* Visit - Gion, Sannenzaka & Ninenzaka, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kinkaku-ji/Golden Pavilion, Ginkaku-ji/Silver Pavilion, Kiyomizu Temple, Sanjusangendo Mawaricho, Nanzen-ji Temple, Arashiyama and Togetsu-kyo, Katsura Imperial Villa, Shugakuin Imperial Villa, Nijō-jō Castle, Tofukuji Temple, Hosenin, Ryoanji Temple, Eikan-do, Sanzen-in Temple, Hiei-san and Enryaku-ji Temple, Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine, Kodai-ji Temple, Shimogamo Jinja, Gion Kaburenjo Theater, Kennin-ji Temple, Monkey Park Iwatayama, Tō-ji Temple, Philosopher's Walk, Kamigamo Shrine, Ninna-ji Temple, Chion-in Temple, Kyoto Imperial Palace, Jojakko-ji Temple, Gio-ji Temple, Kifune Shrine, Tenryuji Temple, Shisen-do Temple, Daitoku-ji Temple Complex, Saihoji Temple, Okochisanso Garden, Honen-in, etc.

Nara, Nara

• Nara Hotel - Imperial Suite, Main Building - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Nara Park, Todai-ji Temple, Toshodai-ji Temple, Kofuku-ji Temple, Nigatsu-do Temple, Kasuga Grand Shrine, Yakushi-ji Temple, Isuien Garden, Gango-ji Temple, Shin-Yakushi-ji Temple, Wakakusa Hill, Todaiji Keidaicho, Obitoke Temple, Naramachi Koshino, Nara National Museum, etc.

Osaka, Osaka

• Ritz-Carlton - Club Suite - (5 Nights)

* Visit - Dōtombori, Minami/Namba, Shinsaibashi, Shinsekai, Korean Town, Mido-suji, Kuromon Ichiba, Sennichimae Doguya-suji, Castle Park and Osaka-jō, Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan, Kemasakuranomiya Park, Tsūten-kaku, Shitennō-ji, Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine, Hōzen-ji Temple, Umeda Sky Building Floating Garden Observatory, Tempozan and Hep Five Ferris Wheels, etc.

Miyajima, Hiroshima

• Iwaso Ryokan - Hanare - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Itsukushima Shinto Shrine/Aki-no-Miyajima, Oo Torii, Goju-no Tou, Miyajima Ropeway, Momijidani Park

* Nearby Hiroshima - Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum & Park, The Cenotaph & Atomic Bomb Dome, Children's Peace Monument, Shukkei-en Garden, Hiroshima Castle, Hiroshima Museum of Art, Hijiyama Park, Chuo Koen/Central Park

Nagasaki, Nagasaki

• Sakamotoya - Japanese Style Guest Room - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum, Peace Park & Memorial Hall, Clover Garden and Former Glover Residence, Dejima Wharf, Shinchi Chinatown, Cable Car to Inasa-Yama Lookout, Suwa-jinja Shrine, Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum, Kazagashira Park

Aso-gun, Kumamoto

• Takefue Ryokan - Kokyuan

* Visit - Shirakawa Springs, Nabegataki, Sanga Onsen, Yamamizuki Onsen, Kurosawa Spa Ikoi, Kurokawaso Onsen, Oyado Noshiyu Onsen, etc.

Last edited by OliverB; Apr 23, 2013 at 8:24 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Looks like a great trip......

I just got back from traveling a few weeks in Japan as well, also visited Miyajima and stayed at Iwaso. Great place to stay but the rest of the island couldn't interest me. It's a big tourist trap with not much to see, and I'm glad I only stayed one night and arrived in the afternoon and left the next morning. You can easily go to Hiroshima though, although that's also a city that I found not to be very interesting.

If I were you I might also consider splitting your Tokyo stay into two different hotels. Although it's easy to travel around town it's also nice to stay in different areas.

5 nights in Osaka seems a bit much to me, although it's perfect to travel around the region from there. If you are even a bit interested in Japanse gardens I would recommend one day to visit the Adachi museum/gardens. It's a bit of a train ride to get there but it's worth it in my opinion.

Hakone is also nice but two night there would be better in my opinion. It takes a few hours to get there from Tokyo and when staying there two nights you will enjoy the Gora Kadan a bit more, and have one full day to see the sights. Hakone is made for leisure so taking it easy there will be nice.

