Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Seeking Tokyo wheelchair accessible hotel for family of four!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Tokyo wheelchair accessible hotel for family of four!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:02 pm

I had two trips to Tokyo in 2012, and it was amazingly accessible. I'm a T8 para, manual chair.

We stayed at IC Strings and Conrad. The biggest difference between Japan and the US is that hotels have very few accessible rooms, and they are often not listed on the website and sold only per request. Don't plan on showing up and getting the room you need, and certainly don't expect to receive it as an upgrade.

The room at the Strings was small-ish, but very well designed (Japanese accessible bathrooms in general are probably the best in the world). You would likely not be able to place two roll-in beds for your kids. The location is good, right on top of Shinagawa station, which provides easy access to the main train line (Yamanote) that pretty much gets you anywhere. A couple of stores nearby, but mostly supermarkets, Starbucks, Dean and Deluca. Not much of a neighborhood.

The accessible room at the Conrad is actually considered a suite, and they didn't want to assign it to us (despite having requested it at booking). So we had a regular room for the first night. Problem is, the Japanese have a thing with their toilets, which usually means that it's some high-tech contraption located in a separate stall inside the bathroom. At the Conrad, the door to that compartment was so narrow that I couldn't wheel inside. For the first night, my boyfriend lifted me out of my chair and carried me on the toilet, and then we spoke to the Diamond desk and GM, who came up with a very generous solution. It's really one of my favorite hotels now. Very accessible public spaces, super helpful staff, and the Shiodome neighborhood wasn't bad at all -- once we figured it out. You're right on top of the Oedo subway line, which can get you to a lot of places direct, and intersects other modes of transport. Excellent accessibility, a couple elevators, and you're right on the platform. Also, you can easily get to Hamarikyu gardens (and by extension the waterbus to Asakusa), the fish market, Ginza, etc. It's also easy to get to Shimbashi station, once you figured out how to get to the above-ground walkways. This does take a while, but I found Tokyo to be vastly better than HK and much of Europe, FWIW.

We also looked at the Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt, and abandoned the idea. The GH wasn't responsive to our inquiries (although the website does say they have a couple of accessible rooms), and the PH is out of the way, and transportation is inconvenient. I did visit Roppongi, where the ANA IC and GH are located, and it has a lot of big roads that aren't easy to cross (IC area), but is fine once you're in the western shopping mall area around the GH.

I recommend the Conrad without reservation. The accessible suite is probably big enough for two extra beds, and I think there was a connecting door (although not 100% sure). I would say the biggest problem is getting from Narita to the hotel. We took the Airport Limousine bus, which isn't accessible, so my boyfriend carried me in (we had the first row reserved). Unless your kids are exceptionally strong, this likely won't be an option for you. The alternative is pretty much to take the train -- Narita Express -- to Tokyo station and take a cab from there. The cabs were fine for my chair (one suitcase and wheels in the trunk, chair next to driver), but with more people and luggage you'd likely need two cabs. This may be a bit uncomfortable if you arrive first, because people will be wondering why you aren't getting out of the cab. And nobody will be able to assemble your chair.

There is another option, take Narita Express to Tokyo station, then Yamanote to Shimbashi, then the walkway to the Conrad (or Yurikamome for one stop, which is kinda pointless). This may be a lot of hassle if you have a lot of luggage.

IC Strings is much easier to reach, but I don't know if that's enough to motivate me to stay there. We'll be going back to Conrad on our next trip.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
Here is a photo of me at Komagome station
Oh come on. Strike a pose!
When comparing this hotel to most on those depressing 'accessible hotels' lists, the Sheraton Miyako seems more appealing than I'd thought.
I have to agree. Some of the hotels on those lists ... I felt like I was looking at the vegetarian options in an East German restaurant circa. 1985.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by jenpdx
The alternative is pretty much to take the train -- Narita Express
For four people + luggage + wheelchair, it's worth considering a taxi from the airport. It will be more expensive (upwards of 20,000 yen) than four train fares but the benefits are obvious.

