Another discount airport bus "The Access Narita" launched. Y1,000 year round

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: O Sora
Advantages of this bus service over Tokyo Shuttle

11 rows of seats vs 12, and this makes a huge difference.
121 services per day vs 113
Lavatory available in bus
Accepts Suica/Pasmo/Icoca etc.
No need to buy a ticket before boarding.
Runs on less jammed Wangan(bay side) expressway (subeject to change depending on the traffic)
Departs from a favorable location, just in front of Tokyo Station.
Ginza bus stop is convenient to connect to/from Marunouchi, Ginza, and Hibiya Lines.

The Access Narita and Tokyo Shuttle may share a bus stop at NRT. Double check before you take the bus.
Print Wikipost

Another discount airport bus "The Access Narita" launched. Y1,000 year round

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Dirt
Going from Tokyo Station to Shinjuku, I would take the orange JR Chuo Kaisoku train. It only stops at Kanda, Ochanomizu and Yotsuya before arriving at Shinjuku station, and therefore be the fastest mode of public transportation.

Keisei Bus also operates a bus service between Narita Airport and Tokyo Station. See Discount airport bus "Tokyo Shuttle" to operate from July 3, 2012

The current fare is 900 yen from Tokyo Station to Narita Airport, and 1000 yen from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station. The bus stop is a bit farther away though.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The Chuo Line and the Marunouchi Line take almost exactly the same amount of time between Tokyo and Shinjuku, the main distinction (in my mind) being which part of Shinjuku you are headed to, and whether you would rather be above ground or below ground.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:20 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I took this bus last week from Narita. They don't have a counter inside the terminal (at least at T2) and you pay the driver when you board. It was more full than when the previous posters took the bus, with ~60-80% full. Many were foreigners.

We took the 1:30 bus (from #2 bus stop) on a weekday. The traffic was kind of slow and we arrived at Yaesu around 2:55.

I would take this again if I have plenty of time.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
This morning's Nikkei says that they are increasing frequencies for "The Access Narita" from 38 to 49 trips per day (22 to the airport and 27 back to the city; don't ask me how the math works on that). Most of the increase will be in the evening after 9 PM to accommodate LCC passengers.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
don't ask me how the math works on that
Perhaps they're just dumping surplus trains in Chiba. Like the folks who finish their stint of work in Japan, buy a one way ticket home, drive to the airport and leave their valueless jalopies in the short term parking lot.

[To be fair, I'm not sure if that happens any more, but I remember a news item from the late 90s about the parking lots closest to the terminals at NRT becoming car graveyards ... ]
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by joejones
This morning's Nikkei says that they are increasing frequencies for "The Access Narita" from 38 to 49 trips per day (22 to the airport and 27 back to the city; don't ask me how the math works on that). Most of the increase will be in the evening after 9 PM to accommodate LCC passengers.
It could be that there is less demand to the airport because of the variable of traffic going to the airport and people think that they have to be there exactly 2 or 3 hours in advance or whatever is suggested these days.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:40 pm

I took the Heiwa Kotsu bus today because I just missed the Shibuya limo bus by 2 min. The NEX sucks before 9 am and the next left 10 min after the Heiwa Kotsu. This bus and the Keisei use the same bus stop (31) at terminal 1. Turn right and walk toward the end past the limo bus stops.

The Keisei seems more popular probably due to the more frequent schedule and the extra 100 yen savings. It left 10 min before but I couldn't get on because you had to buy a ticket inside. But I wasn't too keen on trying the Keisei bus because of the lack of comfort and Heiwa Kotsu goes to Ginza station.

One thing that I noticed is that the driver has to do all the work: load bags and collect money. So the bus left 5 min late. A positive was that he drove fast, passing several limo buses. Then because of some juutai on the 9 (Hakozaki) he got off at the first exit and the surface roads were slow. I also thought that he took an odd route. I think it would have been better to stay on the expressway.

So the trip in the morning took 1 hr 15 min to Yaesu exit of Tokyo station or 1 hr 20 min by timetable. The bus was less than half empty so I could find seats with nobody in front or behind. The bus has the same seating as limo bus.

The Keisei had a lot more people and may have had tighter pitch. It was hard to see without going onboard.

I took it to Ginza which took at least another 10 min. Then where you enter the metro is 250 m from the Ginza line platform (it is close to Marunouchi and Hibiya), which was lousy for me. Also the Ginza line always seems to be crowded and has weak AC.

So, it's not that great (for me). I guess you get what you pay for. I thought the TCAT route was better with a smooth and direct connection to the much more pleasant Hanzomon line. I wonder what the limo bus would have done. The bus goes directly into the terminal from the expressway junction at Hakozaki, so I guess it would stay on the 9 despite the juutai.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
I took the Heiwa Kotsu bus today because I just missed the Shibuya limo bus by 2 min. The NEX sucks before 9 am and the next left 10 min after the Heiwa Kotsu. This bus and the Keisei use the same bus stop (31) at terminal 1. Turn right and walk toward the end past the limo bus stops.

The Keisei seems more popular probably due to the more frequent schedule and the extra 100 yen savings. It left 10 min before but I couldn't get on because you had to buy a ticket inside. But I wasn't too keen on trying the Keisei bus because of the lack of comfort and Heiwa Kotsu goes to Ginza station.

One thing that I noticed is that the driver has to do all the work: load bags and collect money. So the bus left 5 min late. A positive was that he drove fast, passing several limo buses. Then because of some juutai on the 9 (Hakozaki) he got off at the first exit and the surface roads were slow. I also thought that he took an odd route. I think it would have been better to stay on the expressway.