Last edited by RTW1; Apr 23, 2013 at 12:04 am
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the advice!

I will definitely add a second night to Hakone as I definitely want it to feel leisurely and relaxed. Whenever possible, I try to always stay at least 2 nights in each destination as it's just too rushed otherwise; unless we're really just looking for a stopover between cities.

While in Tokyo, I'd rather not move around too much between hotels, as we're there for 6-7 nights and with plenty of time to explore the city. We'll be doing so much traveling throughout the country that I'd prefer to feel cemented and grounded in Tokyo. I'm hoping to get more of a local feel for the city this way. Do you know if the Peninsula is pretty centrally located and easy to get around from?

Adachi museum/gardens looks wonderful. Is it worth an overnight stay in Adachi to visit this place, and if not, how would you suggest we fit it into our itinerary? It looks like it's almost 5hrs North East of Osaka and not very conveniently located to Hiroshima either. Is there a nice ryokan or inn that you would recommend spending the night at?

Re. Osaka, it seems like there is so much to see and do and we don't want to feel rushed. I've heard from others that one week didn't even seem like enough time to fully experience the city, and since this is our honeymoon and a trip we've been dreaming about our entire lives, we really don't want to have any regrets that we blew through any cities too quickly.

As for Hiroshima, I think we'll likely spend 2 nights in Miyajima and visit Hiroshima from the island during the day. The city itself doesn't seem like anything special and the accommodations certainly aren't very enticing (there's a plan and ugly looking lego stacked Sheraton which appears to be the nicest lodging in town) so our only interest is visiting the Peace Memorial Museum & Park, Cenotaph & Atomic Bomb Dome, Children's Monument, Shukkei-en Garden, Hiroshima Castle, Museum of Art, Hijiyama Park and Chuo Koen/Central Park. I figure we can do all of this within a single day (or a day and a half if necessary) while basing ourselves in Miyajima for two nights.

The only thing that I'm uncertain of is how the heck we're going to get to our first destination conveniently since it's all the way up near Saporro. I would really love to stay at least a night or two (preferably) at the Ginrinsou ryokan as it looks very special and I'd like to get a feel for the Hokkaido prefecture. Others have suggested that we skip Saporro which is fine by me, however I'd like to start our trip in this region and then continue along to Tokyo... I'm not sure whether we should just fly directly into Saporro and then take the train to Otaru for 2 nights, and whether flying into Saporro from San Francisco would be more difficult or costly then a direct flight into Tokyo. I still need to work this out a bit and would appreciate any advice if you have an opinion.

Thanks so much!!

PS - Did you visit Shikoku Island on your trip?

It's been suggested by another member that we take the ferry and train from Kumamoto to several cities, but I can't figure out where to stay or base ourselves. There seems to be a lovely looking hotel in Naruto called Naruto Park Hills: The Ridge however there is very limited information (in English) about this place online.

I'm also not certain whether Naruto would be a good base for visiting the suggested cities of Matsuyama, Kochi, Takamatsu and Tokushima. It seems to be much closer to the latter two.

Matsuyama looks like a wonderful place to visit but I wonder how high a priority the rest of the island is - any thoughts?

Is Naruto a nice place to cap off our honeymoon and a recommended city to visit?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm not the best for giving advice on visiting Hokkaido since I never made it that far north. But your only decent option seems to be flying there..... it will add an extra stop to your trip since you won't be able to get there direct. For just a few days I would be hard pressed to justify that additional travel time.

But ANA has decent prices for domestic flight when using their Japan air passes. And if used wisely you could save some money on train passes. You could for instance fly into Tokyo (maybe stay there), fly to Hokkaido and then to Osaka/Kyoto and only after that start using your rail passes to get to your other destinations. There are also passes for travel around Hakone and getting you to/from Tokyo.

And when using air passes you are almost unlimited in where you go, even a few days in Okinawa might be nice :-).

I based myself in Okayama for a few days when I did a day trip to the Adachi museum and also to the garden at Takamatsu. Nothing very fancy for accommodations but the location was convenient.

