Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS to NRT: Best way there

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
Even by FT standards, that's pretty kinky.
Not at all. I do it all the time. If you're a *A flyer or you want a flat-bed seat (i.e. the JAL direct doesn't work for you), then going eastbound through FRA only adds 2 or 3 hours to the trip compared to going westbound.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
And the mileage requirement is the same, right?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by O Sora
Yep.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:30 am
mjm
Original Member

A month ago I did NRT-FRA-JFK outbound on LH then SQ and returned on OS via VIE. My new favorite routing. Same mileage required and 2 very nice layover opps. if you time allows.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I believe going US East Coast - Europe - Japan routing has the additional benefit of arriving earlier into Japan, giving you more of that day. If you want to leave after work hours US time, then you gain more time that way by leaving at night and arriving early morning+2.

For my son, it would also have the additional benefit of being able to get on a Jumbo jet and A380.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by O Sora
Originally Posted by 5khours
Yep.
I'll take 5khours's word that the mileage required is the same using UA miles; the mileage required is very definitely not the same if using LH miles.

Also, scoring an F seat on LH's 380 is extremely difficult if you're not an elite on LH (and using LH miles).

Finally, while the outbound trip from BOS to NRT (or most anywhere in east Asia) is often about the same time-wise when flying via Europe and making the same number of connections, the return trip is much longer via Europe due to the adverse winds.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by closetasfan
I believe going US East Coast - Europe - Japan routing has the additional benefit of arriving earlier into Japan, giving you more of that day. If you want to leave after work hours US time, then you gain more time that way by leaving at night and arriving early morning+2.
If this is your primary goal, it probably makes more sense to take an evening flight from JFK to HND or ICN...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.