So the trip in the morning took 1 hr 15 min to Yaesu exit of Tokyo station or 1 hr 20 min by timetable. The bus was less than half empty so I could find seats with nobody in front or behind. The bus has the same seating as limo bus.

The Keisei had a lot more people and may have had tighter pitch. It was hard to see without going onboard.

I took it to Ginza which took at least another 10 min. Then where you enter the metro is 250 m from the Ginza line platform (it is close to Marunouchi and Hibiya), which was lousy for me. Also the Ginza line always seems to be crowded and has weak AC.

So, it's not that great (for me). I guess you get what you pay for. I thought the TCAT route was better with a smooth and direct connection to the much more pleasant Hanzomon line. I wonder what the limo bus would have done. The bus goes directly into the terminal from the expressway junction at Hakozaki, so I guess it would stay on the 9 despite the juutai.
The seating is normal on the 900 JPY bus ! I don't quite understand your misgivings since you actually have not used the service ! Very happy with the 900 Yen bus, usually walk to the Chiyoda line as I travel light although on the opposite side of station ! If I am feeling tired I just hop on the Marunouchi line and transfer ! To each their own......
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
The seating is normal on the 900 JPY bus ! I don't quite understand your misgivings since you actually have not used the service ! Very happy with the 900 Yen bus, usually walk to the Chiyoda line as I travel light although on the opposite side of station ! If I am feeling tired I just hop on the Marunouchi line and transfer ! To each their own......
If I had taken it today then I would have had a seat-mate, which is not fun. I don't have any misgivings.

I was just relaying some info about the Heiwa-Kotsu experience. It's perfectly ok if you are going to Tokyo Station or Ginza. At that time of day it was just as fast as NEX to Tokyo station even with the juutai on the 9. The bus arrived 10 min later than scheduled. The NEX would have departed :50 vs. :40 (really :45) for the bus. And my experience with a commuter-NEX ride was considerable delay.

Another thing is that Keisei is being awkward about requiring a pre-purchased ticket. If I could have paid at the bus stop then maybe I would have hopped on and they would have earned another 900 yen. Margins must be tight for this operation.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Thumbs up Increased frequency. Departs every 20 minutes from the airport between 10:10-18:10

New schedule effective Jan.27 has been announced.
Left: NRT to city, Upper Right: city to NRT, Lower Right: city to airport hotels
http://accessnarita.jp/public/wp-con...36ed07424a.pdf

Also two wide-seat buses are to be introduced. Better seat width of 18.3 inch (up from 17.3 inch). It has not been published which bus service will use these new buses.

Last edited by O Sora; Jan 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Got into NRT T2 at about 20.20 off CX500 on Saturday night and just missed the 20.44 N'EX. Staying at the Conrad in Shiodome; so had long since missed the last Limousine Bus. The choices were either wait for the 21.12 Skyliner to Ueno plus probably a ¥3,000 cab fare or take the Access Narita bus.

Did the latter, took a cab from Ginza to the hotel: total of about ¥1,800 and probably about the same journey time (with less hauling around of suitcases).
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
JR Highway Bus is joining the operation of this bus service starting Dec 16, 2014. The frequency rises from 61 to 78/ day.

:-: JR Highway Bus is setting up a dedicated bus stop for this joint operation at Tokyo Station. One minute walk from Yaesu Exit, Tokyo Station. This will help easy connection to/from the Shinkansen Lines because the platform of the Shinkansen is just next to Yaesu Exit. Narita Express may have some disadvantage, for it uses the platform on the basement 5th floor and it' on the other, Marunouchi, side of the station.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:02 pm
Yub

The Access Narita website mentions a baggage limit of one 20kg bag per person. I wasn't aware of the limit when I took the bus last month from NRT to Tokyo Station. The driver, who also loaded the luggage, did not mention the limit and accepted my bags.

A few days later, going from Tokyo Station to NRT, the attendant who was loading the luggage was enforcing the limit. He suggested that I take the other bus.

I went around the corner and over a couple of blocks, and luckily the Tokyo Shuttle had just pulled up. I asked the attendant if there was any problem with more than one bag per person, and she said it was fine. She even tagged the bags and gave us claim tickets, which wasn't the case on The Access Narita on the inbound ride.

Interestingly, I later found that the Keisei Tokyo Shuttle Japanese language site also mentions a one bag limit.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Yub
The Access Narita website mentions a baggage limit of one 20kg bag per person. I wasn't aware of the limit when I took the bus last month from NRT to Tokyo Station. The driver, who also loaded the luggage, did not mention the limit and accepted my bags.

A few days later, going from Tokyo Station to NRT, the attendant who was loading the luggage was enforcing the limit. He suggested that I take the other bus.

I went around the corner and over a couple of blocks, and luckily the Tokyo Shuttle had just pulled up. I asked the attendant if there was any problem with more than one bag per person, and she said it was fine. She even tagged the bags and gave us claim tickets, which wasn't the case on The Access Narita on the inbound ride.

Interestingly, I later found that the Keisei Tokyo Shuttle Japanese language site also mentions a one bag limit.
Yeah, the poor driver also sells tickets and hauls luggage. It slows down the operation a bit. I guess it's up to him to enforce the rule. Why not suggest paying for two tickets? It's still a good deal.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:23 pm

Why does the wiki say "Runs on less jammed Wangan(bay side) expressway". The Keisei bus takes Keiyo Rd to 7? They are not going to save on tolls doing that. The only reason would be if it is faster due to current travel conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.