For me, but that's very personal, the best experiences are outside the big cities. I like the bigger cities as well but they get a little boring for me after 3 nights. So that's why I find your schedule a bit city "heavy" as you will be spending a total of 11 days in Tokyo and Osaka and then a further 5 in Kyoto. Each worth it, but it would be a bit too much for me as a combination.

What you might also consider is breaking those stays up a little by splitting them into two stays. You could leave some of your luggage at your hotel for when you return and do some day trips with one or two nights along the way. That might work for Tokyo/Hakone or beginning/end of your trip and Osaka with something like a one night temple stay at Koyasan, or the two nights at Nara.

Last edited by RTW1; Apr 23, 2013 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

What I was initially thinking of doing was flying directly into Saporro and taking the train to Otaru for a couple of nights or less, and then continuing on to Tokyo (possibly splitting up the city stay with 2 nights in Hakone and then back to the city for the remainder), then continuing to Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Miyajima, Nagasaki and Kumamoto all by train. I think once we're in Japan we probably won't want to do any more flying as it's just too much and I would rather travel mostly by rail and ferry if possible.

I also agree that we would want to spend an equal amount of time in the countryside and smaller towns and villages and not just base ourselves in the big cities. Do you have any suggestions for small more rural stops along the way to spend a night or two in?

I'm still trying to decide whether the Ehime, Kochi and Tokushima prefectures are worth adding at the end of our trip, and whether we should fly home from there. Have you been to Shikoku Island on your visit to Japan and if so, what were your thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so I've reread every last post in this thread and have reworked and revised the itinerary again. Please let me know your thoughts and please let me know whether it's worth visiting Fukoka (Chikushino) as had been suggested and as a single-night stopover en route to Nagasaki, or whether I should scratch that one from the list?

Here's the new itinerary and I'm still uncertain how to fit the Hokkaido portion of it into our schedule as it would make most sense to begin here (I'm not going to ride all the way north from Tokyo) so I'm thinking of flying into Saporro, but I'm still not sure. I would REALLY like to experience this ryokan here, but I'm just not sure how it makes sense. Is Saporro just not worth visiting at all??

I also still have to figure out how to do Matsuyama, Kochi, Naruto and nearby Takamatsu & Tokushima(probably as day-trips). Is that definitely worth doing??

Here's the newly revised itinerary:

Otaru, Hokkaido

Ginrinsou Ryokan - Takasago Room - (1 Night)

Tokyo, Tokyo

The Peninsula - Grand Deluxe Room / Deluxe Suite - (4 Nights)

* Visit - Tsukiji Fish Market, Ryōgoku Kokugikan/Sumo Hall, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, Meiji-jingū Shrine, Yoyogi Park, Mori Tower Observation Deck & Mori Museum, Ebisu, Lovenet Karaoke Bar, Karaoke-Kan, Trader Vic's, Tiki Tiki Shinjuku, Tokyo Disneyland, Shopping: Tailor Caid, VAN Jacket, J. Press, etc.

Hakone-machi, Kanagawa

Gora Kadan Ryokan - Kadan Suite with Open-Air Rock Bath - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Hakone Gondola, Pola Museum of Art, Hakone / Kuzuryu Shrine Singu, Hakone-Ginyu Onsen, Yama No Chaya Onsen, Gora Hanaougi Onsen, etc.

Tokyo, Tokyo

The Peninsula - Grand Deluxe Room / Deluxe Suite - (3 Nights)

Takayama, Gifu

Wanosato Ryokan - Tenryo Room - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Higashiyama Walking Tour, Sanmachi Suji, Hida no Sato / Hida Minzoka Mura Folk Village, Gassho Shuraku Hida no Sato, Hida Takayama Museum of Art, Takayama Jinya, Shokawa-Zakura, Hida Daishonyudo Cave, Hida Takayama Museum, Shishi-Kaikan / Lion Dance Ceremony Exhibition Hall, etc.