MK Taxi or Tokyo Airporter will quote a rate for a large vehicle.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
MK Taxi or Tokyo Airporter will quote a rate for a large vehicle.
The question is, is that large vehicle accessible? I have no idea about WheelieFlyer's mobility challenges, but the (hotel) minivans I've seen in Japan are useless to me as a paralyzed person. I can't move my lower body at all, and there's no way I could get in without being carried. With a cab, I can park my chair next to the door and transfer in. With a larger vehicle, I'd pretty much need a wheelchair van, with ramp and whatnot. But maybe there are companies that have those for hire...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Thanks for the report back, jenpdx. I've been dying to know how you got on and the report makes great reading!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
http://www.hitachi-gr.com/reservation/mail_welfare.html

3 hour Tokyo tour 22000
7 hour Tokyo tour 49600

車椅子を搭載できるジャンボ福祉車両を用いた、特別観光プランです。 (wheelchair lift equipped)

福祉車両 外国語 女性ドライバー Female foreign language(English typically) driver

(quotes as per taxsite.com)

Last edited by beep88; Jan 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:21 pm

Do please realise that the information is not complete and quite a lot of it is out of date.
Please kindly provide your complete and up-to-date list and/or send updates to the website. Everyone would appreciate it .
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88
Please kindly provide your complete and up-to-date list and/or send updates to the website. Everyone would appreciate it .
Sorry, the list is SO out of date that, whilst I considered it, realised it would take way too long to do.
Jib71 has kindly taken up the challenge by doctoring a different list.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:18 pm

The question is, is that large vehicle accessible? I have no idea about WheelieFlyer's mobility challenges, but the (hotel) minivans I've seen in Japan are useless to me as a paralyzed person. I can't move my lower body at all, and there's no way I could get in without being carried. With a cab, I can park my chair next to the door and transfer in. With a larger vehicle, I'd pretty much need a wheelchair van, with ramp and whatnot. But maybe there are companies that have those for hire...
Excellent points that I simply hadn't considered.

MK Taxi website shows a dedicated vehicle for wheelchair users without the need to get out of the chair. However, this is in Kyoto. So you would need to call them to find out if they offer the same in Tokyo.
http://www.mk-group.co.jp/kyoto/info/news/110821.html

Beep88 has linked to one firm which looks promising - particularly since it offers a foreign language speaking driver. I found others on this page (Japanese only).
http://www7.plala.or.jp/biz/ft/taxi.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks for the report back, jenpdx. I've been dying to know how you got on and the report makes great reading!
I owe the world a few trip report updates. Lol! Japan was absolutely amazing! Lots of fun experiences, like riding the escalator platform, being ushered to the Yamanote train by three JR people at Shibuya station during rush hour, getting stuck in the gravel in Hamarikyu park, etc etc. We certainly made some mistakes, like entering Shinagawa station without an attendant and then arriving at Shimbashi without anyone waiting and no way to get off the platform, but overall it was great. We're going back for Spring Break (staying at the Conrad again and maybe joining the FT dinner).

Originally Posted by jib71
MK Taxi website shows a dedicated vehicle for wheelchair users without the need to get out of the chair. However, this is in Kyoto. So you would need to call them to find out if they offer the same in Tokyo. http://www.mk-group.co.jp/kyoto/info/news/110821.html
This is a great lead, thank you! We're going to Kyoto in Spring (and Osaka and Hiroshima), and I've been researching transportation options there. So does this cab have outrageous charges? The way I read it (and the numbers are all I can read), it's Y580 for the first 2km plus Y80 for every subsequent 425m. Plus Y1000 surcharge of some sort?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:46 pm

flag drop 580 (2km)

each click 80 (425m)

10% handicap discount off meter

surcharge ordering specific vehicle (being this kind of taxi) 1000
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
flag drop 580 (2km)

each click 80 (425m)

10% handicap discount off meter

surcharge ordering specific vehicle (being this kind of taxi) 1000
Cool, thank you! As I learned, in Japan the handicap discount is contingent on holding some sort of national disability ID card, so don't expect to get it, WheelieFlyer. The 10% certainly don't make or break a trip, and we never ask for discounts, but it's very interesting how different countries handle those benefits for foreign visitors.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:36 pm
In memoriam

...This is a great lead, thank you! We're going to Kyoto in Spring (and Osaka and Hiroshima), and I've been researching transportation options there. So does this cab have outrageous charges? The way I read it (and the numbers are all I can read), it's Y580 for the first 2km plus Y80 for every subsequent 425m. Plus Y1000 surcharge of some sort?
I highly recommend Mr. Doi as a taxi/sightseeing option in Kyoto:

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~doitaxi/index.html

I doubt his Nissan El Grand taxi is ok for you without a lift from 1 or 2 people into and out of - but you seem to be ok with people doing that for you. BTW - Mr. Doi is 67 now (same age as my husband) and I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person who wasn't 100% physically ok he's ever encountered. Robyn
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:52 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by WheelieFlyer
Firstly - thanks to all who have replied. It never ceases to amaze me how much information is on these forums (fori?). Very helpful, and plenty to think about.

In response to some particular points:

Getting around:
My chair is a light-weight rigid type, wheels pop off and back folds down to make a fairly compact "box". In western cities there is never any problem fitting it in the boot (trunk) of a taxi and we managed it in HK 12 years ago also. With the exception of the airport transfers (where the extra luggage may create a problem) I am hoping that taxi is a viable option. I am willing to try the public transport also. The point about having to walk miles for the accessible entrances and so on is not unique to Tokyo and I'm hoping that with a bit of planning it will be possible. I am fairly fit, but I have to admit that high heat and humidity will knock me out very quickly!

Accomodation:
Places like IC Strings and Four Seasons would be within budget. The difficulty is that there is no co-relation between size of room and accessibility (often a large room is inaccessible because the bathroom door is too narrow for example). I am resigned to spending a few days calling these places, but want to develop a short-list based on likelihood of having suitable rooms, and location.

What to do:
We have only two days so I think immersing ourselves in one to four things would be better than running around like lunatics. The Meiji shrine would be on the list, but I haven't figured out the rest. Mrs. WheelieFlyer wants to sample lot (and lots) of good food. And for the kids - I just want them to experience a different culture so they see the world is not one big homogenous place.

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas.
The service at the Four Seasons is extraordinary. If you call or email the hotel - ask it to send you pictures of the rooms/bathrooms in the "accessible" rooms (I don't think there's anyone in Japan who doesn't have a phone that can't take pictures - I tried to find pictures on Google Images but didn't find any). You can then determine whether they work for you. And I'm sure the staff will point you in the right direction if the hotel doesn't work for you. You could perhaps do this with other hotels with great service as well. One size doesn't fit all when it comes to "handicap accessible".

I don't know how much food you can actually eat in 2 days. But in terms of sampling a bit with your mouth - and much more with your eyes - check out the depachikas (the food basements in department stores where there are often free samples). They're amazing. No problem bringing home stuff to your hotel room. But note that the Japanese don't consider eating in public to be very polite. OTOH - you'll only be there 2 days and no one is going to kick you out of the country for being impolite. Your call. Robyn
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for all the info and advice. So I did some web research and called some hotels...and the winner (so far) is...the Four Seasons.

This surprised me as I thought it would be too expensive, but IC Strings and Palace wanted me to take two rooms (the barrier free room would not hold us all) so that pushed the price up significantly.

I have not spoken to the Conrad yet, but I did book the 4S in a moment of panic when they said they had exactly one room that would work for us. I can always cancel should a better option emerge.

The guy I spoke to at the 4S was very well informed, spoke excellent English and asked all the appropriate questions about my needs and that kind of swayed me in their direction also.

So - is this a reasonable choice or should I keep looking? WHat about the surrounding area, and transfers to/from airport?

The website says they are "close" to the Palace - but does that mean close by foot or by fast car? Time to study Google maps....!

Thanks again for all your inputs whihc have been really helpful in clarifying what I should look for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.