Kaga-shi, Ishikawa-ken

The Kayotei Ryokan - Higashiyama Suite - (3 Nights)

* Nearby Kanazawa - Higashichaya Old Town, Nagamachi District, Kazuemachi Tea House Street, Nishi Tea House Street, Kenrokuen Garden, Myoryuji Ninja Temple, Shima Tea House and Garden, Nomura Family Samurai House, Kanazawa Castle, Oyama Shrine, Utasu Shrine, Gyokusen-en, Kanazawa Port Ono Karakuri Museum, Honda Museum, Ishikawa Prefectural Art Museum, D. T. Suzuki Museum, Kanazawa City Ashigaru Museum, Ishikawa Prefecture Noh Theater, Seisonkaku Villa, Daijoji Temple

Kyota, Kyota

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - Executive King Suite - (3 Nights)

Hiiragiya Ryokan - Main Building Guest Room - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Gion, Sannenzaka & Ninenzaka, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kinkaku-ji/Golden Pavilion, Ginkaku-ji/Silver Pavilion, Kiyomizu Temple, Sanjusangendo Mawaricho, Nanzen-ji Temple, Arashiyama and Togetsu-kyo, Katsura Imperial Villa, Shugakuin Imperial Villa, Nijō-jō Castle, Tofukuji Temple, Hosenin, Ryoanji Temple, Eikan-do, Sanzen-in Temple, Hiei-san and Enryaku-ji Temple, Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine, Kodai-ji Temple, Shimogamo Jinja, Gion Kaburenjo Theater, Kennin-ji Temple, Monkey Park Iwatayama, Tō-ji Temple, Philosopher's Walk, Kamigamo Shrine, Ninna-ji Temple, Chion-in Temple, Kyoto Imperial Palace, Jojakko-ji Temple, Gio-ji Temple, Kifune Shrine, Tenryuji Temple, Shisen-do Temple, Daitoku-ji Temple Complex, Saihoji Temple, Okochisanso Garden, Honen-in, etc.

Nara, Nara

Nara Hotel - Imperial Suite, Main Building - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Nara Park, Todai-ji Temple, Toshodai-ji Temple, Kofuku-ji Temple, Nigatsu-do Temple, Kasuga Grand Shrine, Yakushi-ji Temple, Isuien Garden, Gango-ji Temple, Shin-Yakushi-ji Temple, Wakakusa Hill, Todaiji Keidaicho, Obitoke Temple, Naramachi Koshino, Nara National Museum, etc.

* Nearby Hikone, Shiga - Hikone Castle

Osaka, Osaka

Ritz-Carlton - Club Suite - (5 Nights)

* Visit - Dōtombori, Minami/Namba, Shinsaibashi, Shinsekai, Korean Town, Mido-suji, Kuromon Ichiba, Sennichimae Doguya-suji, Castle Park and Osaka-jō, Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan, Kemasakuranomiya Park, Tsūten-kaku, Shitennō-ji, Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine, Hōzen-ji Temple, Umeda Sky Building Floating Garden Observatory, Tempozan and Hep Five Ferris Wheels, etc.

* Nearby Himeji, Hyōgo - Himeji Castle - (Under Renovation?)

Matsue, Shimane

Minami-Kan - Room 4F - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Shinjiko Lake, Matsue Castle, Matsue Vogel Park, Shimane Art Museum, Yaegaki Shrine, Miho Jinja Shrine, Tamatsukuriyu Shrine, Kamosu Shrine, Buke Yashiki, Former Yakumo Koizumi Residence, Meimei-an Tea House, etc.

Miyajima, Hiroshima

Iwaso Ryokan - Hanare - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Itsukushima Shinto Shrine/Aki-no-Miyajima, Oo Torii, Goju-no Tou, Miyajima Ropeway, Momijidani Park

* Nearby Hiroshima - Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum & Park, The Cenotaph & Atomic Bomb Dome, Children's Peace Monument, Shukkei-en Garden, Hiroshima Castle, Hiroshima Museum of Art, Hijiyama Park, Chuo Koen/Central Park

Chikushino-shi, Fukuoka - ???

Daimaru Besso - Taisho Room - (1 Night)

Nagasaki, Nagasaki

Sakamotoya - Japanese Style Guest Room - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum, Peace Park & Memorial Hall, Clover Garden and Former Glover Residence, Dejima Wharf, Shinchi Chinatown, Cable Car to Inasa-Yama Lookout, Suwa-jinja Shrine, Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum, Kazagashira Park

Aso-gun, Kumamoto

Takefue Ryokan - Kokyuan - (1/2 Nights)

* Visit - Shirakawa Springs, Nabegataki, Sanga Onsen, Yamamizuki Onsen, Kurosawa Spa Ikoi, Kurokawaso Onsen, Oyado Noshiyu Onsen, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

The more research that I do, the more I am uncertain about visiting Shikoku Island as it just doesn't seem to appeal that much to me. Could someone please explain the attractions? It seems like a rather uneventful sea port with lots of smaller cities but nothing exceptionally unique about any of them from what I've seen so far, in terms of sights or attractions. It doesn't seem that essential and after 30+ days of travelling, I don't think that we'll need to devote the time and effort to do this prefecture unless there is really something to see. Please chime in if you disagree as I wouldn't want to regret missing out, but so far I can't seem to find the appeal. Matsuyama looks kind of interesting but the inland and further East don't seem to offer much other than long train rides between destinations.

Should I simply end my trip in Kumamoto (Aso-gun) and if so, which airport would best service the area, either internationally or for domestic flights in order to transfer internationally? Looking at our proposed itinerary above and assuming we end in Kumamoto and skip Shikoku, is there anything that you feel could be added, left out, edited, etc?

What about Chikushino-shi in Fukoka; is that necessary or should we skip it? Is there somewhere else in Fukoka that we should visit or just continue along to Nagasaki?

And any suggestions for how to work Otaru into our itinerary, or should we skip that as well? Is there a way to do it at the end more conveniently, after Kumamoto - perhaps by flight?

Thanks for any help that you can offer!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Edited one last time... it looks like I'm going to skip Otaru unless anyone can help me figure out a way to conveniently get there, perhaps at the tail-end of our trip? I also think that we're going to skip Shikoku. Unless someone could offer incentive to keep Fukoka on our itinerary as it is below, that will likely get knocked off too...

Would it be possible to do all that I'd like to in Yamanouchi AND visit Matsumoto for a day, all based out of Yamanouchi with just a single night stay? Apart from the rail pass, are there any other ways of getting between relatively short (under 2 hr) distances? Ie. reasonably priced taxi shuttles, etc? How would I otherwise get around to places/villages outside of where we're situated if only spending a single night?

Here's the most up-to-date itinerary...

Otaru, Hokkaido

Ginrinsou Ryokan - Takasago Room - (1 Night)

Tokyo, Tokyo

The Peninsula - Grand Deluxe Room / Deluxe Suite - (4 Nights)

Hakone-machi, Kanagawa

Gora Kadan Ryokan - Kadan Suite with Open-Air Rock Bath - (2 Nights)

Tokyo, Tokyo

The Peninsula - Grand Deluxe Room / Deluxe Suite - (3 Nights)

Yamanouchi-machi, Nagano

Kanbayashi Hotel Senjukaku - Japanese Style Room - (1 Night)

* Visit - Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, Shibu Onsen, Shiga Kogen, Takayakushi Wakoan, Otozan Onsenji Temple, etc.

* Nearby Matsumoto - Matsumoto Castle, Matsumoto Alpspark, Norikura Kogen, Nakamachi Street

Takayama, Gifu

Wanosato Ryokan - Tenryo Room - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Higashiyama Walking Tour, Sanmachi Suji, Hida no Sato / Hida Minzoka Mura Folk Village, Gassho Shuraku Hida no Sato, Hida Takayama Museum of Art, Takayama Jinya, Shokawa-Zakura, Hida Daishonyudo Cave, Hida Takayama Museum, Shishi-Kaikan / Lion Dance Ceremony Exhibition Hall, etc.

Kaga-shi, Ishikawa-ken

The Kayotei Ryokan - Higashiyama Suite - (3 Nights)

* Nearby Kanazawa - Higashichaya Old Town, Nagamachi District, Kazuemachi Tea House Street, Nishi Tea House Street, Kenrokuen Garden, Myoryuji Ninja Temple, Shima Tea House and Garden, Nomura Family Samurai House, Kanazawa Castle, Oyama Shrine, Utasu Shrine, Gyokusen-en, Kanazawa Port Ono Karakuri Museum, Honda Museum, Ishikawa Prefectural Art Museum, D. T. Suzuki Museum, Kanazawa City Ashigaru Museum, Ishikawa Prefecture Noh Theater, Seisonkaku Villa, Daijoji Temple

Kyota, Kyota

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - Executive King Suite - (3 Nights)

Hiiragiya Ryokan - Main Building Guest Room - (2 Nights)

Nara, Nara

Nara Hotel - Imperial Suite, Main Building - (2 Nights)

* Nearby Hikone, Shiga - Hikone Castle

Osaka, Osaka

Ritz-Carlton - Club Suite - (5 Nights)

* Nearby Himeji, Hyōgo - Himeji Castle - (Under Renovation?)

Matsue, Shimane

Minami-Kan - Room 4F - (2 Nights)

* Visit - Shinjiko Lake, Matsue Castle, Matsue Vogel Park, Shimane Art Museum, Yaegaki Shrine, Miho Jinja Shrine, Tamatsukuriyu Shrine, Kamosu Shrine, Buke Yashiki, Former Yakumo Koizumi Residence, Meimei-an Tea House, etc.

Miyajima, Hiroshima

Iwaso Ryokan - Hanare - (2 Nights)

Chikushino-shi, Fukuoka - ???

Daimaru Besso - Taisho Room - (1 Night)

Nagasaki, Nagasaki

Sakamotoya - Japanese Style Guest Room - (2 Nights)

Aso-gun, Kumamoto

Takefue Ryokan - Kokyuan - (1/2 Nights)

* Visit - Shirakawa Springs, Nabegataki, Sanga Onsen, Yamamizuki Onsen, Kurosawa Spa Ikoi, Kurokawaso Onsen, Oyado Noshiyu Onsen, etc.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

And I'm considering adding a single night in a ryokan (Nishimuraya Honkan) in Toyooka, Hyogo right after Osaka, just to eat Tajima Beef and Crab and explore the town and nearby attractions. Would this be worthwhile?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:10 pm

A few comments -not really answering your questions, though, sorry!

My summary advice:
I know your fiancee prefers longer stays in each place, and that struggle reminds me of me and my wife planning our trips! I would cut 1 or 2 days from Kyoto and Osaka, and make both Miyajima and Nara just overnight stops. Then extend the Kyushu part of your trip to Kagoshima and possibly Beppu. I think that is a good compromise between your styles of travel, where you won't feel like you are spending too much time in one place but your SO won't feel like you are constantly on the move. Of course you guys might feel differently.

Here is my reasoning:

1) I'm worried that your general Kyoto itin is way too temple/shrine heavy. Don't get me wrong- there are plenty of amazing temples and shrines of different kinds to see there, but you run the risk of it all seeming the same or just not being so interesting after a while. If you can work it out so that you break things up with museums/Maiko make-up photos, swap meets and other activities, it could be great. And those dinners at Hiiragiya are an experience in itself. But by Day 4 or 5 there could be burnout. So manage that. I would plan each day around 1 or 2 geographic areas and prioritize what sights are most important, then decide while there how much more you want to do before moving on.

2) I'm not a big fan of Osaka. Its a nice enough city but unless you are just using it as a base to go elsewhere, like Kobe, I'm not sure it will fill up 5 days. IMO It is just too similar on the surface to Tokyo with less to do.

3) Hiroshima is worth a day, tops, and Miyajima a half-to-full day. Are the logistics of going back and forth from Miyajima twice worth spending 2 nights there? If you want to break up the trip to Kyushu you can spend a night or two in Fukuoka, which is the first city you hit in Kyushu from Hiroshima.

4) I spent a full day (dawn-to-dusk) in Nara, including a few hours wasted on a hike that wasn't really worth it, and easily covered the entire temple complex, which is 90% of what Nara has to offer. Totally worth it, but can very easily can be done as a day trip from Kyoto at a leisurly pace- Nara is about an hour by train from Kyoto station and then everything is walkable from there.

5) Kagoshima was so much fun, and I did it in one extremely rainy day. There is a hop-on hop-off bus that hits the major sites, and if you take the time to learn about Saigo Takamori (the real last samurai and Japanese hero), you'll really enjoy it. There are things to do outside the city that I didn't have a chance to enjoy, and I made the mistake of going to Sakurajima without a plan. If you go to Sakurajima, go with a pre-planned purpose. I could see spending 2-3 days here.

6) Beppu is to hot springs what Kyoto is to temples. I ended up in the tourist trap of the eight "hells" and still loved it. When to a hot-sand onsen built in 1879 as well. Probably could have gone to 5 or 10 more onsens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.